My new system

11.2 volts on the 12 volt line?! you got a problem and this could cause problems with the video card and kill parts. Watch that thing carfully and either replace it or put some of the extra gear on another PSU especaly if your pump is on the PSU. Not that I need it but I have half my fans my pump and hard drives on a old PSU I dont really need it but it certanly doesnt hurt. Dont kill the next video card and mobo too!

You got to have some spare PSU or 12 volt bricks laying around if you can not replace the PSU. Rember that the 64s use more volts on the 12 volt line than the nforce2 that used the 3 and 5 lines.

Yes I know that PSU should easaly be able to take it but obviously something was not right there. Check it with a mulit meter if you have any doubts. All thoughs symptoms could be due to the psu.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11.2 volts on the 12 volt line?! you got a problem and this could cause problems with the video card and kill parts. Watch that thing carfully and either replace it or put some of the extra gear on another PSU especaly if your pump is on the PSU. Not that I need it but I have half my fans my pump and hard drives on a old PSU I dont really need it but it certanly doesnt hurt. Dont kill the next video card and mobo too!

You got to have some spare PSU or 12 volt bricks laying around if you can not replace the PSU. Rember that the 64s use more volts on the 12 volt line than the nforce2 that used the 3 and 5 lines.

Yes I know that PSU should easaly be able to take it but obviously something was not right there. Check it with a mulit meter if you have any doubts. All thoughs symptoms could be due to the psu.

the screen shots were taken when i had my system laying outside on my physical desktop running with the 948U hsf. i was using an older Enermax EG430P PSU which runs everything just fine, i used it daily in my P4 1.6s to 2.8GHz~ system. the 11.2v was a fraction of a second that i took the screen cap, not it's average.

Voltage and Overclock on Air with my Enermax EG430P PSU

Voltage and Overclock on Waterchill with my EG650P PSU

When i had my A64 in my case with water cooling, i was running my Enermax EG651P PSU. this is when the pump failed, two days later. the system still ran tho. i pulled the nf3/newark/x800xtpe out of my case, leaving the water cooling behind. i replaced the chipset block with the stock block using as5 and i used the slk948U on my cpu, which when i moutned it, the mobo was out of the case and very carefully i tightened the knobs down on the cpu evenly.

at the point, it was running at stock bios setting b/c i had cleared the cmos when i was mounting the HSF.

list of what was hooked up to the psu at this time:

1.mobo, 1 hdd, 1 ROM, 1 cpu fan, 1 vid card stock fan w/no psu power cord connect

...thats all...

i started to notice the long page redrawl time and checked out the GART settings in the 6.2 CATs and they were all turned to the OFF posistion, inlcuding the AGP Bus. i thought that was odd so i rebooted looking at the settings for the vid card in the bios. i booted back into windows and nothing had changed dispite using the "retest all" button on the bottom of the GART page. this is when i noticed that my temps were so high. i thought, oh ., i didn't get the hsf mounted correctly.

i had already mounted the hsf correct as i used air cooling method firstly, this is where the PSU volts were so low using my EG430P PSU, so i could do a comparison between a high end air cooler and high end water cooler. needless to say, my temps at 100% S&M 100% Load at 2950mhz, everything was totally stable, even tho i was using the older Enermax.

so i mounted the hsf again, for the third time now, and booted it back up using "Optimised Defualts" and went to check in the bios what the cpu temp was. the temp was around 55C and would fluctuate down to 35C once or twice very briefly, then quickly back up to between 50C and 70C. at this point i turned it off and pulled everything from the mobo, icluding the cmos batt and set the cmos jumper to clear in hopes that it would fix the cpu temp reading problem. i let it set for about 45mins, then i replaced everything and proceeded to boot it back up. i loaded into windows eagerly anticipating the cpu temp to be back to normal. i was very dissapointed as the cpu temp just after boot was 73C. window started doing a pre-downloaded update install and the temp went up to 85C and i quickly disabled that service and rebooted into the bios looking at the cpu temp b/c i was dumfounded at what the reading was. i did the clear cmos deal thinking that the sensor got goofed up somehow, it didn't help at all. once i saw the bios cpu temp again i knew there was something wrong hardware wise. i was running all stock settings and the other two temp sensors were normal, in the mid 20C's; the cpu was at 58C. with the stock settings before would be 29~31 idle in the bios at (2.6ghz 1.35vcore) defualt settings.

then i decided to get out of the bios and go and try to research this issue as i knew the sensor was reading a flase temp. i know this b/c the mobo, being out of it's case, i had plenty of room to stick my finger all around the 948U's base and it was nicely cool to the touch.

