Angry's Blog of Doom (or idiocy....take your pick)

Angry_Games

In the short time I've been around on this forum I've come to realize that it's very difficult to be an American.

I don't state that as criticism, but the whole thing about being the "right" American, as many posts are about, seems to be so complicated.

My question:

Is it really that hard to be an American?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question:

Is it really that hard to be an American?

these days it sure seems to be hard to be an American, and harder to be a GOOD american (since we are such a polarized nation...religious zealots, tree huggers, dope heads, ACLU types, people who just don't care about much of anything...everyone gets so offended so easily that you almost have to stay silent and say nothing...)

I don't know if I am a good American or not

I try to be

but I don't know if I am

I am not by some person's standards I am sure

I am by other's standards

who knows

I never really thought about it until you said something though...being an American is pretty hard =/

This question got me thinking too. I do know its made tough by people who go around saying that we are the greatest country in the world and that everyone should kiss our feet. Granted I love my country and I am very happy and feel blessed that I was born here but like Lewis Black's analogy sometimes its like the guy who comes to the office everyday and tells everyone how great he is. Wouldn't ya get tired of that and just want to hit him?

So I don't know if it is hard, but I do try to respect everyone no matter what and hear them out because I feel like that doesn't happen a whole lot anywhere in this world these days. I think its hard to live anywhere in this crazy world.

Feelings on the proposed may day march?

By Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pro-immigration activists say a national boycott and marches planned for May 1 will flood America's streets with millions of Latinos to demand amnesty for illegal immigrants and shake the ground under Congress as it debates reform.

Such a massive turnout could make for the largest protests since the civil rights era of the 1960s, though not all Latinos were comfortable with such militancy, fearing a backlash in Middle America.

"There will be 2 to 3 million people hitting the streets in Los Angeles alone. We're going to close down Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Tucson, Phoenix, Fresno," said Jorge Rodriguez, a union official who helped organize earlier rallies credited with rattling Congress as it weighs the issue.

Immigration has split Congress, the Republican Party and public opinion. Conservatives want the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants returned to Mexico and a fence built along the border.

Others, including President George W. Bush, want a guest-worker program and a path to citizenship. Most agree some reform is needed to stem the flow of poor to the world's biggest economy.

"We want full amnesty, full legalization for anybody who is here (illegally)," Rodriguez said. "That is the message that is going to be played out across the country on May 1."

Organizers have timed the action for May Day, a date when workers around the world often march for improved conditions, and have strong support from big labor and the Roman Catholic church. They vow that America's major cities will grind to a halt and its economy will stagger as Latinos walk off their jobs and skip school.

In California on Thursday, the state senate passed a resolution recognizing "The Great American Boycott of 2006," saying it would educate the United States about the contributions made by immigrants. The measure passed 24-13 along party lines with dissenting Republicans arguing that it sanctioned lawbreaking and encouraged children to skip school.

Teachers' unions in major cities have said children should not be punished for walking out of class. Los Angeles school officials said principals had been told that they should allow students to leave but walk with them to help keep order.

In Chicago, Catholic priests have helped organize protests, sending information to all 375 parishes in the archdiocese.

CRITICS CHARGE INTIMIDATION

Chicago activists predict that the demonstrations will draw 300,000 people.

In New York, leaders of the May 1 Coalition said a growing number of businesses had pledged to close and allow their workers to attend a rally in Manhattan's Union Square.

Large U.S. meat processors, including Cargill Inc., Tyson Foods Inc and Seaboard Corp said they will close plants due to the planned rallies.

Critics accuse pro-immigrant leaders of bullying Congress and stirring up uninformed young Latinos by telling them that their parents were in imminent danger of being deported.

"It's intimidation when a million people march down main streets in our major cities under the Mexican flag," said Jim Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman volunteer border patrol group. "This will backfire," he said.

Some Latinos have also expressed concerns that the boycott and marches could stir up anti-immigrant sentiment.

Cardinal Roger Mahony of the Los Angeles archdiocese, an outspoken champion of immigrant rights, has lobbied against a walkout. "Go to work, go to school, and then join thousands of us at a major rally afterward," Mahony said.

And Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who has long fought for immigrant rights, has said he expects protesters to be "lawful and respectful" and children to stay in school.

In Washington on Thursday, immigrant-rights activists brushed off talk of a backlash.

"This is going to be really big. We're going to have millions of people," said Juan Jose Gutierrez, director of the Latino Movement USA. "We are not concerned at all. We believe it's possible for Congress to get the message that the time to act is now."

(Additional reporting by Aarthi Sivaraman in Los Angeles, Dan Trotta in New York and Michael Conlon in Chicago)

The reason we are in this mess today is because of our infamous government for the last 30 plus years has done little to secure the US borders or enforce our laws.

That allowed our economy to build around the illegal alien work force.

Just look at our US housing building over 1.5 million homes this year and driving our booming ecomomy.

Those houses are being built for most part by illegals. If we kicked them out now we will have a disaster on our hands. On the other hand if we had enforced our borders our economy would be less robust but stronger in the sense that everyone would be making more money. Supply and demand.

Put another way we would still get cheap goods from China etc, but all would be making more here. POX on both parties for doing this to us.

i don't really mind that immigrants and migrants are going to march

marching is part of being an american

I'm not really down with flying a flag that isn't american while doing it though

these people came here to be americans

you should be marching and waving an AMERICAN flag

and

*GASP*

the ONLY (and I MEAN ONLY) intelligent thing President Puzzlehead Putz has ever said he said yesterday (I caught this on CNN)

there's a new spanish version of the national anthem floating around, and someone asked President Puzzlehead Putz if he thought we should allow the national anthem to be sung in spanish

and his reply, god bless is puzzleheaded soul was dead-on:

"no, it should be sung only in english. If you come to america, you should learn to speak english"

(paraphrased)

amen brother

I don't have no qualms about mexicans continuing to teach their kids spanish, germans teaching their kids german, bosnians teaching their kids...bosnian? you get my idea.

But if I move to France, I'm learning French as fast as I can, and teaching my kids both french and english.

If I move to Faroffistan, i'm teaching them Faroffistani and my native language etc.

We also seem to forget that we actually recruited Mexicans to come work in this country when there was a labor shortage during WWI and WWII to help build the railroads and such. When everyone came home, Operation Wetback (and yes that was what it was called) was enforced to try to throw them back out. It seems like our tolerance of immigrants ebbs and flows with the economy and I agree with Migo if they were to force them all back out it would be havoc.

The marches are great. Its about time that people's attention is called to this issue so that something is done to not only benefit Mexicans but American citizens as well. You can't force that many people out of this country and they work hard too hard to be called criminals and thrown in jail because they are here illegally. That isn't a long term or humane solution to the problem.

The border between the United States and Mexico is an imaginary line that we stuck there after the Mexican American War and Manifest Destiny is what got us into this mess. We took land away from the Mexicans that was rightfully theirs and have continued to use that border and Mexico to our advantage.

I received this by email. I checked these quotes out and they are accurate:

IF YOU ARE STILL CONFUSED ABOUT THE IMMIGRATION MESS WAIT UNTIL YOU READ THE

FOLLOWING.

HISPANIC LEADERS SPEAK OUT!

Augustin Cebada, Brown Berets; "Go back to Boston! Go back to Plymouth Rock, Pilgrims! Get out! We are the future. You are old and tired. Go on. We have beaten you. Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die . Through love of having children, we are going to take over".

Richard Alatorre, Los Angeles City Council. "They're afraid we're going to take over the governmental institutions and other institutions. They're right. We will take them over . . . We are here to stay."

Excelsior, the national newspaper of Mexico, "The American Southwest seems to be slowly returning to the jurisdiction of Mexico without firing a single shot."

Professor Jose Angel Gutierrez, University of Texas; "We have an aging white America. They are not making babies. They are dying. The explosion is in our population . . . I love it. They are shitting in their pants with fear. I love it."

Art Torres, Chairman of the California Democratic Party, "Remember 187--proposition to deny taxpayer funds for services to non-citizens--was the last gasp of white America in California."

Gloria Molina, Los Angeles County Supervisor, "We are politicizing every single one of these new citizens that are becoming citizens of this country . . . I gotta tell you that a lot of people are saying, "I'm going to go out

there and vote because I want to pay them back."

Mario Obledo, California Coalition of Hispanic Organizations and California State Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare under Governor Jerry Brown, also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Bill Clinton, "California is going to be a Hispanic state. Anyone who doesn't like it should leave."

Jose Pescador Osuna, Mexican Consul General , "We are practicing 'La Reconquista' in California."

Professor Fernando Guerra, Loyola Marymount University; "We need to avoid a white backlash by using codes understood by Latinos . . . "

Are these just the words of a few extremists? Consider that we could fill up many pages with such quotes. Also, consider that these are mainstream Mexican leaders.

THE U.S. VS MEXICO: On February 15, 1998, the U.S. And Mexican soccer teams met at the Los Angeles Coliseum. The crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Mexican even though most lived in this country. They booed during the National Anthem and U.S. Flags were held upside down. As the match progressed, supporters of the U.S. Team were insulted, pelted with projectiles, punched and spat upon. Beer and trash were thrown at the U.S. Players before and after the match. The coach of the U.S. Team, Steve Sampson said, "This was

the most painful experience I have ever had in this profession."

Did you know that immigrants from Mexico and other non-European countries can come to this country and get preferences in jobs, education, and government contracts? It's called affirmative action or racial privilege.

The Emperor of Japan or the President of Mexico could migrate here and immediately be eligible for special rights unavailable for Americans of European descent. Recently, a vote was taken in the U.S. Congress to end

this practice. It was defeated. Every single Democratic senator except Ernest Hollings voted to maintain special privileges for Hispanic, Asian and African immigrants. They were joined by thirteen Republicans. Bill Clinton and Al Gore have repeatedly stated that they believe that massive immigration from countries like Mexico is good. They have also backed special privileges for these immigrants. Corporate America has signed on to the idea that minorities and third world immigrants should get special, privileged status. Some examples are Exxon, Texaco, Merrill Lynch, Boeing, Paine Weber, Starbucks and many more.

DID YOU KNOW?: Did you know that Mexico regularly intercedes on the side of the defense in criminal cases involving Mexican nationals? Did you know that Mexico has NEVER extradited a Mexican national accused of murder in the U.S. In spite of agreements to do so? According to the L.A. Times, Orange County, California is home to 275 gangs with 17,000 members;

98% of which are Mexican and Asian. How's your county doing?

According to a New York Times article dated May 19, 1994, 20 years after the great influx of legal immigrants from Southeast Asia, 30% are still on welfare compared to 8% of households nationwide.

A Wall Street Journal editorial dated December 5, 1994 quotes law enforcement officials as stating that Asian mobsters are the "greatest criminal challenge the country faces." Not bad for a group that is still under 5% of the population.

Is education important to you? Here are the words of a teacher who spent over 20 years in the Los Angeles School system. "Imagine teachers in classes containing 30-40 students of widely varying attention spans and

motivation, many of whom aren't fluent in English. Educators seek learning materials likely to reach the majority of students and that means fewer words and math problems and more pictures and multicultural references."

WHEN I WAS YOUNG: When I was young, I remember hearing about the immigrants that came through Ellis Island. They wanted to learn English. They wanted to breath free. They wanted to become Americans. Now too many immigrants come here with demands. They demand to be taught in their own language. They demand special privileges--affirmative action. They demand ethnic studies that glorify their culture.

Looky here!!! AG and I actually agree on a subject.

I hope all immigrants will march on Monday. It's their right as legal Americans to march and voice their opinion.

Oh wait! I sure hope he wasn't talking about illegal immigrants. LOL

I mean really, we have a legal way to enter the country that works. Why should people that enter from Mexico illegally be treated any different than someone from Great Britain, Australia or China that enters the country illegally?

i don't really mind that immigrants and migrants are going to march

marching is part of being an american

I'm not really down with flying a flag that isn't american while doing it though

these people came here to be americans

you should be marching and waving an AMERICAN flag

and

*GASP*

the ONLY (and I MEAN ONLY) intelligent thing President Puzzlehead Putz has ever said he said yesterday (I caught this on CNN)

there's a new spanish version of the national anthem floating around, and someone asked President Puzzlehead Putz if he thought we should allow the national anthem to be sung in spanish

and his reply, god bless is puzzleheaded soul was dead-on:

"no, it should be sung only in english. If you come to america, you should learn to speak english"

(paraphrased)

amen brother

I don't have no qualms about mexicans continuing to teach their kids spanish, germans teaching their kids german, bosnians teaching their kids...bosnian? you get my idea.

But if I move to France, I'm learning French as fast as I can, and teaching my kids both french and english.

If I move to Faroffistan, i'm teaching them Faroffistani and my native language etc.

heh momma is a history major (or sociology so she's always studying immigrants and other social issues as well as historical issues)

but this is like the only thing we disagree on (well, a certain aspect of it that I don't need to go into here).

and migo, I get some of those tinfoil hat emails too from Freepress and 9/11.org etc and I like reading them, but I don't take them too seriously because they are used for political reasons

the problem with people in this country now is they never want to hear the whole story, they just read or see news bits and blurbs where a single quote or two is taken OUT OF CONTEXT

now when you take something out of context, almost always it is for the benefit of the person or organization that is...taking it out of context and presenting it to you.

Some stuff you know...can't be excused

but most stuff (like the stuff you posted) i can guarantee you is taken out of context for the most part for a single reason (and it works...and not just on you, but on everyone that reads it and signs up for these things that takes them seriously!).

That single reason is to fire you up to the point where you don't do any homework and find out the whole story

because every story has two different sides to it.

this is why i don't listen to right wing conservative radio blowhards nor watch Fox News. I think they are nothing but a bunch of...creepy people who love love love to use things out of context or scream so loud about a single thing that no one can argue the ENTIRE POINT.

Ask Rush or Bill O'Reilly

this is also why I don't listen to liberal crap like Air America...because you get screaming left wing liberals who do the SAME EXACT THING

they will harp on single line of a single paragraph from a single speech until you are so incensed that you don't want to hear the whole story, you only hear what these people are telling you.

POLARIZED

that's your word of the decade

because right now that is exactly what this country is...polarized. Not politicized. Polarized. There are so many people who just know they are right. Abortion is bad. No abortion is a woman's right. Intelligent design is real. No evolution is real. The ten commandments should be forced down your throat in public, state/federal owned places. No, separation of church and state and we'll fight you for it. GAY MARRIAGE WILL MAKE OTHERS GAY!!! (this is a TRUE statement made by the churchies here in Idaho and other states). Gay marriage is good and we should not disciminate against any person (which is what our constitution states...doesn't say anything about sexual preference).

and so you guys get so riled up and pay so much attention to things that are so unimportant (I mean, how important really is it if gays can get married or you have to look at the ten commandments statue in the corner of some courthouse that most of us only have to go to when we are in trouble?).

and you don't have time to be angry about the REAL issues that should be taken care of....like how we have lost our will to succeed in being the leader in inventing new tech and other new crap that the world just has to have.

And then after inventing it, manufacturing it and distributing it to the world.

Teaching our kids something in school like MATH or SCIENCE or something useful. Remember the 40's through the end of the 60's? We were the king of the world in medicine, science, tech, etc.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the continuing downfall of America. Like every high powered empire, they all have to fall. I am frightened that our time of decline has begun.

What is most frightening is that we have something that no other world empire ever had....the power to destroy the planet in about 1 hour or less. And crazy mofos in the government (idiot republicans and idiot democrats and that single idiot independent/libertarian lol) including Prez Puzzlehead Putz I think would not even hesitate to use such power the instant they begin to realize that our time of decline is real and happening.

ah well

what do I know

we are going to run off to Canada if it gets too bad lol