NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Radeon 7500 is a PCI.

Any suggestions for a mid range PCI-E card. Thinking now about EVGA E-GEFORCE 6800GS SLI 256MB for about $C270 as it is meant to be a good overclock. Had thought about an ATI GTO2 but apparantely they're now not overclockable. Any suggestions for something similiar or better????

Alright my first build. I did everything according this post....I think. I hooked up a cd drive and floppy. Fired it up and it started up and went through some stuff. Kept telling me to insert disk. My board came with a floppy and cd. The floppy I saw was for raid drivers. The cd contained the drivers that I thought it was asking for. I put it in and it keep telling me to put the disk in and press enter. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Hey, when you said a 24-bit 480 W psu was required for stabily... ummmm is that like crucial because you see I am using a 420 W psu that came with the crappy 50 dollar ASPIRE X-Dreamer II case.

please tell me if i can continue this build.

btw, nice review man you're a life saver.

Alright my first build. I did everything according this post....I think. I hooked up a cd drive and floppy. Fired it up and it started up and went through some stuff. Kept telling me to insert disk. My board came with a floppy and cd. The floppy I saw was for raid drivers. The cd contained the drivers that I thought it was asking for. I put it in and it keep telling me to put the disk in and press enter. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

I didn't know you had to hit delete to enter bios... :( Now I know and I at least got that far. Loaded optimized settings and next I'm going to start putting everything in the case. I didn't tinker with no settings. I'll be happy just to get her up and running.

Why the dab of AS5 that seems kinda noobish to me I always spread the thermal compund on with a razor you do not want to just dab it on there metal on metal is alot more conductive than metal on AS5 on metal you want to fill in the microscopic scratches and spaves not to just "smush" it on. Try it and you will see a difference if you don't believe me.

-Psorian

Hey, when you said a 24-bit 480 W psu was required for stabily... ummmm is that like crucial because you see I am using a 420 W psu that came with the crappy 50 dollar ASPIRE X-Dreamer II case.

please tell me if i can continue this build.

btw, nice review man you're a life saver.

I built mine witha 420W PSU from raidmax that also came with my case and everything went fine nothing wrong but I have since upgraded to a 580W Aerocool Turbine Power PSU and still I didn't notice any difference so I say go for it it won't hurt unless it is super bad quality.

-Psorian

I should have read this before installing :) it seems i intalled the heatsink so that the pipes are pointing up and not in the pci-e slot... Do you guys think i should turn it?

The machine has been on for 2 days straight and i have not seen smoke yet, and the temperatures are

CPU core: 36

PWM area: 47

Chipset: 47

Why the dab of AS5 that seems kinda noobish to me I always spread the thermal compund on with a razor you do not want to just dab it on there metal on metal is alot more conductive than metal on AS5 on metal you want to fill in the microscopic scratches and spaves not to just "smush" it on. Try it and you will see a difference if you don't believe me.

-Psorian

He's just following Arctic Silver's instructions: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Scroll down to the instructions for the P4 and Athlon 64. CPU's that come with a heat spreader do not need their heat spreader covered with thermal paste, the benefit is gained when the thermal paste is over the actual chip. The paste will naturally spread and fill in imperfections in the surface.

The flip side is that it is very easy to apply too much paste and decrease the benefit. Too much paste will hurt performance and if excessive hurt the hardware.

I should have read this before installing :) it seems i intalled the heatsink so that the pipes are pointing up and not in the pci-e slot... Do you guys think i should turn it?

The machine has been on for 2 days straight and i have not seen smoke yet, and the temperatures are

CPU core: 36

PWM area: 47

Chipset: 47

I'm a noob but I recently built my rig. I don't know if you should reinstall your HS but lookn at your numbers they are relatively high compared to mine.

CPU: 29

PWM:39

Chipset: 40

This is on air only and unoc'ed.

• 2 weeks later...