Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

I have been following this thread for sometime, wondering if I would have any issues when I got around to migrating to this board. I have finally got around to it and in my testing over the last few days of use I have not had any problems. I bought my board used, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94341 , that is the board I have, by the pictures you can get any revision information you desire. I have 2 36GB Raptors in RAID-0, connected to the ULI controller, ports 1 and 2 as labeled on the board, 2 and 3 as seen by the RAID BIOS.

If there is anything I can do to help sort this out let me know. I am running the latest BIOS and driver, 7/28/06 BIOS and 7/20/06 v1.0.6.1 driver. The rest of the system info in in my sig.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I have been getting some hiccups here and there now for the past month or so..

On startup, it takes, probably 30 seconds just to get to the little windows icon with the status bar showing windows is loading..the one right after post.

Then, when windows finally loads, it loads my stuff up, then freezes for about 3-5 seconds (mouse disappears) and then everything runs.

If I shutdown/restart soon after loading windows, there's no hang up, but if I am folding, or playing games, It takes about 1-2 minutes just for the selection screen to come up to choose whether I want restart/shutdown/log off/sleep. Then another 2-3 minutes after finally selecting, until the computer shuts off on it's own...

Could this be a driver problem? and how would I check. It used to work just fine and dandy...that's what I don't get.

And where can I get the 12/23/05 ULi BIOS from? Or is it the one on the Disc that came with the board?

Very odd really. But this thread's discovery of the issue generally being with the WD raptor drives makes me breath easier about nabbing one of these boards. My Seagates shoudl be okay.

Though I'm beginning to feel stupid... I should just sit tight and wait for the RD600 and fugg around with that and a E6600 instead.

Crossfire adds some slowdown at the startup, the whole screen flickering and the mouse resetting position after a few seconds. As for before the windows logo appears, you could try bootvis to see if it helps, but I don't have high hopes for that.

I don't have crossfire, but I had been using a friends computer for the last few months that had an A8R32-MVP with 1900XTX Crossfire setup, had the same issues when it got to the desktop but not the after post issue. I did see some slowdowns on shutdown, but it was rare that it took more than 45sec.

I don't completely understand the slowdown at boot at the desktop, when I first got the machine from him I had the Cat 6.7's installed, they exhibited the issue, the 6.8 also did, but when I went to the 6.9 it seemed to go away.....but since he returned and needed his computer back I reinstalled the OS and put the 6.9's on a fresh install it's doing it again, can't figure this one out, it also seems to be worse than it ever was before; slower.

One thing you could try; DBAN http://dban.sourceforge.net/ ; to completely wipe those drives, you would be surprised at the amount of leftover stuff is still on a hard drive. If you have used your drives in RAID for a while and had them on other RAID controllers there could be some configuration stuff left on them. That stuff could have an effect on the after post / pre logo slowdown. I know it's a pain to back everything up and reload, but might be worth it. On that note, if you haven't heard of it you may want to try Nlite www.nliteos.com, allow you to remove all the garbage from windows and integrate the RAID drivers so you don't have to use the floppy drive, also integrate all the post-SP2 updates; http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/. Good luck, hope some of that gets you started in the right direction.

Sorry to hear that, I feel partially responsible. I should have suggested that you unplug any drive with information you don't want to lose. I have done the same thing in the past and I now unplug any extra drive when reinstalling an OS. You should also consider backing up irreplaceable data onto removable media, you never know when a hard drive could fail. I ran a small computer shop for a few years and can't remember how many times I had to remind customers to do so.

Depending on the type of wipe you did you may be able to recover some of it, there are good recovery programs out there.

Very odd really. But this thread's discovery of the issue generally being with the WD raptor drives makes me breath easier about nabbing one of these boards. My Seagates shoudl be okay.

Though I'm beginning to feel stupid... I should just sit tight and wait for the RD600 and fugg around with that and a E6600 instead.

My friend i wou,ld not count on you'r Seagates as i have 4x300GB Baracudas and i tryed raid0x4 duble raid0x2 tryed newest bios and the 5/24 bios that suposed to fix the uli problem and nothing still the same lockups all the time every 10s evrything freezes for 2-3s i don't know what else to try and to think i upgraded from RDX200 for IDE preformance reason to get this even worse bug is frustrating coze DFi ownz but last two top boards kinda disapointed me on the count of IDE preformance rest is great!

This combination of bios/driver dosn't fix anything at all only way to make it work bit better was lowering the controller latency but even that didn't completly remove the error i still get the error @ heaw hdd load or every now and then random time....

Sorry to hear that, I feel partially responsible. I should have suggested that you unplug any drive with information you don't want to lose. I have done the same thing in the past and I now unplug any extra drive when reinstalling an OS. You should also consider backing up irreplaceable data onto removable media, you never know when a hard drive could fail. I ran a small computer shop for a few years and can't remember how many times I had to remind customers to do so.

Depending on the type of wipe you did you may be able to recover some of it, there are good recovery programs out there.

I only ran the thing for 4 minutes, then I hit power button.

Wish I could run a computer shop...i can't even get a job at one....and I'm 24...Don't understand it

Anwyho, I'm going to try the ultimate boot cd's uneraser proggiie, and see.

I plugged it into my other puter, and it didn't show up in my computer..so, don't know if it will work or not.

No Raptors here and I am getting the same freezing crap. I also have cold boot issues, and I have had to do a windows repair at a couple of points because of dlls going "missing" I have to say I will never buy DFI again. This is completely unacceptable for an enthusiast motherboard. DFI's efforts to solve the problem have been pathetic. I have had many different hardware configurations with many different problems in the past, the difference being if it was a highly critical problem like this one, it would be fixed very quickly by the manufacturer. DFI has lost a few sales over this issue too, I build PCs as a hobby for anyone who wants one (friends, family, their friends etc) I build on average 5 PCs a year. None will be getting a DFI board, simply because DFI's attitude over this issue has been terrible. I cannot in good conscience build a PC for someone not knowing if they are going to have problems even turning it on or if one day it will completely fail to boot and require windows repairs. Don't tell me the Sil controller is a viable option, we don't buy the most expensive s939 board available only to use out dated HDD controllers. I'll go ASRock for that.

Pathetic DFI.

Pathetic.

i just got my lanparty ut cfx3200 couple weeks ago. this board is an awsome overclocker got my opteron 170 to 3 ghz but anyways..i am having problem with crossfire (x1900XTX/x1900 crossfire edition). when crossfire is enabled i run any graphic related program i get horizantal lines and messed up graphic.. but when i do no crossfire works fine.

i have also tested each card by it self and it was a okay. bios is updated, and system is stable also.

also using a sony CRT monitor, i have read everywhere and still can't find an asnwer =(

err and i just spend 10 mins typing i click submit reply and my whole reply was gone :confused: