unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

10C ambient...you must be freezing your A$$ off.... :nod:

you know youre an overclockaholic when you freeze your a$$ off for that extra 100mhz :D

and heres a small update on my previous problems.

I did try reseating the xp-120 with no diff.

Maybe my lapping was sloppy and its uneven? guess ill try the stock cooler tomorrow and see if that helps anything.

If not im really itching more and more to pop the lid and repaste it

After some testing ive reached 267*9 stable...

guess at what voltage??

1.175*104% (reported as 1.17v by speedfan)

Anything above that core 1 errors out

anything below that core 0 errors out

So correct me if im wrong but i almost asuredly have a core 1 heat problem!

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know youre an overclockaholic when you freeze your a$$ off for that extra 100mhz :D

and heres a small update on my previous problems.

I did try reseating the xp-120 with no diff.

Maybe my lapping was sloppy and its uneven? guess ill try the stock cooler tomorrow and see if that helps anything.

If not im really itching more and more to pop the lid and repaste it

After some testing ive reached 267*9 stable...

guess at what voltage??

1.175*104% (reported as 1.17v by speedfan)

Anything above that core 1 errors out

anything below that core 0 errors out

So correct me if im wrong but i almost asuredly have a core 1 heat problem!

sounds like it to me...

im not sure i WANT to pop the lid since an xp-120 is reall a pain to mount even with a ihs...im about 99.99% sure id destroy my core with no ihs on with the xp120's weird mounting.

I did pop the lid and mounted the XP-120, it can be done very safe actually.

The trick is to mount the "hangers" on the removed black plastic bracket before you drop it on the core.

Then you use a small screwdriver to mount the plastic bracket and the cooler comes down with it, and because the hat is gone the pressure is much lower...

You need to grind down the plastic in a couple of places, but that can also be done in a precise manner if you are taking care of details.

Mine sits there perfect, I even get better cooling on the PWMIC and memory now coz it's closer down. :)

This is how it looks like:

000120if.th.jpg

Nice and tight fit ;) :

000135wn.th.jpg

000157du.th.jpg

This was the only mod done to the board:

000146ci.th.jpg

I did pop the lid and mounted the XP-120, it can be done very safe actually.

The trick is to mount the "hangers" on the removed black plastic bracket before you drop it on the core.

Then you use a small screwdriver to mount the plastic bracket and the cooler comes down with it, and because the hat is gone the pressure is much lower...

You need to grind down the plastic in a couple of places, but that can also be done in a precise manner if you are taking care of details.

Mine sits there perfect, I even get better cooling on the PWMIC and memory now coz it's closer down. :)

Ahhh, that looks sweet, and what a good idea. But i dont have the balls do it lol. Im too heavy handed and cant afford screw up lol

major cahones....I would feel safer with a bolt thru....hen U dont have to mod anything.

Hehe :angel:

...I'm quite sure the Big Typhoon will be more of a gamble than my setup, if you consider the leverage and the fact that it's not mounted in line with gravity makes it really bad....wouldnt mount it even with the IHS on.

Actually mine is a bolt through, the cooler is fixed on the bracket first..and then I screw the bracket on...exactly like a bolt trough.

And it is evenly supported on four places on the board via the bracket, cant beat that with a two bolt bolt-trough.

..I should have taken some pictures of the procedure...doh!

Hehe :angel:

...I'm quite sure the Big Typhoon will be more of a gamble than my setup, if you consider the leverage and the fact that it's not mounted in line with gravity makes it really bad....wouldnt mount it even with the IHS on.

Actually mine is a bolt through, the cooler is fixed on the bracket first..and then I screw the bracket on...exactly like a bolt trough.

And it is evenly supported on four places on the board via the bracket, cant beat that with a two bolt bolt-trough.

..I should have taken some pictures of the procedure...doh!

that would be a great idea...it would help alot of people...I know I would do it

I'm gonna browse around and see if I can find some pictures of the bracket, can't be that hard to do some photoshopping on it.

This deserves to be passed on to others, very secure and safe. :nod:

EDIT: maybe someone can take a couple of shots and link them for me?

That would definately be the best.

you got me interested now :D

btw just poped in the stock cooler with no better results...

temps got a few degrees hotter and core 1 fails at anywhere near stock voltage still...

Opening the window to lowe ambient stabilised it for a while longer...

still not as stable as xp-120 tho

so xp-120 problem is out of the equation

all thats left is the &*%$#@%$#^%$ ihs

you got me interested now :D

btw just poped in the stock cooler with no better results...

temps got a few degrees hotter and core 1 fails at anywhere near stock voltage still...

Opening the window to lowe ambient stabilised it for a while longer...

still not as stable as xp-120 tho

so xp-120 problem is out of the equation

all thats left is the &*%$#@%$#^%$ ihs

Just be careful...the capacitors are a bit closer to the edge than on a single core.

Just be careful...the capacitors are a bit closer to the edge than on a single core.

ive never poped a lid in my life..im shakin just thinking about it lol

on the bright side ive removed my mobo for easier xp-120 remounting and looked at how the bracket fits and everything.

Found my micro-ratchet set wich means i can mount the xp to its bracket before puting it on the cpu then slowly screw it in.

I was looking at a way of reverse mounting the screws and using a nut at the top but i have plenty of room now with the board out and my micro-rathet.

So whats the easiest way to pop the lid?

run a razor blade under the ihs a few times then pull it off with some fishing line?

bad bad thought here tho...

maybe core 1 dies so easily because its been factory damaged and poping the lid will just reveal a cracked core or something...

that would suck... no more warranty and finding a factory defect DOH

*crosses fingers*