Angry's Blog of Doom (or idiocy....take your pick)

Angry_Games

Hey Angry...I got a question for you...and pleae don't kill me hehehe

So I see lots of people here have pics as signatures...so I sorta created one and wanted to know how the heck do I make it appear as my sig?

I didn't find any options under the CP/sIGNATURE to upload anything or post a link to a Hosting website so the image appears as my sig?

I know it's a stupid question but it's my fist time doing it and I found no info on how to do this here ....

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...2&postcount=135

Hey Angry...I got a question for you...and pleae don't kill me hehehe

So I see lots of people here have pics as signatures...so I sorta created one and wanted to know how the heck do I make it appear as my sig?

I didn't find any options under the CP/sIGNATURE to upload anything or post a link to a Hosting website so the image appears as my sig?

I know it's a stupid question but it's my fist time doing it and I found no info on how to do this here ....

Thanks in advance...

What is my max voltage for my 170 opty before I fry it? Temps are not a problem. right now I have it stable at 2.8 @1.59v (34 C IHS removed) for about 16 hours on prime 95 both cores.

tech questions are for the appropriate section...which is NOT this section (nor this thread)

trying to post here to get some help is only going to result in getting yelled at by me other others lol

I thought that since I asked and since you were so kind as to guide me here that I might throw my 2 cents in...

Like you I am a realist. I, too, have read and studied a great deal of religion, philosopy, and general truth seeking. Being such, I also agree with much of what you have to say.

When you say none do it like we do I think you are referring to the fact that we as humans are the (seemingly) most intelligent species on Earth. In other words, the only difference between us and other animals is that we think about things above and beyond what our survival, reproductive, and pleasure instincts direct us toward.

As for whether or not there is a grand designer of the universe, I think that there is. You don't come upon a watch in the woods and think that it grew on a tree, or that nature uncovered it by erosion. It has definite peices and parts that were obviously fabricated by a creator of some sort, and then put together to serve a purpose. In the same way we can see the nearly infinite amount of organization, laws, and parts of which life and the universe are composed. Why then would we think that it all simply came from nothing (which is impossible in and of itself because nothing is not even the possibility of something and there is most obviously something)? There are many other evidences of a creator that lead one to believe that there is such a thing, but I can find no very compelling arguments that there is not a God. Most of the arguments against the existence of God consist of feeble attempts at poking holes in all of the mountain of evidence for said existence.

As for the creator being interested? That is a bit tougher of a question... If you look at it from a creator's perspective I think it becomes a bit more clear though. Suppose you were a computer geek and you were building a computer... (lol) You get all the parts necessary to build the computer, you put it together, you load your OS, but then it won't work right. It will run programs, but each program you run seems to mess up the other programs. The program menu comes up, but 70% of the time the wrong program comes up for the icon you clicked on. The computer has many such problems... So what will you do with it??

Here we have God, who built us to live and to grow and to thrive. And yet, (as you said AG) we go about doing the exact opposite on a daily basis. So... Back to the computer analogy, we may get angry and frustrated with the computer not being able to make it work, but in the end, since we have invested our time and resources in it, then we will simply isolate the non-working parts and keep the parts that do work to put into another computer with other parts that work.

I don't think it's that God is disinterested in us, I think it is simply that he is very angry, frustrated, and disappointed. The only difference is that the nature of a computer is to work or not work, it gets no choice about it. We, on the other hand, cannot be isolated as easily as "malfunctioning, non-repairable" parts. This is because it will be until death before it can be made certain whether or not you will choose to fulfill your purpose to live, grow, and thrive, or if you will simply ignore the wisdom of the ages and work against everything that you are suposed to be.

Of course, I don't know any of this for certain just as I don't know that the ground will one day fall out from under me because it is really composed of 99% space, but I am reasonably certain of both because there is good evidence.

as for religion...

I'm a pragmatist and a realist. I also read and study a lot, and not just 'internet' stuff. I've read more books probably than any 100 persons on average. This doesn't make me smarter than anyone, or better than anyone, but it does allow me to have a good opinion on certain subjects that I have read about, and religion is one subject I've read about.

Why?

Like you and everyone else, being human and at the top of the food chain, and being the only real species that can think and interact with each other in the complex ways that humans do with communication and emotions as well as our ability to research new things and adapt (well, lots of animals do it...but none do it like we do!).

Being that top species...and seeing all the crazy and wonderful and terrifying things humans have done to each other, themselves, the planet, etc over the course of history...one always wants to believe that there MUST be something above us.

No one wants to think that once they die, that is all there is, kaput lights out blammo no more. I've spent the better part of my life wondering this just like a lot of others have.

However, being a realist, and knowing how imaginitive humans can be, and more than that, knowing how humans love nothing more than to have power and control over other humans, I've pretty much come to realize that there probably is nothing above us, and if there is, whatever it is, is very disinterested in us (wouldn't you be if you created a bunch of animals and gave them features that no other animal was given and all they did was kill themselves over thousands of years, and once in a while a great animal would come along and do something fantastic that would really evolve the direction the species was going in, and then for hundreds of years it was back to killing each other vying for power and control?)

Then again, I don't really know, and like everyone else, won't know until death comes to take me.

Organized religion has always been a method of control. Unfortunately for us, there are religious fanatics all around that want to seize that control in the name of "their" God or gods. Here is the crux of the situation. In reality, if there is a God, there is only 1 God (or set of gods) and it is the same for everyone. There is no my God, your God. That is a bunch of crap. Objectively, reality is only one way, we only perceive it differently. Something cannot both be and not be at the same time, thus where perception differs about the same point in reality, then one or both must be wrong. In other words, there are a vast majority of us (including me) that are just wrong about things most of the time because even though reality is only one way, there is no guarantee, nor any great probability, that we will perceive it accurately.

There are only 2 methods of controlling others that may be employed by we as humans. One is by gaining trust through love and right/wise decisions, and the other is by making others fear through propaganda and brute force. Organized religion and government (though I won't speak of polotics) have always been about the second. Some are more covert about it than others certainly, but it all amounts to the same thing. Why? Because it is not really the supernatural deity they worship that runs things in the organization. It is the flawed and tempted by every instinctual desire humans that do. This means that no matter how pure or sincere the original intent was, it ends up becoming about the survival, reproduction, and pleasure of those that have the say so about what should be and shouldn't be done according to God, or God's book, or whatever reference they unwittingly ascribe to in order to fulfill their cravings.

But

Studying humanity since the dawn of time when we wrote things down on stone tablets and drew pictures on cave walls, I realize a few things.

Back then, humans were just coming out of the wild, learning that living in groups was better and safer than hunting alone in the wilds. Humans were scared of the unknown (I mean, solar eclipses caused mass panic! Earthquakes were the "Gods" being angry, etc).

Some inventive and smart human decided that all these beliefs could be used to control the rest, and so organized religion began.

And that is really what I believe 'religion' to be. Organized religion is just another form of control. Religion states this is what you can and cant do, what you can and can't eat, what you can and can't believe, etc.

They use fear against the people they control, by telling them that a God or Supernatural Being that no one has ever truly seen or witnessed (and those that claim they have, have never had it confirmed by another individual that didn't live in a white trash trailer park like alien abductees seem to heh) will be angry that they did or didn't do this or that.

Ultimately, what everything boils down to is that we only have one power. That power is the power of self control. People are too lazy and undisciplined to exercise their minds enough to exert the kind of control that they wish to have, and so the easy thing to do is to let someone else control them. This is a very prevalent attitude in the religious mainstream... It is an attitude that allows an unprecedented number of religions and variant cults to thrive as they do.

I know that in the last few decades there has been a major shift to "thinking for yourself", but even so, there are few people willing to put in the time and effort it takes to actually formulate your own opinion about things, and so allow those that were the original "thinking for yourself"ers, to do the thinking for them. These people piss me off just as much as any religious fanatic. ROFL!

[What Jesus taught] isn't really religion to me

This is common sense

This is a very good quote!! I don't think Jesus ever wanted to start a religion, just for people to treat each other better. As I said before though, even the purest and most sincere original intent will be twisted by humans somewhere along the line...

As for the whole Jesus thing... There are a few options. 1) He was a crazy guy that claimed to be the Son of God, but then none of his actions showed him to be mentally incompetent in any manner whatsoever. 2) He was a liar, but everything he said made perfect "common sense" except, apparently, that he was the Son of God. or 3) That he was really the telling the truth not only about everything else, but also that he was indeed the Son of God. I mean, if he was really an egomaniac he wouldn't have walked around working miracles and saying that we should live like we love life and want it to grow and thrive, and then attributing it all to some deity. My point is that if he told the truth about how we should live life, and he lived his life in every way as he told us to, then why is it such a stretch to think that he was telling the truth about being the Son of God?

Ok, so its probably obvious that I have chosen #3, but you are certainly free to choose any you wish. Obviously AG feels differently, but then I respect that from one well read person to another. :D Its just what makes the most sense to me.

I also believe that some had the opposite idea, and this guy Jesus was one of those rarities, that believed that people didn't have to belong to organized religion and didn't have to have any of those faults that come with such organizations. He believed that we should love each other, take care of each other, turn the other cheek when someone strikes you, etc.

This isn't really religion to me

This is common sense

If it takes a God to instruct people to do GOOD things for and to each other....then we are a total wreck of a species (especially if it takes the FEAR of a God to make you do good things, or FEAR of what might happen to you if you DONT do good things).

