My memory does not work in DUAL anymore !

I had a Abit AV8 board before, and I want to use PCie so I have to buy a new board. I did bought DFI Exp. and a new Evga 7800GT. The mother board boot fine, but I never got able to install Window XP. It either freeze or the system reboots itself. I try to use the Memtest to test the memories and it gave me 126 errors. and at some point it freeze or a blank screen came up. I try to put the same memories in other system and use the newer version of Memtest and it doesn't give any error and it works fine on that system. I read on the DFI forums and a lot people have the same problem with the Dual channel memory. I haven't tried to use single channel yet. This is my first DFI board and I'm very disappointed. It is just weird that the CPU and memories work in other system but not on this Exp. Maybe we all got the batch that has some defected.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kakashi

Try building the machine with one stick of ram on the outermost memory slot. Have the absolute minimal hardware installed, ie memory, VGA card (video card), 1x hard drive and CD/DVD Drive. Also ensure that your BIOS is the most recent revision. If the bios is not updated do so and then reset the BIOS to default settings.

good luck.

Kakashi

Try building the machine with one stick of ram on the outermost memory slot. Have the absolute minimal hardware installed, ie memory, VGA card (video card), 1x hard drive and CD/DVD Drive. Also ensure that your BIOS is the most recent revision. If the bios is not updated do so and then reset the BIOS to default settings.

good luck.

I did try with the latest Bios and it was even worse. I will try again later with one RAM on first DIM (yellow) to see if I can get any further with xp installation.

I have similar situation.. can anyone please help??

I purchased 1GB (2x512) of platnium 3200 rev.2 and installed them into my DFI lanparty ultra D. I installed them in slots 2 and 4 and they ran fine in dual channel with my venice 3200+. Then I purchased a San Deigo 3700+ and when I went to boot windows it rebooted just as the bar finished loading. So I forrmatted/reinstall windows xp pro. But on boot with the ram in slots 2 and 4 it is a black screen. There is no POST just a black screen. So I put the ram in slots 1 and 2 and it runs but now it is running at 333mhz and not in dual channel. Also the timings displayed are not 2-2-2-5. There is something about 2T at 64-bit displayed on the POST. I am running at 2.6 dram volts and my bois is the newest 623-3.

How do I get my ram to run at 400mhz in dual channel with the proper timings?

I read in the manual on page 29, and it said: "A DIMM's SPD is originally fixed at 1T. When modules are inserted in DIMM 1 and DIMM 3, the SPD must be 2T for better system stability. We recommend inserting DIMMs in DIMM2 and DIMM 4."

Before I do any thing I clear the CMOS, and than put my RAM in DIMM 2 and 4. I boot the computer and went into the BIOS and change the Command rate to 2T, and 2.5-2-2-6. and the rest I just put in Auto. I be damn, I was able to install window xp for the first time. I took me 2 days figure out what was the problems. So far so good.

My question why did this work in DIMM 2 and 4 and not in 1 and 3? Does the Manual and the lable on the board wrong? DIMM 2 and 4 suppose to be DIMM 1 and 3??? I they just screw up with the BIOS???

I'm starting to understand what Bulldog was trying to say... I started this topic to explain *my* problems in order to try to find a solution.

Now, most of the posts in this topic are not related to my problems, therefore this topic is a complete mess explaining many different issues found with RAM memory...

So... this topic should only be used for the people having the exact same problems as mine (3 leds lit as soon as you use dual channel), otherwise it's completely useless !

Your right Bango.. but i am also having the exact same problem with my DFI NF4 ultra D.. There is 3 red debug lights and the dual channel won't work in slots 2 and 4 even with the newest bios and ocz plat rev2 which is suppose to be tested in dual channel and work... GAH anyone have the solution yet?

Ok this is crazy... I really need to find a solution before I trash everything :D

I bought an Asus A8N32 SLI Dlx, to see if it fixes the problem.

And well... it does not fix anything, I have EXACTLY the same issues as with the DFI.

So... I can rule out the DFI I guess...

The problem is, I ruled out everything now !

Let's explain the situation one last time...

My PC worked flawlessly for 10 days, rock stable at 2600Mhz (tested with the appropriate tools).

