My new system

EDIT: ALL POSTED PIX LINKED HERE

PIC1, PIC2, PIC3, PIC4, PIC5, PIC6, PIC7, PIC8, PIC9, PIC10, PIC11, PIC12, PIC13, PIC14, PIC15

what do you guys think of my new system i'm in the middle of building?

+ DFI NF3 250GB SKT754

+ G.Skill GBLA 2x512 PC3200/PC4800 2-2-2-5/2.5-4-4-8 TCCD ram kit

+ A64 Mobile Newark no IHS, .09µ, 1.35vcore, 2.6ghz, SSE3

+ Modded Asetek WaterChill w/Dual BIX 4x120s, 285gph pump, Antartica "White

Water" clone cpu block, VGA block, and Chipset block using 1/2" tubing.

+ X800Pro mod to XT-PE

+ 2xRaptors in Raid0 16K stripe / 16K cluster

should be able to run at 3.2GHz 24/7 with water. i've seen people with air running 3.0GHz. i'll prolly run my ram on a divider as anything over 3200mb/s is wasted on the core b/c of it's internal FSB of 800mhz from core to memory controller. but from memory controller to system ram i'll be running the tightest timings at the highest memory bus; not for bandwidth, but for low latencies. the low latencies doesn't appear to make much difference in vidoe games, but i don't only use my computer for video games. i use it for many other tasks, like: web surfing, transcoding, dvd burning, divX encoding, etc. all these apps run best not on high memory bandwidth as the limit of data throughput of the core is 3200mb/s which can be achieved by running a 200~220mhz memory bus. the memory resident apps, or non streaming apps, rely on latency. if you have a system ram to memory controller latency of 40ns, this mean that every cpu cycle will take 40ns to computate that piece of data. as we all know, apps use millions of cpu cycles per second to go about thier business. this would mean that a latency from the system ram to the cpu's memory controller would build up over and over throughout all the cpu cycles it needs to complete the task. take SuperPI for instance using the 32MB run, the latency difference from loose to tight will show a dramatic difference in computational time. this is what i refer to. this directly translates over to real world apps that take millions of cpu cycles to compute the answere of the task you ask of it.

once i have my new system up and running, i'm going to be doing testing of my own so i can see for myself the real difference of non video game apps performance due to loose and tight timings.

can't wait to run 3.2GHz or more with this core :) ..it's going to be a screamer. only thing holding my video game performance back is my AGP card. altho it's one of the fastest AGP card you can get currently. i've been hearing that nVidia is coming out with an AGP card based on thier 7800 core. i hope that ATI does the same thing as i like the rendering of the ATI cards over the nVidia cards.

well thats it for now :)

EDIT: The End ...My Friends ...The End Results!

A64-5200%20_CBI_Smartguardian.gif

Through a lot of trials and tribulations i've finally got my water cooling in and my system running great benching scores, had to get a new vid card but the 7800gs is a nice piece of hardware. this has been a much bigger endevor than i ever imagined, but i'm very well satisfied with my results. :) ..Damn Straight!

TGM

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Geek Mistress,

You new build looks very purposeful.

I am only curious why you went from NF2 to NF3 only. While the NF3 754 AGP route is very safe and stable route, the NF4's have been around long enough and proven to be very good platforms.

suppose you might have a "legacy" AGP board lying around. Or considering the DFI NF3 939 AGP board is a little tooo picky for most, (me included - mine is now the wifes computer :)).

You didnt get tempted to jump on the Opteron Bandwagon either - also an interesting decision.

Good luck with the build any who..

Hi Geek Mistress,

You new build looks very purposeful.

I am only curious why you went from NF2 to NF3 only. While the NF3 754 AGP route is very safe and stable route, the NF4's have been around long enough and proven to be very good platforms.

suppose you might have a "legacy" AGP board lying around. Or considering the DFI NF3 939 AGP board is a little tooo picky for most, (me included - mine is now the wifes computer :)).

You didnt get tempted to jump on the Opteron Bandwagon either - also an interesting decision.

