Unofficial Opteron 939 Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know 2.6 is not a big deal but that is what I am running at, currently letting system fold while at school.

I hit 2.9 for about 3 seconds, so after I molest, coax, massage, tweak, sooth my motherboard, maybe I will find some stability, on air cooling, if I can do that, maybe ju maybe I can get a little extra ummph out of her with water cooling when I finally set it up.............ugh school work is a pain in the @ss

Guest SaLadin_SS

Hello Ladies and Gentleman

Current system

mobo-DFI nf4 ultra-d (704-2bt bois) just flashed to the 623-1 bios and retrying

CPU-Opteron 170

Ram-Corsair twinx10243200xlpro(this ram did 2700 all day at 2.5 3 3 6 in my nf3)

trying ram in yellow and orage slot only one stix at a time

Vid-x850xt pe

PSU-OCZ600Adj

HD-WD Raptor 74gb(1) i have another coming

Genie BIOS Settings:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 200

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - 4

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - x 10.0

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 105Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - startup

CPU VID Control............................... - Auto

CPU VID Special Control....................... - auto

LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.40v

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.80v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.8v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 180

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - enabled

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 2

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 2

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 5

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 2

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 12 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 24 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 3120 Cycles

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. - auto

DQS Skew Value................................ - 0

DRAM Drive Strength........................... - auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... - auto

Max Async Latency............................. - auto

DRAM Response Time............................ - Normal

Read Preamble Time............................ - auto

IdleCycle Limit............................... - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter............................... - disabled

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. - 16 x

Bypass Max.................................... - 04 x

32 Byte Granularity........................... - Disable(4 Bursts)

Now it boots up fine, but when i try to load the OS all is normal till it gets to formating the hard drive. Then it just sits there at 0% and doesnt move.

i am currently running memtest

I have read and read......but i am at a loss

Please Advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for any help. it greatly appreciated in advance

UPDATE!!!!!

switch bios to 623-1 and still get to format had drive after deleting partition and never moves from 0%

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since i switch Bios when trying to install OS i get the BSOD say windows is shutting down to prevent damage to your system etc.............. you know the one

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

ok the BSOD was because i switch the jumper on the HD. i switched it back and not i am back to the formatting screen the just stays at 0%

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

At tthis point i think the trouble is the HD Took off the Raptor and hooked up a old IDE drive and when the OS install reached the format HD part it started to format as normal. I looks like i am going to have to RMA the Raptor. and one have the link?

Please advise!!!!!!!!!

Guest SaLadin_SS

Sorry about that, since i was using an opteron i figured if i post in the regular NF4 threads some one would tell me that opterons are not suported so we cant help you here but you can try the unofficial opteron thread.

Link doesn't work, but i think i can find my way

thx for the continued support!

Update!!!!!!!!!

it would seem that the raptor i was using went bad. I have tried it in my other system and the system sees it but you can do anything with it.

i have hooked up another HD and all is fine so i am moving forward with checking base line stablility and then to overclocking

First Post

I've actually had a DFI Lanparty Ultra D for awhile now. I had another single-core 1.8 stock 64 in it since I first got it. That processor OCed reasonably well, up to 235x9.

I recently bought the Mushkin Redline and the Opteron 175. The Redline reaches all the way to 275 with +0.1V from stock with stock timings. Passes Memtest every time.

However, the Opteron isn't giving me the same luck.. I realize the results I'm getting are not to be unexpected, however I wanted to make sure that there aren't any other things I can try before I settle on my current OC.

The Opteron OCs to about 2600, however I have to knock up the voltage to 1.5V to achieve stability in Windows at that point. I've done this before, so I'm aware of many of the common mistakes, such as the HTT multi. I'm making sure I'm keeping the Memory well within it's range as determined by my earlier memory tests during my CPU tests as well.

At 2600, the CPU is running at 32/33ish up to 39/40 on load. the PWNIC (spelling?) is running at 41ish to about 43/44ish on load. The chipset is running 40ish to about 42/43ish on load.

I did a fresh install of XP once I got the CPU in there. It worked at stock with my old install, but I didn't try to OC it under that install. Chipset and all other drivers are up to date.

Sorry I forgot to look at the steping before I put the paste and heatsink on -- cpuz says Family: F, Model: 3, Stepping: 2, Ext. Family: F, Ext. Model: 23.

My questions:

Should I try another BIOS? If so, which one(s)? The current BIOS that is on there was put on using Winflash - could this cause problems?

Whenever I increase the CPU beyond the 2600 mark on 1.5V, the Computer restarts when it gets to the "Update Bios ...". Does this mean anything or is it just normal?

What is a "safe" maximum voltage and temperature for the 175? I can deal with a shortened lifespan.. but I would like the processor to last around 6 months or so on the low-end of the possible lifespan.

Are there any other things I can try? Should I ebay this CPU and get another (from a vendor that sells specific stepings?) if I want a higher OC? Should I try and get an Expert board (not sure how much better in OCing those are compared to the 'normal' boards)?

it would seem that the raptor i was using went bad. I have tried it in my other system and the system sees it but you can do anything with it.

i have hooked up another HD and all is fine so i am moving forward with checking base line stablility and then to overclocking

--Before RMA (if you have information/data that need to backup--

About HDD[Western Digital 160GB IDE-100], I had this problem before.

Before I formatted it, I had used "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)" to repair/check my HDD

After formatted, I used "EasyRecovery" to recover my data.

It could recover around 95% of all my data.

Admitche,

Bios may play a small role, but dont get to excited as your setup may be at its max.

I use the bios from OCZ Tony (aka Big Toe) with some success on my rig, but I do not have a dual core.(you will find the bios over on the bios page)

I have seen many people who also use Winflash without problems. However I use the ISO boot cd mentioned a few posts ago, and its great.

rem: Dont reflash with the system overclocked, always load defaults first.

You mentioned not being happy with a 2600 clock. Neither was I, but I went through 3 cpus to get one that would get me further. If money is no real problem go for it, but before moving on, make sure you have really reached the max for your setup.

The overclocking guide (thoroughly recommend) goes through this process stepwise and logically, finding the best ram settings / speed, and then the cpu. Then bringing both these together and testing, testing testing...(pifast then occt then prime95).

I seem to be crapping on, sorry for that I havent had my morning coffee yet.

Oh yeah, your temps look ok.

Good luck..