BUT.... the system never even got to the post screeen. that was all she wrote. dead, done.

so either the cpu died at stock settings, or the mobo with it's odd cpu temp and AGP issues was the dead piece of hardware.

i know my X800 is Dead

i know the mobo was acting strange with the GART and CPU temps and either the mobo or the cpu is dead.

i'm betting the mobo went dead on me and my chip is fine. so the mobo fried my x800 and then itself.

i've already got my x800, water pump, and the NF3 250GB all on RMA now and once i get it back, i'll try running it with air only to start off with again. using my same Newark chip. then i'll know for sure if my stock running chip died or the mobo.

TGM

Mistress maybe you can come over to my place (with my wife there of course, and no, she is not into kinky stuff) to burn in my rig and test it for me. I have no idea what all that stuff you are doing is to ensure stability but I sure sounds swell. You would sweep Bill Gates off his feet ;)

BTW: Do you like Jager? You should. It is just a little darker in color than Green UV dyed coolant. It does not taste much better but I will get u drunk without killing you like coolant.

lol did you say burn in my rig or burn up my rig hahahah :rolleyes:

i'm not quite sure what you're getting at. my idle temp is 32C at 3200mhz "XP5200", that's 3C higher idle temp than stock, 2600mhz/ my full load temp is around 44C using S&M's 100% load 100% usage. prome95 doen't place the cpu under 100% load, only 100% usage. S&M is more accurate. but everyone wants prime95 stable, which S&M could actually show that even tho you're prime95 stable you're not S&M stable.

anywho, 3200mhz 32C Idle 44C full load S&M

i still have to stable this up with the memory timings tho. even tho the CPU 100% Load S&M is stable and i can run 3dmark, it randomly reboots; thats memory timings.

hi-ho of to work i go, lol :)

TGM

Thats a bunch of BS I have been useing S&M for over a year now and NOT one time has s&m faild after passing prime But I have had prime fail 80% after passing S&M

lol did you say burn in my rig or burn up my rig hahahah :rolleyes:

Thats a bunch of BS I have been useing S&M for over a year now and NOT one time has s&m faild after passing prime But I have had prime fail 80% after passing S&M

don't know what you're bitching about, again, smolt. but it's a common fact that prome95 doesn't place your cpu under 100% ...it does place your cpu under 100% usuage tho. TWO different things

maybe you should do some reading about prime95

TGM

don't know what you're bitching about, again, smolt. but it's a common fact that prome95 doesn't place your cpu under 100% ...it does place your cpu under 100% usuage tho. TWO different things

maybe you should do some reading about prime95

TGM

Im bitching about you keep saying your stable because S&M says so and that S&M fails after prime passes. and that just not the case Everyone one here has told you to stop saying your 100% S&M stable when you are not even close to being stable if your only S&M stable and if you read what i said I would not have to say it again you will NEVER fail S&M if you pass prime PERIOD

Ok let me explain what I went though this last week. 8 people came to me on yahoo messenger and ask me if I could help them with a problem with there pc.One on one ok?

Out of that 8 people 5 of the clamed to be 100 % stable. But lock up gaming. And when ask well what do you get when running AquaMark3 I got everything from well that program don’t like my pc to I cant pass AquaMark3.my pc locks up. When asked how far you get when running prime? I get well I don’t use prime. I read that S&M is way better then prime.And im 100% stable with S&M And when asked were did you read that at? I get yeap you got it TGM tread. And I have also had it happen to me over and over passing Full load S&M and fail OccT and AquaMark3

Ok let me explain what I went though this last week. 8 people came to me on yahoo messenger and ask me if I could help them with a problem with there pc.One on one ok?

Out of that 8 people 5 of the clamed to be 100 % stable. But lock up gaming. And when ask well what do you get when running AquaMark3 I got everything from well that program don’t like my pc to I cant pass AquaMark3.my pc locks up. When asked how far you get when running prime? I get well I don’t use prime. I read that S&M is way better then prime.And im 100% stable with S&M And when asked were did you read that at? I get yeap you got it TGM tread. And I have also had it happen to me over and over passing Full load S&M and fail OccT and AquaMark3

No need to fabricate obvious BS stories to prove a point...

-pickles

No need to fabricate obvious BS stories to prove a point...

-pickles

And there no need for you to but in and call me a lier when i was not talking to you butt

Personally I think it's your PSU.
well, if it were my psu, it'd be the first time i've ever seen a water pump, mobo, and vid card go out using a 550watt psu with 36amp on the +12, +3.3, and +5 volt outputs.

so the possibility it's my psu seem highly unlikely. imho

TGM