All AMD X2 owners should read this. Game performance issues.

Hello everyone new member first post. I just put together a new X2 Opteron system and was expereincing game lag as well. I used the affinity setting but I did not see any remarkable changes. One thing I did do to make a drastic change in game play in FEAR was to put a check mark next to the EAX sound setting.The game plays flawlessly now.

I've never had any type of problem with FEAR so the game lag you've experienced might be due to something else. Can you do a sig so we all know what type of system you have?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still get a few random crashes when running Azureus and a bunch of other stuff at once, usually just from my RAM being hammered by everything at once and just saying "screw it". I got it refurb from Newegg, so it's probably not ALWAYS 100% stable, but it passed Memtest86+ over a dozen times on tests 5 and 8, so I figure it's an OS thing. (I am running XP x64.)

Guest mars

I know this is gonna sound stupid - but pretty much every game is built for a single core processor. By the time our processors are out of date, (2yrs tops) this is when games will be taking advantage of dual core processors at a software level.

Just get the fastest single core you can buy or overclock as much as reasonably possible - for best gaming performance.

...And get a really good GFX card and LCD monitor :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had installed the AMD patch and turned off the Cool'nQuite when I first built my system in january and never had any issues with the set-up listed in my sig.

That was until I flashed the BIOS last week from (BIOS 06/23/2005) to (BIOS 04/06/2006). Now I experience the client speeding up on Planetside, DAOC, EQ2, after 6-8 hours of continual play. Uninstalled and reinstalled the AMD drivers, no joy. Only fix right now is to reboot, then everything is dandy for another 8 hours. PC can be on any length of time without issues starting a game up, but if the game is on for said amount of time the problem pops up and does not go away until a fresh PC reboot.

I know this is gonna sound stupid - but pretty much every game is built for a single core processor. By the time our processors are out of date, (2yrs tops) this is when games will be taking advantage of dual core processors at a software level.

Just get the fastest single core you can buy or overclock as much as reasonably possible - for best gaming performance.

...And get a really good GFX card and LCD monitor :)

Not entirely true, Oblivion takes into account dual-cores, as it's a multithreaded game (blood, landscape etc), as is Doom3 (with the latest patch) and Quake 4 (also with latest patch).

I did a format and reinstall and have noticed the speeding up/slowing down a bit again - accidentally installed the older version of AMD CPU Driver - last time when using the latest version, everything was sweet. Just my 5c ;).

Found something interesting... June 2006

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core or multiple processor systems.

Testing it out now. Wierd it wasn't listed on the Opteron or X2 Driver page.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...71_9706,00.html

I have experienced with loosing connection in BF2 if I don't set my affinity. Was also considering loosing the X2 4400 until I figured out the affinity solution. Simply set everything but BF2 on your CPU 1 and BF2 on CPU2. Now it is always smooth sailing and performance is excellent. No lost connection either.

I also have those stuttering errors, I tried everything described in this thread, but I dont get a completly smooth game. I tried a step back to the 84.xx nvidia grafics drivers but than i get errors messages and game crashes instead of lags.

What I've done already:

- AMD Driver

- AMD Dual Core Control Tool

- Windows XP Dual Core Patch

- set Affinity of Processes

Nothing of those things helped me :-/ any idea?

I had the issue of it speeding up in game movement for my char in EQII dx 9...everybody said i had hacks...heh.

I swapped it from my asus to my dfi board, and for the time being i'm not having that specific problem (though i've traded that one for a different one...which is being worked on elsewhere in the forum...).