And like religion is good at, they killed this guy Jesus for 'blasphemy' when Jesus wasn't really a heretic...all he was doing is saying "hey, you don't need these jerks putting the fear of God into you to make you good people...we all have the ability to be good, we just choose not to be good for some unknown (and still unknown) reason but it DOESN"T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY!"

Which of course was bad for organized religions because if people could be good on their own and had no fear of God, they wouldn't need those in control to tell them what to do anymore. And if no one listened to those in control and were not afraid, then they would cease to have power over others.

Of course, Jesus was a bit of egomaniac claiming to be the "son of God". Honestly...thats a bit of a stretch really. If he had never claimed such a thing, I bet he would have lasted a lot longer and maybe human society would be a much much better place than it is because honestly, his gig was EXTREMELY popular, and he was getting more and more famous for his teachings.

But then you know his fate, and you know how the world has ebbed and flowed in both dark and light.

Religion has been the cause of the overwhelming majority of the world's conflicts up until the modern age (and even today religion is still the cause of most conflicts). Everyone seems to forget in the middle ages how religious crusades decimated entire populations. It has always been a double-edged sword...one edge is "do good like Jesus" and the other edge is "our religion is the right religion and if you don't believe it you will burn in hell after we kill you for not believing".

And personally, I find religious people to be utterly offensive. When people find out I don't believe in THEIR God, it makes them angry and they try to convince me that THEIR God is the only one and the right one and I'm a heathen, which goes against the teachings of Jesus which was "be tolerant of other's beliefs", so that is a contradiction of the worst offense.

LOL, I guess you could say that we are intolerant of intolerance there AG!! :nod:

Science is simply the observation of naturally occuring phenomena under controlled conditions. Nothing in science is ever actually proven, its just not contradicted. If it is ever contradicted, then its bye bye to that theory and hello to a new one. Religion and science are really just different sides of the same coin. One starts from the ground up, and the other from God down. I think that they really have already started to meet in the middle and people will see that reality is reality whether it is observable or not.

Yes, I do also believe that there is other life out there. As AG said, the universe is really, really, gigantically huge. But to be fair, there is always the possibility that the conditions for life are so precise and so fragile that universe-wide, this is the only planet that ever had any chance of supporting life. But then, I also think that with as large as the universe is, this is only a very small probability.

I could go the rest of my life thinking that everyone else could be right, but I just decided to make up my own mind about things in the process of thinking that... Funny how that happens. :confused:

Then I ask them "well...what if Native Americans had it right and there's many gods? What if ancient Egyptians or Mayans or Aztecs or Buddhists or any one of the hundreds of religions are actually the one TRUE religion and their God or Gods are the one TRUE Gods?"

*sigh*

You can only imagine the intolerant replies I get from people about such things.

Then there's the whole science vs religion debate.

Science is stuff that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, or at least proven with evidence to more than likely be the right way things happened. We see evolution as a reality because we watch animals, insects, plants, even humans evolve, yet apparently that is nonsense to religious people.

The funny thing is, why can't science and religion co-exist? I mean, we THEORIZE that the big bang is what started the universe...but what if a God or some Gods really created everything?

There's an almost infinite number of galaxies floating through the universe, each with hundreds of billions of trillions of quadrillions (you get the point) of stars, and even if only .01% of .01% of .01% of .01% of .01% had a planet that might be life sustaining (and who says it has to be like ours where living beings breathe oxygen/nitrogen mix? why can't there be life that breathes methane or is silicon based or maybe something so different that human imagination can't even possibly begin to imagine?!), how can we possibly say that a God only made us and nothing else, and we are made in the image of God?

What if there was a God who created all this stuff, but maybe HIS people are in a galaxy that is 100 trillion light years away, so far away that we cannot even begin to understand how far away it is? What if we are just a by-product...an 'accident', or maybe just the right mix of air and water and sunlight and blam life started here as it has on a billion other worlds that we will never know about because of the distance between such anomalous worlds?

What if there was a God that created us as well as a billion other life-giving planets just because he was curious to see what would evolve?

What if there simply is no God and we are just an anomaly, a sort of cosmic accident?

Religious people are simply too narrow minded to even begin to comprehend all the implications of just how big the universe really is, and they egomaniacally think that humans and the planet Earth are the ONLY life in the universe and somehow we are at the top of God's favorite list, or that he even made us in HIS image...which is actually what I would consider an insult if I were a God because a God is omnipotent, and probably does not have 2 arms and 2 legs and 2 eyes etc....that's just...dumb honestly.

Woah... You took the words right out of my mouth. I believe in God and that Jesus was the Son of God, but I don't go to church. I simply try to live as I know I should. I'm not always good at it and at times I fail miserably, but hey, that's what we do!! LOL!

