unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its official... I have a very poor quality Opteron 175 :(

opteron1757vw.jpg

Maximum stable overclock is 2.7 ghz and thats with 1.56v (1.45 x 110% in BIOS), if it wasn't for the watercooling this speed would be impossible.

At 21° C room temperature the max load (2x Prime95, Large FFTs test) give me 42° C, but when playing non dual core games the system feels same or even better than the San Diego on my signature, and games like FEAR, Doom3 and Quake4 are between 10 and 25% or even more faster... and the 3700+ was running at 2.9 ghz.

temps5kd.th.jpg

I am looking at my posibilities, maybe I will try my luck and get a second one... however another $500 dlls processor just to get a better overclocker is not a good equation.

I got the same Opteron 175 with the same stepping, and I am doing 250 * 11 - 2750 with 1/1 diveder on air, full load is @ 37-38 runnning Prime95, does not go higher then 38c, 1.500 102.4%. I can get it to boot at 260*11 but not stable, if I get better ram then I have no problem getting that and higher.This is my stepping. OSA175DAA6CD CCBWE D546XPMW 1367286K50871. Maybe it your ram. The pic below shows full load running PRime95 for about 4+hrs

I got the same Opteron 175 with the same stepping, and I am doing 250 * 11 - 2750 with 1/1 diveder on air, full load is @ 37-38 runnning Prime95, does not go higher then 38c, 1.500 102.4%. I can get it to boot at 260*11 but not stable, if I get better ram then I have no problem getting that and higher.This is my stepping. OSA175DAA6CD CCBWE D546XPMW 1367286K50871. Maybe it your ram. The pic below shows full load running PRime95 for about 4+hrs

Dual Prime95, one on each core so both are at full? I can't do that at the default test... one core keeps under 30% usage so I get the same 38° C at 2.7 ghz. Are you sure you are testing right, I also performed the Large FFTs test which makes things hotter.

I can boot at 2.85 ghz too, but its quite unstable. I don't think its anything related to the ram, but I have a pair of XMS4400c25 that can go 1:1 at over 300 mhz and might test them later. The temperature for me its rather high since I am using watercooling, and its around 42° C like the picture says... try posting a pic to see the temperatures and the load on both cores.

Btw I am not sure but I think the stepping is the number below that one, which I believe is the product number. Mine is CCBWE 0546XPWM, and its nothing to what I expected :(

Hi guys I am new to these boards and I have a couple of questions...first I have an FX53 OC to 2.6ghz on an DFI NF-4 SLI-Dr with WC ...easy!!!, as mulitplier is unlocked . I just picked up an Opty 175 that I want to stick in its place and OC to current FX lvls. My first question; is there a dual core fix that I have to install both in bios rev and OS, via AMD or windows update? Second my current memory is Corsair XMS-Pro running 2-2-2-5 timings. I would like to go to 2 gigs of ram. I do like corsair but have heard there are some compatibility issues with DFI boards.....any other suggestions for RAM?

LOL, but what about my temperatures?????? :rolleyes:

I increased the vcore to 1.61v because the system froze during dual prime95 tests at 2.8 ghz... awww :( I doubt I will be able to run like this 24/7, much less during this next summer because right now it is at 45° C and the room temperature is 20.2° C.

After installing the AMD driver, which I still don't know if it was necesary in the first place, the HotFix sometimes is needed to address some "bugs" with aplications and games; for example BF2 stutters and crashes to desktop with out this hotfix. After the hot fix there is also a registry modification that might be needed.

I got the hotfix from another place, but after a GOOGLE search I found this other one: http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

This link points to the information about the Hotfix, I wonder why they didn't put a download link there... and also to the registry modification needed (sometimes) after installing the hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=896256

All this is ONLY needed if you experience problems with some aplications or games. BF2 seems to be the most common one. If you don't see any problems then there is no point installing all this.

Good luck

/Edit:

The registry modification is to disable the hotfix for mobile or battery operated systems, since the hotfix will increase performance or in other words reduce energy savings. The registry mod is to disable the hotfix, thats why there is a small note saying the value could be left as 1, opposite to 0 which disables the hotfix.

THeres ya answer mate, from 2 pages back ;)

sorrento -

have you thought about updating your bios? to see if it makes any difference.

If you've not already.

The signature doesn't reflect my system anymore, but since i am still at the testing stage I can't update it yet.

The BIOS I am using the the 704-2bt a, which is very nice; I tried it with the 3700+ first and I was able to push my 24/7 overclock up to 2.99 ghz. I don't think there is a better BIOS for dual core, yet if there was I am sure it wouldn't had nothing to do with how poor this Opteron 175 overclocks: the higher voltage and temperature is indication of this.

Hi guys I am new to these boards and I have a couple of questions...first I have an FX53 OC to 2.6ghz on an DFI NF-4 SLI-Dr with WC ...easy!!!, as mulitplier is unlocked . I just picked up an Opty 175 that I want to stick in its place and OC to current FX lvls. My first question; is there a dual core fix that I have to install both in bios rev and OS, via AMD or windows update? Second my current memory is Corsair XMS-Pro running 2-2-2-5 timings. I would like to go to 2 gigs of ram. I do like corsair but have heard there are some compatibility issues with DFI boards.....any other suggestions for RAM?

First and very important you need to read the rules of this forum, the most important one is that every user needs to write down his/her system specs as signature so it is easy for other people to help them. For example with out this signature I don't know what motherboard you are using, nor what power supply, video card and what kind of cooling you are using on that FX or what are you planning to use with the Opteron.

Second, and asuming you have a DFI motherboard, you do require to have at least BIOS version 623 so the Opteron and Dual Core work with the motherboard. People recomend BIOS 704-2bt a as a better option for dual cores, and thats the one I am using.

Third, all you have to do is to update BIOS, put options at Optimized Defaults... change processors, and start the machine :) Next when you load Windows for the first time, asuming you are not reinstalling windows, the OS will recognize the new CPU as new hardware and install some "drivers"; this might not be adecuate, so people recomend downloading the latest AMD driver for your dual core from AMD.com. This is probably the only thing you require, but there is a link explaining other actions you might have to take (MIGHT) if you have any problems with certain aplications (mostly games): LINK

Do not do anything except install the AMD driver, unless you are certain it is required.

Fourth, 2 gigabytes of ram are good... and Corsair is a good memory brand, however these sometimes are dificult to work with the DFI motherboard. At RAM GUy's forum there are guides for every Corsair memory for every motherboard available and I am sure you will find the needed RAM options to use on the motherboard's bios.

I am going to recomend OCZ since this brand is IMO the best one. Maybe not the best performer or the best overclocker, but it surely has the best user support; their forums are great and OCZ people work very close with DFI to make things work. I am using the OCZ Platinum EL 1gb modules (2 3 2 5) and they are very good, and I also have Corsair's XMS4400c25 2 x 512 which are really fast. GSkill makes great RAM, but offers little support, I have seen GEIL work great with dual cores but don't know them personally... and the same with other brands I guess.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

THeres ya answer mate, from 2 pages back ;)

To what question, I seem to have asked a lot lately :)

Also would you care to point into the right post, since two pages back for me might not be the same thing for you because of forum configuration (posts per page).