Good luck with the build any who..

well, the reason i upgraded to the nf3 250 754 is for several reasons.... one being the unsuitable offerings of nf3 ultra 939 mobos.

i would of had to buy these parts for a nf4/939 system:

1. cpu

2. vid card

3. psu

4. mobo

the nf4 939 mobos i've looked at or would want to buy are around 280 bux. my nf3 250 was only 100 bux. the 939 cpu's have a limit of around 2.6~2.8ghz. the newark will run on water 24/7 with low volts at 3.2ghz 24/7 ....suicide shots of 3.4ghz aren't out of the question.

with going to the nf3 250 i only had to buy:

1. mobo

2. cpu

this system running at 3.2ghz and water cooling on my X800XT-PE will allow speed over the rated speed of the X850XT-PE PCIe card. i'll be humming along at around 30K in 3DMark01. the only reason i upgraded from the nf2/barton in my sig rig is to get rid of the bottleneck thats holding my vid card back.

also, have you read that performance between the x16 bus and x8 bus are almost identical? thats an AGP 8x bandwidth speed. the only difference is that with the PCIe vid cards is the new technology thats put into them. besides i hear that nVidia is going to release a 7800GS AGP card.

i'll do a system wide upgrade in about a year when the new M2 940 Rev.F memory controller running DDR2-667 ram and a 333mhz (or DDR667) HT Bus. with a new psu, new vid card, 2x1024 ram... all when it's in it's prime. the 939 socket is dead. the last cpu made for the nf4/939 was the FX-60.

TGM

Geek Mistress, Is this the same system that you had to mod the mobo chipset cooling block with 45 deg fittings, if so can you post a picture of your finished product.
i've got the parts on order now that my rent and other bills are paid. i just took some progress shots with my webcam.... i'll post them right now....

<<>>

Picture8.jpg

<<>>

Picture_4.jpg

i had to take out the fittings which i'll be replacing with the elbows. then i had to dremel part of the vga blocks mounting arm that extended out into the chipset block pushing on it. then i had to dremel about 2mm's off the bottom of the chipset block as it wasn't resting flat on the chipset due to two capacitors directly next to the chipset. i also removed the square tin "lelveler" around the ATI GPU so i have full pressure on the core.

here's another dremel mod i did. i have the CM Stacker case and it has a mesh vented round hole in the side. since i don't want to buy the replacement pre-made blue tint glass side panel that Cooler Master makes as it will "frost up" when UV lights are applied, i decided to cut out the mount for the 80mm side fan as my system doesn't need it now, for an unobstucted view of the inside of my glowing UV parts. later i will cut the panel flat and apply a lexan window with epoxy to the inside of the case for a nice clear window.

Picture_7.jpg

here's as pic with the lights on

Picture_5.jpg

here you can see my mobo and water blocks and my Cross Flow fan that i bought with the case.

lights dimmed to see the Yellow EL Wire that i hot glued to the circumference of the mounting studs on the "motherboard tray" of the case (where you mount and screw the mobo to). now it glows yellow from underneath the mobo. :)

Picture_8.jpg

here are some total dark pix of my UV parts that i have installed in the case. altho there aren't many now, i'm planning on meshing out my psu with uv yellow and getting some blue uv fans and the water cooling will have uv blue dye in it.

Picture_9.jpg

Picture_10.jpg

sorry for the quality, it's my webcam. my digi cams batts are dead... so...

and, still a bit messy while installing/modding, here is where i mounted my Dual BIX 4x120 fans. i used zip ties to suspend the rad from touching any metal. it doesn't have any vibrations going thru the case from the four fans, even on high speed.

Picture_6.jpg

the front of the CM Stacker is all 5 1/4" bays that are open to the outside air so i get a lot of airflow thru my case from these fans and my Cross Flow fan.

1. Use 2x1Gb of RAM. pc3200 is inexpensive, and on memory-intensive apps it does makes a difference. i guarantee u, u will notice it.

2. nvidia geforce 7800GS is out. u can buy it in many retailers online. its 7800GT's AGP counterpart. sooo they have to clock down the speed abit to adapt the AGP bus, but its still a good bang of the buck for $300. I actually also prefer 6800GS AGP (unlockable pipes) for $212. Once unlock, they will have the same pipelines as GT and wit higher clock, it leaves 6800GT in the dust. for $212 (+tax/shipping i guess)