Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech

Not sure exactly what you are doing, putting cp4000 on a 166 divider to get the rated DDR500 speed. I are confused. :confused:

There are two ways of getting pc4000 to rated speed while keeping the cpu at stock speed.

I'll use the Opty 146 as an example because of it's 10x multiplier to keep the math easy.

1) Run the ram at 200 or 1:1 ratio. Reduce the cpu multiplier to 8x. Then increase the HTT (FSB) to 250mhz. This will give you 2.0ghz stock cpu speed (8 x 250) and your ram will be running at 250mhz or DDR500 which is pc4000 (1:1 ratio = same speed as cpu HTT).

2) With the newer BIOS revisions it is possible to set the ram ratio at above 1:1. I am not sure what the exact setting is because I've never used it, but you would pick the one that would equal 1:1.25 or 2:2.5. Therefore the ram would be running at 250mhz (DDR500 for pc4000) when the cpu is at 200mhz HTT.

Not sure exactly what you are doing, putting cp4000 on a 166 divider to get the rated DDR500 speed. I are confused. :confused:

There are two ways of getting pc4000 to rated speed while keeping the cpu at stock speed.

I'll use the Opty 146 as an example because of it's 10x multiplier to keep the math easy.

1) Run the ram at 200 or 1:1 ratio. Reduce the cpu multiplier to 8x. Then increase the HTT (FSB) to 250mhz. This will give you 2.0ghz stock cpu speed (8 x 250) and your ram will be running at 250mhz or DDR500 which is pc4000 (1:1 ration = same speed as cpu HTT).

2) With the newer BIOS revisions it is possible to set the ram ratio at above 1:1. I am not sure what the exact setting is because I've never used it, but you would pick the one that would equal 1:1.25 or 2:2.5. Therefore the ram would be running at 250mhz (DDR500 for pc4000) when the cpu is at 200mhz HTT.

Thanks, I learned ! :tooth: That makes perfect sense.

And, indeed I just reminded myself that there is 233 option in the memory ratio in mine, which was bought a few weeks ago.

Guest LithoTech
Thanks, I learned ! :tooth: That makes perfect sense.

And, indeed I just reminded myself that there is 233 option in the memory ratio in mine, which was bought a few weeks ago.

OK then, there should be a 250 option, that's the one you want I think.

Guys, this has really got my galls if you know what I mean. I have been flirting with 10X290 for a few weeks now, however have run into a hard wall at 10X289. I am prime and 3D stable at 10X285, but a step over that and prime or SP2004 fails within a few minutes on core 0. Seems like there is no way to get stable beyond this. Here are some of the things I tried. Is this the end?:confused:

- looser primary timings

- secondary timings,

- went through most Tref

- Various drive strenght, and DDS

- varous MAL RP

- 166 and 180 divider. Even tried 150 but this opty does not seem to like dividers much.

- Vcore up to 1.67 (by multimeter), thought that was :eek: high :eek: enough

- more vdimm

Any help/ideas most welcome.

Temps aren't too bad, might just be it's max, with that cooling though.

Yes it seems core 0 is hotter by about 4-6C. I ran accross a number of other threads here and Xtremesystems about opteron 170 that were very similar. This is an older vintage, and seems to behave the same. It looks like my only other option might be to pop the top on this one, but I'll have to see about that. Still very pleased thats about a 40% OC, and I am really glad I went dual core.

Thanks,

What cooler are you using?

I'm kind of surprised by how well everyone seems to be clocking on lower voltages. I'm running just about 2.8 GHz even and I've got the voltage up to 1.5V. Is that too high?

Cooler:

Thermalright XP-90 Multiple Heatpipes CPU Heatsink - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835109119

Fan:

Panaflo/NMB-MAT 92mm Hydro Wave RPM Sensing High CFM Fan

http://www.casecooler.com/pa80hywabefa1.html