Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

I don't understand then, is the TIM under the IHS was bad wouldn't the CPU be hotter?

I get that same differential running naked. Usually 28-30 on core 0, and 19-21 on core 1 - with load temps at 37/28, respectively. That's with ceramique + the components you see in my sig. Interesting...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that same differential running naked. Usually 28-30 on core 0, and 19-21 on core 1 - with load temps at 37/28, respectively. That's with ceramique + the components you see in my sig. Interesting...

I still don't understand, what does it have to do with the IHS then? And what differential was Ugly talking about? lol

I don't understand then, is the TIM under the IHS was bad wouldn't the CPU be hotter?

One way to fubar TIM application is to get an air bubble between the two surfaces. The trapped air will be forced sideways when the upper surface is tightened, pushing some TIM out of the way leaving a spot of less TIM in a concave crater like formation. If that spot happens to be over 1 core under the IHS, that core would be hotter (not sure how much or if it would drag the other core down with it). There are a million other easy ways to goof up the process in a non symmetrical way. Its not the material but the application.

Certainly not the most likely scenario, just a possibility. As I said it could be a contact thing or just poorly calibrated sensors, or anything (IIRC the DTS's in question are not officially supported until AM2 and AMD has no responsibility to the 939 iteration of the feature).

Ugly

EDIT:

;)

Just wanting to confirm that these two play nice together.

I would also like to know if the memory controller in the Opteron 185 might be good enough to run with 4 1gb sticks (my current 3800+ X2 is NOT good enough).

Thanks,

-Verxion

I would also like to know if the memory controller in the Opteron 185 might be good enough to run with 4 1gb
Stock speed? Probably not a problem. Overclocked? No way of knowing till you try.

Praz,

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anywhere that talks a bit about what sort of differences there are in the memory controller? I would THINK that a server CPU would be optimized for large amounts of memory, that is why I was hopeful that it would work with four sticks.

I don't mind running at stock speeds - in fact, that is my sincere hope, and the reason I am buying a 185 instead of a 165 or 170 - I would prefer to not have to deal with overclocking.

-Verxion

I would THINK that a server CPU would be optimized for large amounts of memory, that is why I was hopeful that it would work with four sticks.

There's more to the server environment then the processor. A mission critical server is also using a motherboard and ram designed for that task. The boards we use are optimized for overclocking. Unfortunately we can't have both.

That's why 4 sticks of ram is always a chance thing. And the farther away from stock settings the more unlikely success becomes.

Praz,

That makes sense. As it turns out though, all I am really after in the first place is stock settings. I am far more interested in stability than I am in overclocking.

Unfortunately, what I found out with my 3800+ X2 is that in DFI land there is no such THING as "stock settings". No one could ever give me a 4x1gb stock setting that would work. And there didn't seem to be a true "stock setting" for just the two 1gb sticks either.

I figured since Angry Games doesn't support the "supported" stuff I would go ahead and buy the less expensive "unsupported" Opteron cpu since I wouldn't be missing out on anything in the first place. :)

So thanks for the information. I ordered the cpu and so I should know in a week or so how it fares.

Wish me luck! :)

-Verxion

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have an Opteron 185 plugged into a Lanparty NF4 UD. It boots up and runs windows fine on stock settings. What I am currently having issues with, however, is running stable for prime95 and superpi. I tried changing to 2T, didn't help.

I am running memtest86 now, but thought I would ask if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks,

-Verxion