My memory does not work in DUAL anymore !

So...

I bought a 3700+ SanDiego and it solve the problem.... I don't know whats wrong with the Venice, but now the board running @ 640 Cl3-4-4-7 *9,5!

I have the 3200+ Venice, and don't have a problem. Right now, I'm over clocked it to 2.3Ghz. So far so good.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello . I have the some problems. Today i recived the my second DFI SLI-DR EXPERT and the problems continue.

My problem is that i can´t boot with the 2 sticks in dual channel (only boot with one stick) and can´t put over default vcore because system always reboot.

My spects :

SLI-DR EXPERT 12/07 bios

sandy 3700+

ocz powerstream 520w

x1900xtx

2x160gb maxtor diamond 10 raid0

audigy 2 zs

2x1gb gskill zx

Please help me!!

Try another CPU...

Guys... you gonna love that one...

I had to give back the X2 3800+ which was perfectly working to my friend.

The shop gave me a brand new one instead of my defective one and guess what... I plug it in the DFI, no boot.

I plug it in the Asus, no boot.

Single channel, dual channel, Seasonic PSU, Tagan PSU, it won't boot.

Oh and yes, my memory is still working just fine in my Intel rig (the one I'm posting from right now).

What are the odds that out of 3 X2 3800+, the 2 defective ones are for me... but even more than that, what are the odds of getting 2 defective X2 3800+ in a row !

Now... what am I gonna tell the shop who kindly gave me a brand new one before AMD gave them the replacement for the defective one...

I guess I will have to bring everything to them so that they can test and finally give me something that works...

This is all really crazy... I bought everything on the 17th of December 2005.

We are the 27th of January 2006, and I still can't get anything related to AMD to work.

Next time, I'll think twice before going from Intel to AMD !

I had a similar problem with my memory, I read this thread and thought I was screwed... that if you "experts" couldn't get it to work, what was a first timer going to do....

Well I followed the Admin's sugestion... ask for help directly. I sent out an email yesterday and got a response over night. Did exactly what I was told to do and now I have 2G of dual channel memory working finally.

Thanks Robert DFI for your help.....

As an FYI, here is a copy of what I was told to do.

DFI downloads > bios latest > your model board and flash. Then "exactly" as outlined below.

1. Put a single stick in the Orange slot furtherest from the cpu. With ALL power off to power supply.

2. Clear CMOS exactly as outlined below.

Here is the 'official' DFI way of clearing the CMOS:

1. pull power *A/C Power from wall outlet*.

2. pull battery

3. clear cmos jumper to pins 2 and 3 for minimum of 30-60 seconds *For Real troublesome systems use 8 hours*.

4. replace cmos jumper to normal position pins 1 and 2.

5. replace battery

6. replace power *A/C Power from wall outlet*.

7. boot to bios and load optimized defaults

8. save and exit

9. boot back to bios and now you can change settings to your liking. *Is what we are trying to get to*.

The above is especially true after some unknown boot failure and after a bios flash or major component change which is the same as you have when first assembling a computer.

3. At step #9 above go into bios and set memory voltage to 2.8V. Cpu VID voltage to 1.4V and Cpu VID SPECIAL voltage to 1.04% add. Then go into GenieBios>DramConfiguration and set CommandPerClock CPC = DISABLE. Save and exit bios and retest. Then again shutdown and remove all A/c power from power suppy and add the second stick to the other Orange slot and then repower and boot and test. Thank you.

OMG HURRAY. my underclocked not booting in dual channel ocz rev2 pat now works fine after a bios update and removing the battery 1 minute. I suggest anyone who has any ram problems to remove your bios battery and put it back in. Now it works in slots 2 and 4 no problems!

I had a similar problem with my memory, I read this thread and thought I was screwed... that if you "experts" couldn't get it to work, what was a first timer going to do....

Well I followed the Admin's sugestion... ask for help directly. I sent out an email yesterday and got a response over night. Did exactly what I was told to do and now I have 2G of dual channel memory working finally.

Thanks Robert DFI for your help.....

As an FYI, here is a copy of what I was told to do.

DFI downloads > bios latest > your model board and flash. Then "exactly" as outlined below.

1. Put a single stick in the Orange slot furtherest from the cpu. With ALL power off to power supply.

2. Clear CMOS exactly as outlined below.

Here is the 'official' DFI way of clearing the CMOS:

1. pull power *A/C Power from wall outlet*.

