My new system

One mod i want to try at some point is to water cool the card. there aren't any cooler out yet that will replace the stock on and the stock one is decent enough. it has a copper slug over the gpu itself.

Is it loud? My EN6600GT is jet engine loud. Together with my six-year old HDD the two are the loudest components of my system, and come to think of it the only two things actually making significant noise.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 7800GS? i don't have it yet... it'll be here on thursday.

and all reports say even on full spin it's quiet.

you gotta remember this is a nex gen core the G70. on top of that the AGP version is underclocked compared to the GTX and the more pipes the hotter the core runs. the GTX has 24, GT has 20 and the GS has 16.... so the GS gpu is underclocked and has the least amount of pixel shader pipelines through the core so it's pretty quiet i would presume and agree with the reviews.

also, you know how i went thru all that work to mod my water blocks and get the elbow to fit and all that? well it's out the window now. the freaking 7800GS is as wide as my mobo! and since it's a PCIe x16 gpu with an AGP bridge chip, the gpu sits way back on the board towards the front of the case. so no chipset water block, dam, i wanted to use it too, even if it makes no diference.

BUT, a forum friend sent me one of those Evercool VC-RE he had laying around so that i can replace that anemic chipset cooler.

no chipset water cooling for me. oh well, i took the chipset hsf out and plugged it into my tester psu and it was really silent and quality made, all copper design so it was pretty heavy; felt good in my hand. it also glows half blue and half red. i immediately wondered if i could replace the red led with a blue one for a solid blue cooler, lol. mod time on that soon enough. ;)

so here's what i got that fits under the 7800 and still cools the chipset pretty well.

ChipsetFan_VC-RE.jpg

if anyone would like to see the fan in action with the leds, i'd be happy to take a pic of that for you. yes, i'm bored without any new equipment to play with, lol.

TGM

WOW!I wish I had such friends that send you stuff and not otherwise.Cool!

well, my friends just don't buy me things for no reason. this time a friend saw i needed help and he could help out, so he did. other friends buy my equipment i'm drooling over, that i wish i had, b/c i've helped them either build their system and they're really happy with it, or i've fixed their system with no thought of compensation.

the thing about me is that i go all out to help someone right out of the blue and i really enjoy fixing things. they, when they see an opportunity, and want to repay my efforts out of graditude will do so, out of the blue.

you get back what you put out into the world, it might not be from the same person, but it comes back to you in many ways. :)

at least thats how life works me. i don't have much money. i'm on a fixed income, but i work my little heart out consulting, building, fixing computers and computer networks out of the sheer joy of it, asking for nothing in return. and people respond to that.

TGM

Hey, now that's odd! Here's what you don't see everyday, TGM and i are alike :)

But there is no way in heck you're as clean as me, THEY CALL ME MR.CLEAN!! How is your system coming along Miss? Just ordered an Opteron 165 Retail and a 74GB Raptor and everything else is in the SIG, nice can't wait until Friday dude.....

Have you ever considered one of these ?

I saw someone using it as their chipset cooler in another thread. He says it fits right under the video card.

yes, i've seen that cooler. so it does fit under a 7800 vid card? i'm sure it 1/4" ID little bottle neck. but the thing is, i got the almost $400 water cooling kit and i really wanted to use all of it.

like i was saying in the post above, i don't have the money to spend on another cooler at this point.. i spent up my 4 or 5 months savings, plus a xmass gift from my parents just to get what i'm buiollding now.

maybe i'll think about it in a month or two.

right now i'm interrested most in overclocking my cpu frequency and my gpu/mem frequencies.

if it comes down to the point that water cooling the 7800GS isn't worth the effort then i may just run the cpu circuit alone and fashion up a water chiller and gat some 3.5GHz+ cpu frequencies :)

right now, it's soooo boring. i'm still waiting for my newly RAM'd parts to get back and my new vid card. i'm unsure of when they're all coming. i believe the 7800GS will be here tomo, the mobo maybe friday or monday (newegg is out of stock and i had to order from elsewhere), the x800 could be as long as next tuesday, and the pump? who the hell knows, i've tried sending them messages asking when it'll be here. the first time i messeged then i got a quick response, now, 10 days later, nothing.

so i'm still waiting on everything, and i'm bored out my skull.

i've resorted to organising all my hard drives, from all my computers, together to get rid of the duplicates, lol.

TGM

Hey, now that's odd! Here's what you don't see everyday, TGM and i are alike :)

But there is no way in heck you're as clean as me, THEY CALL ME MR.CLEAN!! How is your system coming along Miss? Just ordered an Opteron 165 Retail and a 74GB Raptor and everything else is in the SIG, nice can't wait until Friday dude.....

yes i am as clean as you, i take a shower everyday angel-smiley-022.gif

TGM

yes, i've seen that cooler. so it does fit under a 7800 vid card? i'm sure it 1/4" ID little bottle neck. but the thing is, i got the almost $400 water cooling kit and i really wanted to use all of it.

If I'm not too much mistaken, the stock chipset cooler is a half inch tall. That one is 0.43" tall. So if it fits over the stock it should fit under that one as well. If and when I watercool my rig I'm going to actually make myself a manifold, and this way the 1/4" wouldn't be a bottleneck for the rest of the components.

I was wondering if that Evercool would fit under the GFX card I am going to be getting for my Venus board, I think you guys (and gals) just answered my question. The Graphics card will be the EVGA 7900 GTX 512MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130280

So I am hoping that the Evercool will fit underneath even when I do a SLI set up.

Can anyone attest that the Evercool Chipset cooler will fit under a Graphic(s) cards on a Venus board even if I go SLI?

I was wondering if that Evercool would fit under the GFX card I am going to be getting for my Venus board, I think you guys (and gals) just answered my question. The Graphics card will be the EVGA 7900 GTX 512MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130280

So I am hoping that the Evercool will fit underneath even when I do a SLI set up.

Can anyone attest that the Evercool Chipset cooler will fit under a Graphic(s) cards on a Venus board even if I go SLI?

at the risk of feeling kinda embarrassed here.... what's the Venus board? Intel? or maybe the Express 3200? either way the Evercool VC-RE chipsethfs is no taller than a pci slot. so it should fit under any card. only one thing that would stop it, and this would be highly unlikely, is the vid card lock getting in the way. but like i said thats all but impossible as they would never place a chipset that close to the end of the graphics port.

did some more searching and....

ahh yes, yet another NF4 mobo. i guess they're really trying to fix things on those nf4's and add about everything cept the kitchen sink, lol.

imageview.php?image=3233

courtesy of hardwaresecrets.com

they're all the same as far as pci height, i would imagine there would be no troubles placing the VC-RE in there at all. the stock chipset cooler with it's funny topper on there is actually taller than the VC-RE.

TGM