Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else know what Post Code 88 means? Mine posted that before I RMA'd it.

lol three of the same post in three threads? Desperate eh?

From what I've read, it appears code 88 is associated with a bad BIOS/the board is bad and needs to be replaced.

From another forum:

"Everything supposedly went fine during the update. The application asked me to press F1 to restart my comptuer, and then I received error codes 8A or 88 on the LED depending on if I performed a CMOS clear or not. Everything I found on the internet indicated that I had a bad BIOS update and would have to either RMA my board or send my BIOS chip back to DFI for a new one. "

Installed Vista Ultimate64 last Thursday and have had no disk errors in event viewer yet and that's with the raid uli drivers that are in vista alreadyand no freezing of any kind.

Did you have the errors before installing Vista?

Has anyone else had better luck with this board and Vista?

Also wondering if there would be a different outcome between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions...

I will be getting Vista Ultimate from my school sometime in April, so if it seems that it works fine, then i wont bothering with tearing my computer apart and having it out of action for a week or so.. (like I said before, Being a computer information systems major does not allow me to have computer downtime...)

any of you who purchased the CFX3200 should be returning the board and buying something that actually works properly. DFI has stated they have zero plans to try and correct the many problems with this board. That should tell you everything you need to know about purchasing DFI products in the future (and again, you should return the board and get something else, or demand a full refund from DFI if you cannot return the board to your place of purchase)

My board recently gave me the dreaded Code:88 error on the Manchester core 3800 X2 proc I had been using in it for months. The processor is good (tested it in another board) and the board will run my Toledo core 3800 X2 but won't boot with the Manchester installed (which I would prefer since it clocks better at lower volts).

I contacted DFI about getting my money back but all they would do is send out a replacement CFX3200. I pointed out that all the CFX3200 have ULI problems, RAM problems, BIOS corruption problems, etc and that DFI abandoned support on the boards long ago and that I would rather not deal with another one.

After going back and forth awhile I got them to agree to send me an Infinity 975X as a replacement instead. Before agreeing to RMA I specifically asked if the 975X they were sending me would be a full retail box with all accessories which they claimed it would be. I agree to RMA and e-mail over the necessary paperwork.

I waited a week and still hadn't heard back about an RMA number so I e-mailed again last Friday and tell them I no longer want to RMA, just want a refund. They claim I hadn't sent anything. I give them the name of the CS rep and date I sent the e-mail and suddenly they find the paperwork.

I explained that since I can't ship out during the week, and because I'll be out of town this weekend it was going to be another 2 weeks before I could ship the CFX3200 meaning I'd be without a working computer for 3-4 weeks and AGAIN I say I just want a refund, no RMA.

That afternoon I get an e-mail saying that the 975X was shipped out without my consent and that I'm free to send them the CFX3200 whenever it's convenience. Not sure what part of "DON'T WANT RMA, JUST WANT REFUND" is so confusing, but whatever it's already on the way.

Yesterday the replacement board finally came in. I opened up the shipping box and saw the retail box inside... ok this is a good thing. I open up the retail box and the only thing inside is the board, drivers discs, and manual. No accessories and no I/O shield. I check my e-mail and find an e-mail from the CS rep saying to ship back the bare CFX3200 board (which is completely different from them saying to ship back accessories and all) and to do it ASAP (before they said "at my convenience).

Sure I can use the cables that came with the CFX3200 on the 975X but not the I/O shield. That fact and the fact that they outright lied to me on several occasions for just this one RMA really ticks me off. I really just want my money back, but I don't know what to do. :confused:

UPDATE: I e-mailed DFI again telling them I will ship everything back on Monday and that I just want my money back. They e-mailed back stating they would overnight the accessories pack! ARRRGGGGGGHHHHH! I won't even be here tomorrow as I'll be out of town, so it's just going to sit outside my door until I get back.

Hey man that sucks. Hope everything works out for you!

Installed Vista Ultimate64 last Thursday and have had no disk errors in event viewer yet and that's with the raid uli drivers that are in vista alreadyand no freezing of any kind.

Any issues with the uli yet?

A little off-topic, but I installed Vista Ultimate today without a hitch. No conflicts of any sort, runs smooth as butter on my system.

I see no differences... but my Wireless USB adapter's driver is incompatible with Vista :mad:

Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread. I have had this problem on my Asus A8R-MVP with 1 Hitachi 7K80 sata 2 drive. I would get the timeout errors and resulting paging errors now and again. Enabling NCQ made the errors happen very quickly and the southbridge overvolt did not seem to help. I solved the problem by changing the SATA mode to sata 150 with the Hitachi feature tool, other drives may use a jumper.

I think the ULI M5288 SATA controller is very sensitive to noise, the problems I experienced were only at 250+ htt. This would also explain the incidents of this problem on different boards with different pcb design etc. I think its a hardware problem that no bios or driver can fix. I haven't heard of this problem with the ULI M5289 SATA controller in the M1697 chipset.

I was thinking of buying another drive for raid 0 but after reading this thread I have decided not to.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a serious nightmare with this build. I'm on my 3rd board, the video cards either were DOA or failed, & I can honestly say that I've never had a finished system. The latest thing is now the ULI controller as far as I can tell. I was one of the few who didn't have a problem with it. It has failed on this board if I'm thinking right. I have to do a repair of windows, & at the F6 prompt for the ULI floppy I get the message: "File winxpA64m5288.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 2335 in d:srvrtmbasebootsetupoemdisk.c." I have a DFI Rev.1.0 & an Abit Version 1.02 floppy that give the same error message. I think the controller finally went south.

• 2 weeks later...
here's my recommendation: return that board and demand your money back

the motherboard is faulty and no matter what DFI tries to tell you, there is no fix for it.

Period.

End of story.

any of you who purchased the CFX3200 should be returning the board and buying something that actually works properly. DFI has stated they have zero plans to try and correct the many problems with this board. That should tell you everything you need to know about purchasing DFI products in the future (and again, you should return the board and get something else, or demand a full refund from DFI if you cannot return the board to your place of purchase)

I guess I'm just now coming to my senses....pretty tired of dealing with the hassle of starting this thing up two to three times before it's stops locking up on me. RMA'ing it to newegg.

I guess I'm just now coming to my senses....pretty tired of dealing with the hassle of starting this thing up two to three times before it's stops locking up on me. RMA'ing it to newegg.

I did the same thing last week as DFI has NOT been at all helpful (see my post above). They received my board Thursday, but they wouldn't let me get a refund, so I'm forced into "RMA Repair". Not sure what that means, but I figure if I argue enough or RMA enough times, they'll just credit me or something.