Then, it froze while I was burning a DVD.

Since then, my system won't boot in dual channel (3 leds lit), but works in single channel (though not perfectly stable with everything at stock speed).

What I tried:

- 2 other PSUs (Tagan + Antec)

- 2Go of G.Skill instead of my A-Data

- Another X2 3800+

- Another mainboard, the Asus A8N32 SLI Dlx

Last but not least, the shop where I bought everything tested the board when I gave it back and said it worked in dual channel.

I don't know what to do now... as someone told me, the memory controller is inside the CPU.

Everything seems to indicate that it's the CPU, but I tried another X2 3800+ without success...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, before I choose to sell everything and go back to the Intel world :(

Hi there BangoO

I have discovered that there was an issue with the mounting of my Northbridge Heatsink, and having applied some silver compound, I have gained a little more stability (not much more but some) So that points at thermal lockup on my machine (Intel P4 530)

Getting a little encouraged I tried the machine in Dual Channel and it killed it totally :) Had to start from scratch again.

In your case, have you tried, no DVD Rom? Different HD?

What memory did the shop use to test? Can you 'borrow' (maybe give them yours in temporary exchange) their memory and test with your setup complete? Oh and also check if the memory is single sided or double sided. I have been told that Dual Channel can favor single sided DIMMs

Also check the actual chips on the memory DIMMs and make sure they match.

Heh, tried running Prime95 test and my machine immediately locked up :) lol pants

I am tempted to try purchasing some OCZ memory or something similar

Hmm, just had a thought BangoO, looking at your sig you have matched up an nF4 SLI-DR Expert with DDR500 ram. DFIs web site states this:

"Supports PC2100 (DDR266), PC2700 (DDR333) and PC3200 (DDR400) DDR SDRAM DIMM"

and ASUS.COM states:

"Dual channel memory architecture

4 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR 400 / 333 / 266, ECC, non-ECC, un-buffered memory

* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for "Memory QVL (Qualify Vendor List)"

If I am right, you will hate me :) but your RAM may be wrong specs...

Steve

Hi there BangoO

I have discovered that there was an issue with the mounting of my Northbridge Heatsink, and having applied some silver compound, I have gained a little more stability (not much more but some) So that points at thermal lockup on my machine (Intel P4 530)

Getting a little encouraged I tried the machine in Dual Channel and it killed it totally :) Had to start from scratch again.

Hi Steve, sorry about that :(

In your case, have you tried, no DVD Rom? Different HD?

I tested with just the mainboard, the memory and the CPU, nothing else.

What memory did the shop use to test? Can you 'borrow' (maybe give them yours in temporary exchange) their memory and test with your setup complete? Oh and also check if the memory is single sided or double sided. I have been told that Dual Channel can favor single sided DIMMs

Also check the actual chips on the memory DIMMs and make sure they match.

Heh, tried running Prime95 test and my machine immediately locked up :) lol pants

I am tempted to try purchasing some OCZ memory or something similar

Hmm, just had a thought BangoO, looking at your sig you have matched up an nF4 SLI-DR Expert with DDR500 ram. DFIs web site states this:

"Supports PC2100 (DDR266), PC2700 (DDR333) and PC3200 (DDR400) DDR SDRAM DIMM"

and ASUS.COM states:

"Dual channel memory architecture

4 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR 400 / 333 / 266, ECC, non-ECC, un-buffered memory

* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for "Memory QVL (Qualify Vendor List)"

If I am right, you will hate me :) but your RAM may be wrong specs...

The shop used Corsair memory, I don't know more... and I doubt they will give them to me to test at home...

But may I remind you that my system worked flawlessly for 10 days.

If this was a memory incompatibilty, it would have shown up from day 1, I guess...

I tried 2* A-Data + 2 * G.Skill (both are Dual Channel kits) on 2 different MBs and got the same results... LOTS of people use A-Data or G.Skill on those MBs without any issue.

Moreover, my A-Data still works flawlessly in my Intel rig.

Thx for trying to help ;)

PS: the Asus A8N32 supports DDR500, it is regognised as DDR500 in the BIOS and is automatically used at DDR500, not DDR400.

Every single AMD MB I know supports DDR500 and more...