unofficial DUAL CORE opteron thread

racinjimy

That's considered the best DC stepping to date, no? Were these ordered retail or OEM.

That is by far the best week/code we have seen so far. It was OEM 170 from Monarch, so far three people with 4 chips got lucky.

Some 0546 week code has also been doing great, just not quite as much as the 0530TPMW. Still very good chips.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who classy lady about Monarch, order it at noon EST and I recieved the Fed Ex shipping notification a little after 3. :nod: Now, if they sent me an 0530 I'll be TOTALLY satisfied.

I got mine today too, exact same stepping :D

Im goin to start the festivities here shortly ;)

Ill let u know how it goes.

I got a retail 165 CCBWE 0546 SPMW ... any information on this ... do you think it will be much different than yours at 300 x 9

Are you doing that with the retail heatsink

From reading it seams like in general the early weeks were good, the later weeks are pretty good, and everything between is so so at best

ok guys..is there an advatage to the 704-2BTA bios vs 623-2 bios.....I really not sure whether a flash is worth it
Are you having issues with your memory now? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You won't gain any performance unless you are having RAM issues because this BIOS is mostly about RAM caompatibility.

I got a retail 165 CCBWE 0546 SPMW ... any information on this ... do you think it will be much different than yours at 300 x 9

Are you doing that with the retail heatsink

From reading it seams like in general the early weeks were good, the later weeks are pretty good, and everything between is so so at best

Its water cooled, I dont see why i wouldnt be able to get the same oc with good air, as its only at 1.45 vcore, some seem to like to push it to 1.6 vcore or so.

so far from what i have seen at xtremesystems the 0546 seems to be the next best thing to 0530's.

Are you having issues with your memory now? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You won't gain any performance unless you are having RAM issues because this BIOS is mostly about RAM caompatibility.

No ram issues but a few nights back I ran my 165@2610 vcore 1.46 bios for 12hr 53min when I stopped it...I think ram was at 133 divider but I forget to right this down...

Anyway, I installed ATI cat 5.13(better dualie performance) and net 1.1....boosted my ram to 5:6=237mhz same setting that was 10 passes stable in memtest86, 6hrs @250mhz w/Venice....

I ran memtest86 again @237 to make sure ram still ok......10passes, 6hrs no errors

So I reran prime95 since I was doing alot of testing....2610(9x290),1.46 bios vcore,5:6 divider...ram 237mhz 3-3-3-7-1T ...prime 95 now crashed after ~10hrs cpu0, reran 2hrs later now crashing after 4.5hrs

I looked around and seems some Opteron have issues with 166/180 divider...so now repriming @217 or 150 divider

So I am wondering if a new bios would help this

well I used SP2004 stopped after 1.5hr was not sure had it set correctly...restarted and died in 24 min on cpu0...WTF

I ordered a 165 from Monarch on the 23rd for $270, on the 24th they went up to $280. On the 22nd they were $299.

Strange, all of the price fluctuations recently.

Hope I get a decent overclocker.

My Opteron sits in Memphis as I write this. Sigh.

Martin C asked how my two Opteron 170's with stepping CCBWE 0530TPMW have done. I thought I'd mention my progress here.

These processors are for two rigs. At the moment, one rig is running an Asus A8N-SLI Premium (which unbelievably will only volt up to 1.45 on the CPU) and the other rig is running a DFI NF4 Ultra SLI-D. I've just barely finished assembling the two rigs and have the following information from the DFI rig regarding performance and temps at various voltages.

Though I get pretty thorough with overclocking and stability testing, I like to quickly chart what voltage is required at various frequencies to simply achieve Windows booting and SuperPi 1M on each core. During this quick test, I run the RAM on a low divider. This test gives me a very quick glimpse at what I'm up against.

The Opteron 170 runs stock at 2GHz / 1MB Cache per core. The Auto CPU voltage setting in the BIOS seems to be the same as specifying 1.3 volts though of course CPU-Z shows something lower as always.

As I went upwards in 100 MHz increments, I got up to 2600 MHz bootable and SuperPi stable before I had to change voltages. I then started going up in 50 MHz increments.

2650 bootable and SuperPi 1M stable required 1.325 (BIOS setting, not CPU-Z report).

2700 required 1.375.

2750 required 1.400.

2800 required 1.450.

2850 required 1.500.

I couldn't get up to 2900, even applying 1.55 volts and given that these are not my personal rigs, I didn't really want to keep increasing the volts beyond 1.55.

As far as temps go, SuperPi 1M on one core at a time is not very helpful, but here's what I saw (these are loaded but only with one core and as reported by MBM5). Also note that though I've got a SI-120 heatsink on this, the fan is a very low CFM fan.

2000 (1.300) : 33C

2650 (1.325) : 38C

2750 (1.400) : 39C

2800 (1.450) : 40C

2850 (1.500) : 43C