Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

Where can i find amd's offical stats that say what the maxium opterational tempatures is for my opteron 144?

I don't know if such stats exist, but generally speaking most will keep their CPU under 50 C at all times, and for good CPU health it's best to keep under 40 for long term usage. Every 10C cooler or hotter will either double or half the life of the chip.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice info Septem, what are your temps?

Low to mid-30s idle. I don't load very often but I know it's well under 50 at full load. I'm not really sure what's causing it but my temps seem to fluctuate by several degrees.

I'm currently using the stock cooler with a 90mm fan placed on top of it.

Guest LithoTech
Where can i find amd's offical stats that say what the maxium opterational tempatures is for my opteron 144?

Not official, but I go by this because from all the ones I've checked the tcase max on they've been correct. All the voltage info there for most chips too, and just about every processor imaginable.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Guest LithoTech
Low to mid-30s idle. I don't load very often but I know it's well under 50 at full load. I'm not really sure what's causing it but my temps seem to fluctuate by several degrees.

I'm currently using the stock cooler with a 90mm fan placed on top of it.

You have the fan settings in the bios set to vary with temps?

Mine are pretty much right on the edge of where the fan slows down to 800 rpm, and kicks up to full speed every 20 seconds or so. This is at full load folding at home and surfing here. If not folding, the fan shuts up nice and quiet. If overclocking, I change it to go full speed at the lowest temp so it's pinned no matter what.

My load temp right now is 34, XP-120 and panaflo. Chilly in the room though, about 70F.

System running stock speed still, haven't got the cooling system back in place yet since I swapped cpu's.

You have the fan settings in the bios set to vary with temps?

Mine are pretty much right on the edge of where the fan slows down to 800 rpm, and kicks up to full speed every 20 seconds or so. This is at full load folding at home and surfing here. If not folding, the fan shuts up nice and quiet. If overclocking, I change it to go full speed at the lowest temp so it's pinned no matter what.

My load temp right now is 34, XP-120 and panaflo. Chilly in the room though, about 70F.

System running stock speed still, haven't got the cooling system back in place yet since I swapped cpu's.

I have it set to vary with temps, but the "fully ON" temp is set to 55 C, which it never gets that hot. In fact I don't think my Opty's ever needed full RPMs although I could be wrong. Last time I heard the fan rev up was when I still had my Venice in, and only when running Prime/benchmarks at that.

i had it at 50c when i first got the board, which was the default setting on resetting the bios, for fan full on for cpu. ran a few benchmarks (3dmark 2001, 2003), and a few sandra benchmarks. Ran systool in the background to log the temps and it only got over 50c once, for 2 seconds, and the fan only went over 900 rpm's once. i'll try primes later. screwing with nvidia ntune to see what it does, since i don't have physical access to the machine until i get off work in 2 hours :D

Had my Opteron 165 for less than a week now and boy o boy am I impressed! Having fun too.

This thing loves being OC'd!! Currently highest Prime Stable Overclock is 325*9=2925 :-)))

I'm running DDR500 mind you but have kept the divider to 150 for now to be sure my memory doesnt cause any probs. is that a bad thing?

I am looking to the future, preparing for 3Ghz OC (my target) in the sense that 150mem divider @ 334Mhz=DDR500 right? So that's the reason behind my madness. When I was at 312*9 I had the divider at 166 and it ran fine, reached about 319 before started to encounter errors in Prime and SuperPi.

Once I got my memory timings right, I can up the FSB to 334, 335 with absilutely no worries at all. 3dMark and so on will run fine, PC seems very stable but errors in Prime 95. Still trying to assertain whether my new RAM likes more volts at higher (or even stock) FSB as so far between 2.5 and 2.6v seems to work great, over 2.6 and I get errors, guess my RAM just like low volts, not uncommon for UCCC as far as I can tell from reading other posts.

My hope is to get a 3Ghz stable OC so I can enter it in the OCDB but even 2925 is incredible for a 1.8Ghz Rated CPU!!

Currently - 325*9=2925 @1.45 + 104%vid

Temps - Idle 33-35, Load- 45-48

Guest LithoTech
I have it set to vary with temps, but the "fully ON" temp is set to 55 C, which it never gets that hot. In fact I don't think my Opty's ever needed full RPMs although I could be wrong. Last time I heard the fan rev up was when I still had my Venice in, and only when running Prime/benchmarks at that.

Try setting full speed to one degree past minimum temp and lowest speed to the minimum temp. So basically it's flat out all the time. Hit the desktop, load the cpu and see if your temps fluctuate. If they don't, then it is just your fan throttling that is causing the fluctuation.

You could bring the max speed/temp down from 50, no need for it to be that high, unless it's too noisy for you at full speed. Tweaking the settings a bit should be able to keep the fluctuation to a minimum. MBM's high-low log is great to monitor trends over time, allowing you to wipe the slate any time you make a change to the fans. Use it with WebTemp to get some automatic charts based on day, week, month, etc. I just looked at mine and see that my cpu fluctuates between 33-36 overall, but mostly 34-35 up and down all day long. I think that was my target, a 1 degree spread.

Here's the 8 hour chart

This is the 24 hour period

A week

You can see in the week period a bunch of downtime, reboots, idle time, etc. Even at idle the cpu is fluctuating, so I guess I have the fans set low enough that they still throttle at lower temps.