unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

Great thread guys. I am new at this (ie: still in the parts acquisition phase of my first build), and I am ready to buy a power supply. I have seen a lot of different suggestions in this area, and lots of people posting that have different power supplies. I definately plan to OC. Other parts I plan to get that aren't in the signature: stock OCed evga 7900 GT, 250GB hard drive, 1 more 120mm fan, non-stock CPU cooling, 2Gb(2X1GB) RAM. Am willing to pay up to $150. Any help??

Get a psu from the recommended list. 7900GT is a good choice, my XFX is clocked to 665/1800 and been running 3dmark 01, 03, 05 and 06 in a loop none stop and still running the fifth loop no artifacts. With the ram get the GSkill, this one :nod: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...highlight=Skill or an OCZ Gold, with the HS I'd go for the xp90 or cnps9500, again thats just me, because some users have used other brands and got better cooling. ;)

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that being said, I think it should at least get up to 2.6 with a moderate vcore like 1.45. :)

I am trying to contact the user I know with a Toledo 4400+ @ 2.6 ghz to ask him what vcore he is using, but I am 99% sure he is using the max his Asus A8N SLI Premium can give... something like 1.55v. From the start he required increased vcore.

Good hardware suggestion :)

I am trying to contact the user I know with a Toledo 4400+ @ 2.6 ghz to ask him what vcore he is using, but I am 99% sure he is using the max his Asus A8N SLI Premium can give... something like 1.55v. From the start he required increased vcore.

Good hardware suggestion :)

I'll look around the OCDB myself. :nod:

Gratz cjoe :)

I still haven't fixed my cooling yet, so my VMPW is 2.7gigging at 1.45v

3ghz is the ultimate! That wonderful marvelous figure... 3....

Nice work

Thanks..

The biggest benefit of the 3G is recoding DVDs. Recoded a 9GB DL to 5GB in only 20min. It was totally amazing.

The CPU requires 1.55V to maintain 3G for dual prime9 stability but it can do recoding stable at only 1.51V. It seems like alot of extra volts to accomplish total stabilty.

My biggest insight was using the 166 divider instead of the 180 divider. Although my memory is good to 175Mhz, the memory controller was having problems at the higher HTT levels. So 166 divider gave me prime stability.

Have you tried the 166 divider? It may just be the trick for you also. Moreover, I've been burning in my cpu at 2.9-2.95G for over a week before reattempting 3G. It seemed to respond because it wasn't dual prime95 stable at 3G no matter what voltage.

Good luck

cjoe

Have you tried the 166 divider? It may just be the trick for you also. Moreover, I've been burning in my cpu at 2.9-2.95G for over a week before reattempting 3G. It seemed to respond because it wasn't dual prime95 stable at 3G no matter what voltage.

cjoe

No I haven't yet, i'll have to give it a go, no time atm though, studying for midterms heh.

After tonight everything will be go for tweaking again :)

I want to buy a 170, Newegg has had decent steppings lately, at least so I heard. They got them for $400, should I just order from them? I checked flickerdown and I didn't find anything decent right now. Any Suggestions? I will order tomorrow, once my check from school clears.

update;

170 CCBWE 0546 XPMW $450.00 ("N" chip) boxed

170 ccbwe 0609 fpaw $417.24

165 ccbwe 0607 upbw $345.52

170 CCBWE 0551 UPMW $409.00

170 CCBWE 0550 UPMW $500.00

170 0550 UPMW Price - $542.00

170 0609 FPAW Price - $490.00

Which one is best bet? best deal?