All AMD X2 owners should read this. Game performance issues.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens to me with Far Cry quite often. The game seems to speed up immensely (you press a key and suddenly you're running all over the place), or there's audio stuttering. Alt-tab and setting cpu affinity on the game's process seems to solve the problem. I don't have x2 drivers installed (c&q is on "auto" in bios but it should make no difference since there are no drivers installed in windows) and the machine isn't overclocked.

I'm not so sure I'd blame this on X2, but rather on incompatibility of OS, drivers and multi-cpu systems. Did anyone hear if users of regular dual cpu machines (e.g. dual opteron) or better yet users of dual-core P4's have these same issues?

I don't have the drivers loaded either and have not experienced any problems in Far Cry.

I don't have the drivers loaded either and have not experienced any problems in Far Cry.

I've experienced the problems in Farcry as well, but have not had the chance to test that game yet with the affinity option. The problem is you need to play the game for 2 hours straight with no slow down/stuttering or other odd behaviour to consider it stable. Playing it for 15 mins might not reveal the problem. Personally, games start acting up after 30 mins to 45 mins of play with no affinity set to on their process. As you can imagine, it takes a while to test games during the weekdays.

http://www.angrygames.com/ocdb/angry/2x1gb...water_2gb-1.jpg

strange that cpu-z doesn't show the revision of my X2 4400+....but I would assume mine is an original since we got them right after AMD started producing them (benefit of working for a motherboard mfg lol)

I'll hook that rig back up and try to sit down on it and game a bit, but I never had any problem with Doom3 and BF2 in the few short times I have had some time to sit on it and play

Hey ho all,

I use Everest and it says I have an E6. I'm in the UK and got my 4400x2 when they first came out, maybe it depends on the sales region as to wether you got an E6 or other revision? :rolleyes:

revision BH-E4 here. Running at stock speeds w/ amd driver. BF2, Warcraft 3, World of Wacraft, Fable, Earth 2160, FEAR Demo, HL2, Far Cry all works fine.

Now, when overclocked to 240x11. Fable, Starship Troopers Demo, GTA San Andreas experiences game slowdown and speed up.

No problems here what so ever:

Revision SH9-E6

games I play:

HL2

FarCry

Enemy Territory (online)<---- intensly

And tested FEAR demo

AMD driver installed

CnQ disabled

I'm Oced a little at the time, but I ran at stock for a couple of months (until I learned how to deal with DFI lol) and no problems at stock either.

Peace

Is this the driver that helps with the x2?

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions Version (exe) 1.2.2.1 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows 64 bit OS.

Hmmm intresting read..I do get Sound stutteriing in Battlefield 1942 Desert combat,I thought for sure it was because i was running 315 H/T so I backed it down to 275 but issue still remains.

I am going to try to set the affinity.I know for a fact Dual Amd Mp chips and Dual Xeon chips never had any gaming issues so apparently a true dual cpu does something a bit different.

I wonder if the close proximity of all the cores communications are causing interference with each other ? ? ? ? ? Sorta like turning on a vacume cleaner while using a radio ?

I just recieved my 3800+ lastnight, running it at 260X10 with no problems. I haven't experienced any problem in games but I havent had time to run a game for 2 hours either. Going to a LAN party this weekend so I'll be able to test it better there. As a side note, when I installed the dual core it showed as a single at first, once I installed the drivers for the X2 and rebooted it showed the dual cores correctly. With an Intel system I use at work I had to change the hal in the boot.ini to make it recognize dual CPU's so I was pretty happy I didn't have to mess with that.

Hey ho all,

I use Everest and it says I have an E6. I'm in the UK and got my 4400x2 when they first came out, maybe it depends on the sales region as to wether you got an E6 or other revision? :rolleyes:

The problem only manifests itself when you try overclocking. There are a couple fixes, but the most important ones are to:

1) Install the X2 CPU driver from AMD (I could only do this successfully in Safe Mode). This also updates your BOOT.INI to include the "/usepmtimer" switch.

2) Disable C & Q in the BIOS

3) Turn power scheme to "Always On"

Since I've done these steps, I no longer have a stuttering issue on my 3800+ rig (specs to come in new sig).

The problem only manifests itself when you try overclocking. There are a couple fixes, but the most important ones are to:

1) Install the X2 CPU driver from AMD (I could only do this successfully in Safe Mode). This also updates your BOOT.INI to include the "/usepmtimer" switch.

2) Disable C & Q in the BIOS

3) Turn power scheme to "Always On"

Since I've dnoe these steps, I no longer have a stuttering issue on my 3800+ rig (specs to come in new sig).

Don't be so quick to presume. I am not overclocking my system yet, I am seeing all these problems on my system. The links I included in the original post have users who are not overclocking yet experiencing the same issues.