But I digress I suppose.

To me, religion, in my experience over the course of history as well as my own actual experience (bet you didn't know I used to be a churchgoer eh?), is just another form of control, and it is simply too narrow minded for me.

I refuse to be told that something is the way it is because God says it is, but there is no proof. I refuse to believe something just because someone says to believe it. I have to have proof, or at least a very good argument that something is something (like we believe black holes are what they are because math is used to pinpoint effects of black holes and we KNOW they exist, we just theorize on exactly what it is they do or how they act, but we have pretty good data from years of studying them).

I refuse to live a certain way just because someone says to live a certain way or I will burn in their version of hell, which i don't even believe in anymore.

I'm a human being. I am a product of my environment. I have learned enough at a young age to know that punching Billy in the face is not a nice thing to do, and telling Lucy that she is fat will hurt her feelings, and in turn, make me feel bad.

I know that murder is bad, I know that crime is bad, I know all about what is bad and what is good, and while school and society has taught me most of it, I have grown up and been able to make my own decisions based on what I feel is right and wrong.

Every time I yell at one of you guys, or ban you, or have to discipline you, I feel bad, because I don't like it. However, it is necessary or else I wouldn't do it, as it is for the greater good of the forum.

Every time I have to be brutally honest with someone I have a little pang of guilt in me...but every time I lie to someone to save their feelings, I feel worse than I ever have, because I know lying is the worst, and lying to someone just to save their feelings is where our society is right now.

Every time I see starving african kids on tv, I feel like .. Everytime I see a car accident or some athlete break his ankle or some kid abused or even a kid lose his balloon at the fair, I feel like ..

I feel like I am a normal human being, and I feel like every other human on earth has the same feelings as me, but most are too greedy or selfish to allow themselves to feel empathy for others, and most are raised in a 'gimme gimme gimme' world and they wish for material possessions and/or power over others.

And yes, I am just as guilty of it as others in certain times, so no, I am not superior to anyone in any way. I just wish others would realize their own faults sometimes and do something about them instead of not caring, or maybe caring and still doing it anyway.

but

in the end, I am intelligent enough to realize the most important factor of all

everyone is different.

everyone was raised differently, and everyone has their own belief system.

no one is going to be like me

not everyone is going to like me

I am not going to like everyone

I understand the base principals of humans in that there are so many of us with so many differing opinions that it is amazing that we've made it this far in our history and have not blown each other up or killed each other and we have a fairly stable society (well, most of us from western cultures anyway).

I don't allow religion to enter my life because I don't believe in it in the way that it is preached across the planet, and it's intolerance of others and their beliefs.

I don't try to preach my personal beliefs to others because others are not me, and they resent my beliefs and my preaching as much as i resent when they do it to me (do ya hear that Republicans? lol).

I'm glad you're in charge here AG. I have MUCHO respect. :P

I don't allow that nonsense in this forum because of what i just said...there's simply too many of us with too many different opinions, and when you get that kind of group together, they have zero tolerance for someone's opinions and beliefs if they are different.

And I can guarantee you that someone with religious beliefs will read this and go on a terrible rant because of my 'false information' or my 'heathen beliefs' or who knows what, but they will (and I will simply cut them out of this thread as this is not open to debate, as it will lead to the nasty things I just said it would lead to...this is simply me answering a question that was asked).

also because some people just love to argue (as we've found out over the time this forum has been around lol).

anyway...sorry that my reply is so long and stupid and boring and heathenistic...but you asked ;)

I'm a liberal, conservative independent living in a blue state. Boy, if that doesn't take alot of getting used to.

How long have you lived in Boise? It is a good city. The shopping is far better than in Wallly World, WA.

I'm a liberal, conservative independent living in a blue state. Boy, if that doesn't take alot of getting used to.

How long have you lived in Boise? It is a good city. The shopping is far better than in Wallly World, WA.

We have lived in Boise for 2 years. I have lived in Idaho my whole life and AG grew up in Idaho, left for Florida and then came back.

Idaho sux

well...its beautiful

northern Idaho is more liberal

southern Idaho is very conservative Mormon

middle Idaho (where we live) is a mix...but mostly conservative religious

I don't mind religion nor conservatism...thats just how it is for some people and I appreciate everyone being different...It aint like they come beating down my door telling me to stop looking at pr9n etc

but their views on gays/gay marriage, the ten commandments being forced down our throats in public, etc...they aren't my views (and some of them are CRAZY...like calling for the death of all gays who want to get married etc...crazy people live in this state...)

Since it's AG's thread, he will be the one to decide if the rant stays or goes.

heh

I am the RANT MASTER

if someone else has a good rant that is worthy of topic in this thread...then I'll let it stay

if someone rants some crap I don't like...since it is my thread...I can squash it

but I don't think I have yet