My new system

whatever you're saying smolt. is not what i'm saying. and "everybody" is not telling me anything of the sorts. THunda told me that running S&M on 100% load with 100% usage is hardly a way to tell if it's 100% stable.

here's a copy/paste from the link i've already to you on my thread

There is a parameter called Priority, accessed from the Advanced tool button. By default it is set to 1 of 10. At Priority 1, it will exercise your setup, but not stress it anywhere near its capacity. Kind of like pumping weights for 10 seconds, resting 90 seconds and repeating...

You need to set the Priority to 10. At a Priority of 10, Prime 95 Torture will really "put the spurs" to your setup. With it running at that Priority, you won't be able to do much else with your PC. It consumes so much of your system resources, even trying to stop it, using the tool buttons Test / Stop takes a few seconds. MBM, which I like to run while stressing will be slow to update, even set for as fast an update as possible, but it will eventually update its readings.

this is how i test for 100% stable, not that this is ON TOPIC or anything.

1. boot up with said voltage till i can't load windows anymore, back down a touch and run S&M 100% Load 100% CPU Usage

2. if, it passes S&M, i then will take superPI and test to 32mb

3. if superPI 32mb passes, then i'll run prime 95 along with running 3DMarko1SE on looping mode both at the same time for 8 hours.

TGM

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kind of flamming aganst someone who openly states that the rig was in the process of testing is really offensive. Seriously if you cant say anything productive dont say anything at all. The whole Idea of flaming someone for having problems dumbfounds me.

If you wish to debate this on one of the other threads on this topic feel free but as this rig was still in testin it is pointless here.

I didn't say that it can't handle the stuff that you have in it.I said maybe it's broken or smthn.
well, i've been running my EG651P for a couple of years and this is my third system i've used it in. also it's worked with my X800 for the last year w/o a single issue. it even has a dedicated line out for high power required vid cards plus i'm using OZC's line conditioner (since my psu does not have PFC) on both my vid card and 2xRaptors which, in fact, stable up my variance in voltages on all three lines on my psu.

looking at the voltages in the bios and in mobo monitor 5:

+12v 11.95v~12.01v

+5v 4.94v~5.02v

+3.3 3.12v~3.31v (when i use my BH5 w/3,3vmem in bios)

with 36amps on the +12, +3.3, and +5v

i couldn't possibly imagine how it could my PSU.

could you please explain how it could be my PSU?

TGM

• 2 weeks later...
It could had made a short when your pump died.it's strange I never seen an enermax go down to 11.2.

i was using my 650watt psu when the pump died, not the tester psu that happened to spike down to 11.2v for the millisecond i happen to take the screen cap.

the pump worked fine for two days after i took the screen shot.

TGM

oh yah, i sold my beater car and my x800 and bought myself the 7800GS for the SM3.0 and that awesome HDR.

it's as fast as my ole x800xt., the 7800GS in DX8/9 is just around the same performance level, but my ole x800xt doesn't have SM3.0 and HDR and once you get benchmarks from 3d05/06 the 7800GS outperforms not only my x800xt, but also the x850xt.

so here's the card i bought. i choose the XFX card b/c of the board stiffiner that it has as the gpu sits way down the card at the end and the bridge chip sets almost where the gpu sets on AGP cards.

xfx7800gs1a.jpg

TGM

One mod i want to try at some point is to water cool the card. there aren't any cooler out yet that will replace the stock on and the stock one is decent enough. it has a copper slug over the gpu itself.

but, none the less, i've been doing some research and it seem there's some trick to get more performance out of the 7800GS.

it's been reported that removing the stock hsf from the 6800GS and only cooling the gpu will make the card overheat possibly beyong it's limits, and certainly hot enough that you wouldn't want to have it that temp. the article was reporting temps in excess of 90C. thats the 6800GS.

this is the 7800GS Nekkid

GF7800GSNoCover.jpg

it seems that it's not only the gpu that needs to be cooled, but b/c it's got a PCIe to AGP bridge chip on the board too, this is the culprit for the heat wave from the 6800GS

so, i am considering taking off the stock hsf and using my waterblock on the gpu, heatsink on the ram chips and taking the Zalman passive Heatsink svcompucycle_1885_28950652on the bridge chip.

now i know it's mounting arms will prolly not reach to use the push pins, but i can use some medium grade hardness foam to balance the heatsink at the corners, use the mounting arms to attach zip ties to on both mounting arms and pass them both thru the holes adjacent to the bridge chip and zip tie them together on the backside of the card, thus cooling the bridge chip sufficiently.

what do you guys think?

TGM

What's your opinion on the 7900GTX?

i have no idea, i'm not really a nVidai vid card fan. i love my ati cards. only reason i'm going with the 7800GS is b/c it has SM3.0 hardware and HDR... these will be the future proofing i'm looking for, for my nf3 system.

TGM