Review: 600w OCZ GameXStream (7/21/2006, merged)

UncleDavid218

trodas, while you make good points, I am not willing to void my warranty. Perhaps somebody else is, but I surely am not.

PM RyderOCZ... he is an OCZ engineer...

The reason nobody answered NEOs replies was because he can never look at the good things in a product... always the bad.

He complains about new stuff when he has an NF2 + Athlon XP. Thanks for asking in a civil manner.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UncleDavid218 - thx. And well, sometimes is good to use the worst approach before it is too late. I tell you one example. I bougth - based on this very positive review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article177-page1.html - Antec NEO 480W PSU. It was amazing PSU back there and don't let the relatively low 480W rating confuse you - it pack two 12V rails with 18A and 16A - so, plenty of power to overclock and have hi-end GFX card at this date.

Anyway, the terrible death of the Chemi-con KZG caps in my DFI LP B could be attributed to the fact, that this PSU use Fuhjyyu caps - known bad brand.

In short, the suspiction of many BadCap members (davemax above all) is probably right.

To put it even more short - PSU with known bad caps brand Fuhjyyu KILLED my DFI LP B board after long fight to get it working stable with at least a bit of overclock...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40325

You can take a look how the caps in the PSU look now there:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2022

And I willing to bet that after recap with QUALITY CAPS it can power back my DFI LP B w/o issue at reasonable clocks again and stable ;)

Now this happen in less that year of running at 200x13. NEOAethyr might look trolling to you, but so far, he is pushing his FSB up to 280Mhz, witch none of us managed and therefore his requirments for clean voltage are sort of extreme.

Futhermore I have to disagree with you on the rule you give to us - one must have new stuff before one can complain about it. That is IMHO discriminating nonsense.

dab - what PSU is on this picture? Because the big cap out there is CapXon, witch is right on the top of the bad caps list ( http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=388 ) and therefore in year or so you can kiss this PSU good-bey if you stress it well.

If you got luck like me, it will also kill your board, make your cap's explode even if they are decent quality like the Chemi-con KZG ones on my DFI LP B...

Futhermore there is not visible witch cap's are used for the rails filtering. In my case of Antec PSU, it feature even hoi-quality Rubycon cap on the imput filtering (that is difference about 100:1 to the CapXon I see there!), yet the output rails filtering caps are Fuhjyyu ones and in less that year they KILLED MY DFI LP B board! :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40325

well...I've had my 700w GX OCZ psu running full tilt for a couple of weeks now in my main rig, and before that it was what powered my main rig before it was my main rig all through testing, plus an Asus P5WD2-E Premium + Pentium D 930 + 2GB OCZ DDR2 + 3x80GB RAID-0 + X1900XT Crossfire (2 of em) for a week and a half etc

about 6 weeks straight of non-stop, overclocked, mega power draw (all dual core cpu's and always 2 X1900XT Crossfires and always 3 hdd's and always watercooling etc)

the psu gets warm enough for the big fan to kick on to where it is audible...and that is about it. Nary a movement in the voltages at any given time I test them.

I'm pretty sure that this psu is everything that the Powerstream 520w was but better

As long as it contain Teapos it will fail very miserably soon.

Teapos give good specs and performance from start, but then die. Active cooling on them (like in PSUs) help increase the longetivity (once again, Sapphire Pure Innovation "Grouper" A9RX480 died in hands of reviewers, so it was about months only lifetime on passive cooling only...) but it still will fail miserably and can took with themselves our board, GFX card and vice versa. I experienced that, others experiences that - hell, BadCaps board are full of people who experienced these failures.

You are just lucky to exchange components at fast rate, that it is ;)

The darned thing comes with a three year warranty...OCZ has a good rep...the price is right...

So far I like what I see compared to my Enermax 600w. It's putting out less heat. It's quiet. 12v rail measures at 12.14 and drops to 12.13 under load and doesn't fluctuate.

Ambient temp was 86F...with a 30$ sperry. Sorry, not gonna spend a poop load of money on something that gets used a couple times year and it's really kind of senseless to be rippin on something and "predicting" eventual failure...

Down the road after alot of these units have been pushed on a daily basis will be the telling tale...

EDIT: UncleD, I'll have those pics for you today. Couldn't post em due to the revamp.

As long as it contain Teapos it will fail very miserably soon.

Teapos give good specs and performance from start, but then die. Active cooling on them (like in PSUs) help increase the longetivity (once again, Sapphire Pure Innovation "Grouper" A9RX480 died in hands of reviewers, so it was about months only lifetime on passive cooling only...) but it still will fail miserably and can took with themselves our board, GFX card and vice versa. I experienced that, others experiences that - hell, BadCaps board are full of people who experienced these failures.

You are just lucky to exchange components at fast rate, that it is ;)

I think I've explained this before, but I'll say it again just to ease your mind if possible

what has happened to you is not necessarily the truth of exactly how something will play out with someone else

period

I use my hardware nearly 24/7 and push it harder than anyone for longer than anyone except maybe Rgone.

My hardware hasn't died (not the old OCZ psu's and not this round of OCZ psu's).

Just because you don't like something or you feel something is inferior doesn't mean it is the truth.

please try to keep that in mind before you Chicken Little through someone's thread about how the caps are bursting (the sky is falling).

NEO: I've removed your last couple of posts because they are useless rants. I think you should stick to your own suggestion that you won't post in this thread anymore. We have all grown quite tired of your rants about anything that isn't your beloved AthlonXP/NF2.

Just a friendly, Happy suggestion.

Quad SLI or Crossfire with a big raid array.. watercooling.. intense overclocks..I think I could think of a few ways to use the better part of 700W..

Thing is, you DON'T want to max your psu, you want some headroom above the maximum draw. Make sense? I hope so.

I see what you mean. But after reading these articles: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html and http://www.silentpcreview.com/article265-page1.html, I feel that the PSU companies are selling us more than need for more profits. The emphasis is always on more and power more, SilentPCReview.com is the only online hardware website I know of that isn't emphasizing more power.