Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

Edit: @ Verxion

Boatloads of that ram here. Nine, yes 9, 2gb kits.

You're using a -3 BIOS. Try Tony's -2BT(A?), a -1 rev, or even a stock one. IIRC, the -3 BIOS's limit ya to the orange slots anyways.

And as has already been mentioned prior, get it stable using the two orange slots FIRST. Then add the other two in.

HTH,

Rick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech
Hello everyone!

I have an Opteron 185 plugged into a Lanparty NF4 UD. It boots up and runs windows fine on stock settings. What I am currently having issues with, however, is running stable for prime95 and superpi. I tried changing to 2T, didn't help.

I am running memtest86 now, but thought I would ask if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks,

-Verxion

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't he enable the memory hole feature when running 4 x 1GB sticks?

Can't recall exactly where in the BIOS it is, other than it isn't in the Geni area. I recall reading that it's function was for when running 4GB or more of ram, but maybe it was for running 4x sticks of any size.

Ok, to clarify, I am running only 2 1gb sticks at this time. I am having trouble getting them to run stable just those two.

I tried the settings in that image linked earlier in this thread, it did better, but still crashed super pi.

I upped my voltage to 2.8 volts for the DRAM from 2.6 volts, and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Anyone have some specific recommendation on the voltage I should run the memory at?

Thanks,

-Verxion

wardog,

I am running one of my 2gb kits with my "old" 3800+ X2, and the other 2gb kit with this Opteron 185. Every single other thing about the two computers is 100% identical.

Would you still make the same recommendation on the BIOS's considering that I am intending to run just 2gb in this system?

-Verxion

Ok, to clarify, I am running only 2 1gb sticks at this time. I am having trouble getting them to run stable just those two.

I tried the settings in that image linked earlier in this thread, it did better, but still crashed super pi.

I upped my voltage to 2.8 volts for the DRAM from 2.6 volts, and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Anyone have some specific recommendation on the voltage I should run the memory at?

Thanks,

-Verxion

I've use 2.8V, posted a few ocdb entries with these and ran them with the same setting no problems (DDR400~490);)

@Verxion

First use windows to scan hard disks for errors, can't say how well an unstable rig will scandisk but CPU/mem utilization will be well, well under pi or prime, it should work. Then..

Load optimized defaults, try Prime or pi.

If fail, then change the main timings to CAS 2-TRCD 3-TRP 2-TRAS 5, try prime or pi. If no go then try TRAS 6 then try cas 2.5.

Then try voltage to 2.7v then 2.8v.

Then try 2t timing.

Then try dividers starting with the lowest possible.

If it is still throwing a pissy fit, drop your CPU to the next lowest multi, then another tick lower.

I suspect you would be having a much easier time if you were using tony's 704-2 BIOS, as it sets some very lose stock timings. But I can't reccomend you flash BIOS when you have an unstable system of unknown origin.

Writing this quick please forgive typographical errors.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't he enable the memory hole feature when running 4 x 1GB sticks?

Can't recall exactly where in the BIOS it is, other than it isn't in the Geni area. I recall reading that it's function was for when running 4GB or more of ram, but maybe it was for running 4x sticks of any size.

Just for the record, yes your correct it is for 4gb.

Memory hole for PCI MMIO or in some bios the option is differently worded and includes the term "remap[ing]". It is a remap that allows the BIOS to recognize a full 4gb of ram. It only affects how much memory can be recognized and has no bearing on stability and could not be the genesis or a contributing factor of these types of issues.

Ugly

I tried booting tmod's CD and I get:

Start booting from CD...

Error loading image: DEFAULT.EZB

I think this is some issue with the BIOS. This very same CD loaded no issue on the same computer when I switched from the "factory BIOS".

I am gonna have to dig up a floppy drive and then the more difficult thing - a floppy disk.

-Verxion

Guest LithoTech
I just tried the 704-2BTA, it was considerably worse, so I am switching my BIOS back.

-Verxion

Might want to try the sticks individually, make sure you don't have a bum stick.

Try playing with your MAL and RP (max async latency and read preamble), as these tend to be sensitive to Optys. Try 6-5, 7-5.5, 8-6 etc. I know from previous experience that these two settings have cleared up errors for me, depending on the speed and wall that I hit.

I just tried the 704-2BTA, it was considerably worse, so I am switching my BIOS back.

:eek:

You by chance haven't gotten these 4 sticks mixed up have you? There's like three revisions now. No Rev on the sticker, Rev 1, ??Rev 1.1??, and a Rev 2.

Try THESE settings. They're at OCZ's Support Site and for the ram and board you're using although with Tony's 704-2BTA.

For the life of me I can not think of a single reason you'd need a vDIMM past 2.66 for only two sticks of this. Somethings amis.