NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That stuff works pretty well, but I would clean it off carefully using a plastic card, alcohol, and soft cloth; then use AS5 or other Artic high quality compound going by the instructions on their website. I would recommend getting an XP-90 with a good fan (Panaflo, Sunon 92mm., or equivalent) You will get several degrees of better cooling and you will need it for OCing.

That stuff works pretty well, but I would clean it off carefully using a plastic card, alcohol, and soft cloth; then use AS5 or other Artic high quality compound going by the instructions on their website. I would recommend getting an XP-90 with a good fan (Panaflo, Sunon 92mm., or equivalent) You will get several degrees of better cooling and you will need it for OCing.

I see, so I'm OK with what I've got then. I'm not planning to OC anytime in the near future, and it'd be a real pain to get AS5 since I don't drive or have a credit card (unless they sell it at RadioShack wich I highly doubt), so I think for now I'll use what they supplied for the time being. Thanks.

you dont have to spread out the as5 with like a straight edge? i read that in the instructions on the as5 website. would spreading it out be better or pressing down pressure on the hsf?

you dont have to spread out the as5 with like a straight edge? i read that in the instructions on the as5 website. would spreading it out be better or pressing down pressure on the hsf?

read the AS5 website again for applying to cpu's with integrated heat spreaders (IHS) and you will see the directions are very different than for bare-core cpu's like P3 and AthlonXP

I see, so I'm OK with what I've got then. I'm not planning to OC anytime in the near future, and it'd be a real pain to get AS5 since I don't drive or have a credit card (unless they sell it at RadioShack wich I highly doubt), so I think for now I'll use what they supplied for the time being. Thanks.

regular thermal paste that comes with heatsinks, heck, even the 'waxy thermal pad' that comes on stock AMD64 heatsinks is sufficient, especially if you don't plan to overclock.

AS5 is like high octane racing fuel...if you plan to push something to it's limit, then you want some of hte best...and 84 octane gas isn't going to do it for ya in a racing engine ;)

but for driving to and from the store and work and no racing...?

well, gas it pretty much gas as long as it is not made of water ;)

did you overclock your cpu on that setup? whats your temps for it?

for that clip thing you use to keep the fan on the heatsink, did that come with the heatsink or did you get it on your own?

did you overclock your cpu on that setup? whats your temps for it?

for that clip thing you use to keep the fan on the heatsink, did that come with the heatsink or did you get it on your own?

1. Overclocking Database for all my overclocks

2. Overclocking Database = my entries almost always have temp monitor showing in screenshots

3. came with the heatsink (highly recommended XP-90 aluminum + 92mm fan retail unit from Thermalright (purchased at www.svc.com in USA...product info can be found at www.thermalright.com on the heatsink)

4. make yourself a sig before someone else (or me) jumps all over ya about it please

Here, I suppose, is why you don't want to go voerboard with the AS5:

Should be called adhesive!!!

Comments: I just went to pull out my chip for upgrading, and couldnt get the OEM P4 fan off. So I took the outer claps off, and was pulling stright up on the fan... THE CHIP PULLED OUT OF THE ZIF SOCKET. I used a lil too much in hine sight, it had rolled onto the sides of the chip... ITS SO HARD TO REMOVE!!!

Reviewed By: RacerX, 9/18/2005 7:59:21 PM

0 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Did you?

:shake: :shake: :shake: