unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

1st. overclocks are not guaranteed.

2nd. you would have to look long and hard and pay good $$ for 0550VPMW

3rd. what are your temps looking like?

4th. have you tried a mem divider?

No, but the 0550VPMW seems awfully close to a guaranteed 2.8Ghz at moderately low volts. I just missed the cutoff for VPMWs at FlickerDown.

Temps are looking very reasonable:

Idle / Load

--------------

CPU: 33C / 44-47C (Depending on Mhz)

NF4: 34C / 36C

PWM: 35C / 41C

Tried 9/10 mem divider earlier. Was not an issue. My GSkill HZ is good to 277Mhz so I won't need it until > 277Mhz. Played with various memory settings no effect.

Currently using the primary machine configuration with this CPU, so its already water cooled.

cjoe

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cisco kid

Okay I just got back on the DFI kick with a Ultra D board, not sure of revision but it was owned by a die hard overclocker who goes through alot of hardware and he had good success reacing 300HTT with it.

I have a 165 stepping is CCBWE 0551VPMW. I have a dual 2x1GB kit of GSkill Xtreme pc3200, I am just beginning to test, right now I am at 270fsb with 3x and 2.5,3,3,7 and 1.425 in bios vdimm at 2.7 and 1T timing. I am wondering what is the recommended bios at this time. Have not had time to read a 1000 pages on opteron overclocking yet so looking for some quick answers and tips to get me on right track, not even sure what the bios on board is at this time. For a heatsink I have a Arctic Freezer 64 Pro on for now and the stock heatpipe cooler if needed which I see by reviews is quite good. I am just looking to hit 2.6 with this chip.

Question does the 183 divider offer/give chance to reach a higher overclock vs the 166 provided your ram can run the fsb? Call me a newb if need be but I am not just been out of the clocking scene for a bit and am strapped for time. Past 148 was running 2.9 but I made a move back to a dual for a bit

Ahem

On a TPMW Opty 170 :/

just burning in now, 1hr at 2.7ghz 1.35 * 107% (1.47 CPUID)

Have to love air,

temps

CPU 56

PWMIC 57

CHIPSET 49

Where is my watercooling :( Just the difference between a waterblock and a massive heatsink with a 120mm fan is massive. You have so much more space with which to add more fans to cool the pwmic's :/

@cjoe7: I have the same stepping as yours, but in a 165. In my case, it is core0 which is weaker. And I get pretty simmilar results as yours, but ~50mhz less, which makes sense as it is a lower binned 165.

Seeing yours has the core1 weaker, points me to rip off the IHS, but still not sure how will I mount my Big Typhoon (having the case horizontal is not a problem, it's its natural position already :D)

@cjoe7: I have the same stepping as yours, but in a 165. In my case, it is core0 which is weaker. And I get pretty simmilar results as yours, but ~50mhz less, which makes sense as it is a lower binned 165.

Seeing yours has the core1 weaker, points me to rip off the IHS, but still not sure how will I mount my Big Typhoon (having the case horizontal is not a problem, it's its natural position already :D)

I've been burning in my 170 for about 10hrs. Core1 seems much stronger now.

Current SP2004 results:

2.75Ghz @ 1.54V: 3hrs+ stable (Stopped)

2.80Ghz @ 1.56V: 30min+ stable (Stopped)

I haven't exceeded 1.56V yet. I'm tempted to slowly increase the voltage up to 1.6V and see what the CPU can reach.

Mursaat: What is your current max OC and Volts to reach that speed? How long have you had your CPU and have you been burning it in? Is your cpu OEM or retail? Batch#? Do you think you've reached your OC max yet?

Yeah, I'm also considering going topless but I'm not quite there yet. I want to see what the max of the CPU is first before going that route. If your cpu is OEM, go for it; otherwise, ebay it and get another.

I've only seen one other cpu from this stepping / batch#. Clint said his first 170 CPU barely reached 2.5Ghz earlier. Do you know of any other results?

I'm still considering buying another one if I don't reach 2.8Ghz at a reasonable voltage level.

cjoe

^ You still did better than me, mursaat. I have the same stepping 165 as you, and I am at 9*287 at 1.513v. Core 0 is my weak core as well. I was hoping for 2700 at 1.45v like some of them out there. Oh well. :(

My CPU is looking better. I'm slowly lowering voltage while maintaining HTT.

2.75Ghz @ 1.52V: 2hr+ Stable (Sp2004)

If I can maintain 2.75Ghz < 1.5V or reach 2.8Ghz @ 1.54V, I will be satisfied. I was initially hoping for ~2.7Ghz before I saw the magical VPMW then my expectations went out the door.

cjoe

Well my Opteron 175 killed my Enermax 600w... lol, thankfully it was not the other way around :rolleyes:

I think that overclock and voltages are really good. Also anything longer than 4 hours in those Prime95 tests are overkill... yet its always good to know what the system's limits are.

Good luck

yes

and

yes get that cpu if it costs you your right testicle

Well thats exactly what i have ccbwe 0550 upmw

and its crapping out every time it hits 40c :mad:

On the good side tho its stable at 275*9@ 1.2*104%vcore (only vcore i can manage without hitting 40c :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: )

any more vcore lowers my max stable oc cuz of that weird 40c problem

and any more htt requires more vcore.

I WANT WATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR