Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

Try setting full speed to one degree past minimum temp and lowest speed to the minimum temp. So basically it's flat out all the time. Hit the desktop, load the cpu and see if your temps fluctuate. If they don't, then it is just your fan throttling that is causing the fluctuation.

You could bring the max speed/temp down from 50, no need for it to be that high, unless it's too noisy for you at full speed. Tweaking the settings a bit should be able to keep the fluctuation to a minimum. MBM's high-low log is great to monitor trends over time, allowing you to wipe the slate any time you make a change to the fans. Use it with WebTemp to get some automatic charts based on day, week, month, etc. I just looked at mine and see that my cpu fluctuates between 33-36 overall, but mostly 34-35 up and down all day long. I think that was my target, a 1 degree spread.

Here's the 8 hour chart

This is the 24 hour period

A week

You can see in the week period a bunch of downtime, reboots, idle time, etc. Even at idle the cpu is fluctuating, so I guess I have the fans set low enough that they still throttle at lower temps.

Well keep in mind I have that 90mm fan which is full blast 24/7, and it's doing most of the work. As for the noise of the stock fan at full blast, I haven't heard this one but I'm assuming it's like the Venice fan and that was annoying when it was fully on. The fluctuations we're talking here are really just a few degrees, like usually idle temps are from 33 C to 36 C, and that's with things running too so I don't know exactly how idle the CPU is at a given time.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech
Had my Opteron 165 for less than a week now and boy o boy am I impressed! Having fun too.

This thing loves being OC'd!! Currently highest Prime Stable Overclock is 325*9=2925 :-)))

I'm running DDR500 mind you but have kept the divider to 150 for now to be sure my memory doesnt cause any probs. is that a bad thing?

I am looking to the future, preparing for 3Ghz OC (my target) in the sense that 150mem divider @ 334Mhz=DDR500 right? So that's the reason behind my madness. When I was at 312*9 I had the divider at 166 and it ran fine, reached about 319 before started to encounter errors in Prime and SuperPi.

Once I got my memory timings right, I can up the FSB to 334, 335 with absilutely no worries at all. 3dMark and so on will run fine, PC seems very stable but errors in Prime 95. Still trying to assertain whether my new RAM likes more volts at higher (or even stock) FSB as so far between 2.5 and 2.6v seems to work great, over 2.6 and I get errors, guess my RAM just like low volts, not uncommon for UCCC as far as I can tell from reading other posts.

My hope is to get a 3Ghz stable OC so I can enter it in the OCDB but even 2925 is incredible for a 1.8Ghz Rated CPU!!

Currently - 325*9=2925 @1.45 + 104%vid

Temps - Idle 33-35, Load- 45-48

Very nice elessar!

Which Team Xtreem is that you have? Cronus? Or have you some new stuff replacing that?

I agree, the UCCC I have doesn't like extra volts beyond what I found it ran good with, not even +.03. They also didn't have any flexibility in timings, whether running slower or faster, I could not loosen or tighten the timings at all from the primary set that I found that they liked to run at. I did get a tick or better on a couple of them from their rated timings, but once there that is where they stayed no matter what speed I ran them at. The only thing I really had to adjust on them was MAL/RP and the divider, and I think tRC and tRFC.

But, I can't find any TX that uses UCCC. What I can find is the Cronus that uses Infineon (2 types), or Micron, or Samsung:

2Gb Kit Team Xtreem Cronus 3-3-3-8 PC4000 (Micron)

2Gb Kit Team Xtreem Cronus 3-3-2-8 PC4000 (Infineon) *R*

2Gb Kit Team Xtreem Cronus 2.5-4-4-8 PC4000 (Infineon)

2Gb Kit Team Xtreem Cronus 3-4-4-8 PC4000 (Samsung) *R*

Anyway, put your ram on lower divider and take it out of the equation. If it is the ram, maybe tweaking the MAL/RP will help, Opty's are particulatrly sensitive to that at higher frequencies. I know it is a huge wall with my 146, but once the setting is changed the big door opens wide. Try 7-5, 7-5.5, 8-6, etc.

Guest LithoTech
Well keep in mind I have that 90mm fan which is full blast 24/7, and it's doing most of the work. As for the noise of the stock fan at full blast, I haven't heard this one but I'm assuming it's like the Venice fan and that was annoying when it was fully on. The fluctuations we're talking here are really just a few degrees, like usually idle temps are from 33 C to 36 C, and that's with things running too so I don't know exactly how idle the CPU is at a given time.

Oh definately then, you need to log the sensor data over time to know where you are, and identify the trends, heavy and light use etc, exactly how much change there is. Otherwise, you won't even know if you improve on what you have. :)

Oh definately then, you need to log the sensor data over time to know where you are, and identify the trends, heavy and light use etc, exactly how much change there is. Otherwise, you won't even know if you improve on what you have. :)

That sounds reasonable, what do you use to log with?

Guest LithoTech
That sounds reasonable, what do you use to log with?

Motherboard Monitor is best IMHO, but takes a bit of tweaking to get just right. Then you'd also want to use WebTemp to chart the MBM data over time, but that is actually pretty easy to set up once MBM is good to go.

Huge thread on MBM and setup on DFI here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798

There's some presets you can download that will save a huge amount of time for the neophite, ask away in that thread for excellent knowledgable help.

