Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

skankehmonkeh: i like the idea of CALS, wish i knew more though, like how to initiate...

pplz does anyone know if the ULi SATA controller does RAID5? It doesnt say it can on DFI spec page, but on ULi website it says it can - so which is it? yay or nay? ME WANTS RAID5

Well, my CFX3200 is back in the box, right where it belongs as the specs on the box are probably the best part of the board anyway.

I am now loading up Windows on a MSI K8N Neo4. I really don't want to load up my brand new server with games and daily apps. SCSI disk space is just too expensive to make it worthwhile.. Back to single vid card gaming until I can sell off my DFI and Nvidia stuff to make the move to Conroe and Asus..

I am having the same issue on an Asus A8R32-MVP. I am not using raid but I do have 2 74 Gig Raptors on sata 1-2.

I was not having this issue until I installed the ULI drivers which I did not really need since I am not running raid. I also get the looping sound in games and it's always the same 2 quick pauses with clicking coming from the speakers then it's ok for a second then 2 quick pauses with speakers noise then it's over for about an hour then it does it again. I tried to uninstall the ULI drivers but got a blue screen so I have to put the boot drive on the SIL controller reinstall the ULI drivers then move it back to the ULI controller. I might just put the bootdrive back on the SIL controller and call it a day. It's not just DFI having this issue.

Not that this is an ASUS support form (ahem) but has the board the latest BIOS, I had the problem on the A8R32-MVP too, a BIOS update and it went away .... I wish I could say the same for the DFI .... I've had some freezes today, it seems to be totally random, it looks more and more like a hardware fault as time goes by.

I do know this is not an Asus support forum but we have the same problem. I have not the latest bios but next to the latest bios. Since both boards have the ULI chipset and have the same issue it is most likely not an Asus or DFI issue but an issue with the ULI controller or driver. I am sure it's the driver since my problem started right after I installed the driver. When I fix mine I will let you know what I did. Nemesis.ie what bios fixed your problem?

I just had my first freeze since switching to the Hitachi Sata II drives. That pretty much confirms it is not a compatibility problem, it happens with any drive regardless of brand.

I'm all out of ideas to try. I've done every combination of bios and driver, went so far as to ask Tmod to mix and match ULI ROMs in with the DFI bioses without any decent results. RMA'd the board once, bought new hard drives to try, bought a couple of RAID cards but without a PCI-E 4X slot on the board getting the speed I want is not possible. I've loaded up Windows so many times I just leave the disk in a case on top of my rig along with a box of new floppies.. I could have had a Conroe based rig with all the money I spent..

I think I will let DFI do without my money for awhile. I have purchased 8 DFI LanParty boards, dating back to the NF2 Ultra-B. I seriously doubt my loyalty to DFI will get any results though. I don't think I will be offering up any free tech support for DFI until they at least own up to a crap product and offer an alternative resolution. For now I'll just shelve this POS and move on..

OUCHIE MOMMA... i'm not sure if i can say that ur lucky to have the income to throw at such a problem to search for a solution... I SAY WE ALL OWE YOU A VERY VERY BIG THANK YOU SEEING AS YOU'VE ANSWERED SO MANY QUESTIONS (whether voiced or not) CPDMF: I totally sympathize with u.. which brings me to what i want to say... my mobo has a week to get its . together otherwise its a ABIT AT8 32X for me; to redeem itself my mobo has to do the following:

1) be able to run with my vidcard in the PCIEx16 slot

2) retain desktop vidcard settings ie res & Hz (98% of time when i boot up my settings have changed)

3) overclock to following - CPU: 260*10 = 2.6ghz, RAM: 1:1 so 260ghz (dont care what timings), LDT: 260*5 = 1300

4) no random BSODs (they all of a sudden started appearing late last week)

5) & generally b a stable reliable POS that it is considering what the . cost me

next week thursday i get my pay check *looks @ mobo 'u have until then PUNK'*

DFI: EVERYONE stuffs up once in a while - thats totally ok BUT NOT COMING CLEAN AND NOT HELPING OUT REDUCES YOU TO A BUNCH OF FOOLS THAT ARE LAUGHED AT (by end users & other manufacturers)

Hello

My 2 raptors are in good health but the system will still lockup for briefly 1-2 seconds and then resume ok and event viewer is reporting both paging error and time out on the uli raid device

"An error was detected on device DeviceHarddisk0D during a paging operation.

"

"The device, DeviceScsim52881, did not respond within the timeout period."

I wonder if the uli raid has a compatibility issue with western digital hard drives?

Is anyone else having issues with the uli raid?

Edit: Maybe i should start fresh raid and change the stripe size from 16 to 64-128k?

i have the exacly same problem

the system hangs/locksup for 3 secs randomly, but i found out that this is a driver issue, as when i run with the defeult windows drivers by microsoft it works 100% fine, but then am not running raid but i got WDC Raptor 74GB 16MB NCQ, and i had this issue on a WDC 250GB SATA 8MB

Windows Driver = OK

ULi Driver = has this issue, even the latest

and yes this is not DFI specified issue as i got a abit AT8 :angel:

then if you want to run RAID then you should spank nvidia into updating the uli drivers

or buy a PCIe SATA Controlller and run the two raptors in RAID on that :)

I must say that reading some of these posts had my a little worried about setting up raid ULI but it seems i have been lucky as there have been no problems so fare and i have just ran HT Tach & all clear hope it stays that way.

Jason, how do you know this will help? Have you experienced lock ups/and or freezes in the past?

First, there are no absolutes. This helped me because I was getting freezes, bluescreens, and lockups before I took the steps I did. I cannot promise it will work for everyone that tries it, but so far my board runs flawlessly.

Keep in mind, there are lots of variables that can affect a system and its easy to jump on a bandwagon. Bad Drivers or Driver conflicts can cause issues also simliar to freeze ups. For Example, Recently I discovered that Nvidia had a problem with the version 9 series drivers for the 6800 Video cards. I confirmed this with card manufacturer. This driver would causes lockups, freezes, and blue screens. It was not a problem unique to me or the brand of card I was using. I knew this because I have another friend who was running a similar series Video card to mine but on a different motherboard. He experienced the same issues as me. Once we deleted the driver and went back to the older series 8 drivers, our problems went away.

I have no idea what anyone elses background is and I would certainly not claim to be a guru or expert, but I have been working on and building systems since the early 1980s. Yes I am old(hehe) but I still have the bug to tinker. I have encountered lots of problems over the years, so my trouble shooting skills always tell me, when there is a problem, be patient and go back to the basics. I also constantly learn from others and try to keep an open mind.

Jason

i have the exacly same problem

the system hangs/locksup for 3 secs randomly, but i found out that this is a driver issue, as when i run with the defeult windows drivers by microsoft it works 100% fine, but then am not running raid but i got WDC Raptor 74GB 16MB NCQ, and i had this issue on a WDC 250GB SATA 8MB

Windows Driver = OK

ULi Driver = has this issue, even the latest

and yes this is not DFI specified issue as i got a abit AT8 :angel:

then if you want to run RAID then you should spank nvidia into updating the uli drivers

or buy a PCIe SATA Controlller and run the two raptors in RAID on that :)

What Video card are you running? What is the driver version? I am just curious.