2. pull battery

3. clear cmos jumper to pins 2 and 3 for minimum of 30-60 seconds *For Real troublesome systems use 8 hours*.

4. replace cmos jumper to normal position pins 1 and 2.

5. replace battery

6. replace power *A/C Power from wall outlet*.

7. boot to bios and load optimized defaults

8. save and exit

9. boot back to bios and now you can change settings to your liking. *Is what we are trying to get to*.

The above is especially true after some unknown boot failure and after a bios flash or major component change which is the same as you have when first assembling a computer.

3. At step #9 above go into bios and set memory voltage to 2.8V. Cpu VID voltage to 1.4V and Cpu VID SPECIAL voltage to 1.04% add. Then go into GenieBios>DramConfiguration and set CommandPerClock CPC = DISABLE. Save and exit bios and retest. Then again shutdown and remove all A/c power from power suppy and add the second stick to the other Orange slot and then repower and boot and test. Thank you.

so you have to run your 2gb kit at 2T? :rolleyes::(

that suxx, it should be able to run at 1T

i was having the same problem, had a new pair of Gskill memory and an old pair from last yr about march when i purchased it, i used T-mods cd by using old of memory in the Expert mobo, and flashed it to the latest beta bios by OCZ, the new pair wouldnt work in old bios's, but i hav still 1 more problem, when i try to go into bios....i get a blank screen, does any1 know why that is...i need to disable on sound, so i can use ma audigy 2, also i think there is a prob with ma g.card x1800xt, when the logo appears of the nf4 expert the colours are inverted...

• 2 weeks later...

Just another thought. Still reading through these posts. The guy who started this off, Bango is it? managed to single out either CPU or PSU. He then found that after trying another PSU, it still didn't work.

I'm wondering, given that in some cases it takes a few hours before dual fails, whether the board has screwed are cpus. The cpu's handle the dual memory control don't they?

Has anyone tried their cpu and memory in another motherboard after this failure?

Just a thought, and hopefully not a stupid one.

RLM

I should add, hopefully not.

Still reading

This is what Angry_Games wrote in reply to Bango back on page 7 I think it was.

----------------------------------

which really doesn't have anything to do with the motherboard since the motherboard doesn't have a memory controller...memory and cpu interface directly on the Athlon64 platforms.

I've seen cpu's with broken memory controllers...I would go to your store and ask them to test your cpu if they would be kind enough to do so...better to eliminate as many possibilities as you can before RMA'ing anything right?

AG

--------------------------------

Bango0

-----------------------------------

I bought an Asus A8N32 SLI Dlx, to see if it fixes the problem.

And well... it does not fix anything, I have EXACTLY the same issues as with the DFI.

So... I can rule out the DFI I guess...

The problem is, I ruled out everything now !

The fact is though, my memory and cpu dual config, were working fine on my Asus premium, until I swapped to the DFI motherboard. So if the memory controller does turn out to be faulty on my cpu now, then by a process of elimination the DFI m/b is the culprit.

----------------------------------

Sorry for speculation. 1+2=4 and all that. It's looking ominous though.

I'm obviously hoping this isn't the case. Still reading...

RLM

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same exact issue as the original poster.

Everything worked great for a few months. Then the system started blue screening like crazy when overclocked. Then I started to run at stock settings, and the system kept blue screening.

So i started troubleshooting. And what i found out was: if i put anything BY ITSELF (1 or 2 sticks, but only in one channel) in the channel closest to the CPU socket into either of the 2 DIMMs, the board starts beeping and won't detect the RAM. I tried different brands of RAM, including some old but reliable crucial pc2100. Nothing worked. If i have the same exact ram put into the other channel, everything works and is stable. If i put ram in both channels, the board boots up, and sees the ram in both channels, but is extremely unstable!

So, i thought it was a messed up memory controller on my Opty, where one of the two channels is dead/unstable. So tonight i switche dout the CPU with my old but trusty a64 SD 3700+, and to my surprise, i had the same issue. Nothing in the channel closest to the CPU socket was being detected. Once again, i tried three different brands of RAM.

It's obviously a motherboard issue, i am going to try to RMA it. I mean, 2 CPUs, 3 brands of RAM, and the only constant component between all these setups is the motherboard. It's either the NF4 chipset itself that's faulty, or the memory traces or something, but the fact remains, channel closest to the CPU is dead.

By the way, i tried only the official BIOSes (original shipping one, and the 12/07), same problem remained.