An easier option is to use Everest. Simply open the sensor data tab and keep it in view, then open the preferences and go to the logging section. Activate logging, then toggle all the sensors in the list that actually show up in the sensor tab in the background. The HTML version of the file is great, you only need to see the top part of the page where there is an overview, it is quite clear and consise, although no charts. You could log a csv file and make charts yourself as well. You can also activate the onscreen display, toggling the same sensors, gives you a clear readout at all times. The newest version allows you to turn off the OSD with one button instead of deactivating every sensor.

I personally think Everest is worth it's weight in gold, it's the first thing I load on any new system since it's able to pickup sensor data from virtually any motherboard without having to setup anything manually other than turning on the appropriate buttons. It gives me all the data I need right away. Invariably, I end up eventually putting MBM on the system, but Everest gets me going till I get around to fine touches like that.

Motherboard Monitor is best IMHO, but takes a bit of tweaking to get just right. Then you'd also want to use WebTemp to chart the MBM data over time, but that is actually pretty easy to set up once MBM is good to go.

Huge thread on MBM and setup on DFI here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798

There's some presets you can download that will save a huge amount of time for the neophite, ask away in that thread for excellent knowledgable help.

An easier option is to use Everest. Simply open the sensor data tab and keep it in view, then open the preferences and go to the logging section. Activate logging, then toggle all the sensors in the list that actually show up in the sensor tab in the background. The HTML version of the file is great, you only need to see the top part of the page where there is an overview, it is quite clear and consise, although no charts. You could log a csv file and make charts yourself as well. You can also activate the onscreen display, toggling the same sensors, gives you a clear readout at all times. The newest version allows you to turn off the OSD with one button instead of deactivating every sensor.

I personally think Everest is worth it's weight in gold, it's the first thing I load on any new system since it's able to pickup sensor data from virtually any motherboard without having to setup anything manually other than turning on the appropriate buttons. It gives me all the data I need right away. Invariably, I end up eventually putting MBM on the system, but Everest gets me going till I get around to fine touches like that.

I'm actually using Everest right now, but like you said there's no graphs. I'll give MBM a try, thanks.

Very nice elessar!

Which Team Xtreem is that you have? Cronus? Or have you some new stuff replacing that?

I agree, the UCCC I have doesn't like extra volts beyond what I found it ran good with, not even +.03. They also didn't have any flexibility in timings, whether running slower or faster, I could not loosen or tighten the timings at all from the primary set that I found that they liked to run at. I did get a tick or better on a couple of them from their rated timings, but once there that is where they stayed no matter what speed I ran them at. The only thing I really had to adjust on them was MAL/RP and the divider, and I think tRC and tRFC.

But, I can't find any TX that uses UCCC. What I can find is the Cronus that uses Infineon (2 types), or Micron, or Samsung:

Anyway, put your ram on lower divider and take it out of the equation. If it is the ram, maybe tweaking the MAL/RP will help, Opty's are particulatrly sensitive to that at higher frequencies. I know it is a huge wall with my 146, but once the setting is changed the big door opens wide. Try 7-5, 7-5.5, 8-6, etc.

Mine would be the last one in that list as it uses the samsung chips.

You're so right about MAL and RPT something I have found. My Pc won't even boot with Mal set lower than 9 and having RPT at 1 or 2 ns lower than MAL seems to work. I've set this as high as 11 and 9 respectively but still getting errors in SuperPi and Prime if I up the divider to 166.

Thing that gets me is, I had Corsair TwinX before, only PC3200 and I thought it was ok for a while but I've been becomeing a bit more demanding lately, and really thought the team RAM would be better. But I could clock the Corsair as high as 275/550 but this PC4000 will hardly even run at 250.

I even tried lowering the FSB to see if the RAM would run at 260 and nope, at least, not without errors. So it turns out after all that it is the RAM holding me back as the CPU obviously clocks well. With the 325FSB and 150 divider I have found a config that works though I havent Primed it longer than 4 hours

I think it's like you said, the Opterons are very sensitive to RAM and dividers, and of course the MAL/RPT settings. Perhaps this RAM is good for DFI boards but just not so great with an Opteron. Ah well, I asuppose I'll keep it for a while and really do some serious research before getting better RAM. I am still getting up to scratch on a lot of stuff, especially as I am new to Dual core systems, but from what I've been reading lately BH-5 is the way to go?

Or again maybe that's not true with Opterons? Also it seems that quality DDR is becoming very scarce thesedays. My supplier ran out of the team UCCC ram shortly after I bought mine and their website states that they wont be getting anymore, period.....

Here's my RAM http://www.teamgroup.com.tw/xtreem/overclo...el-cronus-uccc/

I'm experiencing something similar, except the discrepancy is between "CPU temp" and the temperature of both cores. EVEREST is saying my CPU temp is 34-36 C, whereas coretemp is saying the temperature of each core is around 30 C. I've seen this happen to others on the forum too. What's causing it?

There have been reports of IHS removal fixing this issue, implying that the readings are accurate and the TIM application under the IHS is bad, or the IHS has an imperfect contact. A 2c-3c difference is normal, I'm reffering to the 8c-10c difference.

Ugly

There have been reports of IHS removal fixing this issue, implying that the readings are accurate and the TIM application under the IHS is bad, or the IHS has an imperfect contact. A 2c-3c difference is normal, I'm reffering to the 8c-10c difference.

I don't understand then, is the TIM under the IHS was bad wouldn't the CPU be hotter?