Nf4 Ultra-D power issues with seasonic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alexo,

I am totally convinced that the DFI is pulling too much current on the 5vsb. Came to that conclusion a few months ago when I bought an Enermax 565 (with 2.5 A on the 5vsb) to replace my Seasonic. The Seasonic runs my ASUS A8N Premium just fine (which I bought when the DFI wouldn' get past the 4 LEDs of death). I have no technical details to prove this other than the articles you mentioned (which I have also read in the past). These are a lot more information than DFI ever published.

I agree totally that DFI is not coming clean about their power draw on the 5vsb. But hey, that is just business. :rolleyes:

the Seasonic S12-600 I have only has a 2.0A 5vsb and it boots just fine in every NF4

Seasonic has our boards as we have done a product exchange with them

as I said a long time ago in this thread, if you have a Seasonic psu that will not boot with our boards, you MUST contact Seasonic and have your psu replaced as it is not a problem with our boards.

Take my words to heart, or ignore them, it is up to you. Seasonic has replaced every psu that wouldn't work with our boards with a psu that does work with our boards for every customer that has contacted them as far as I know (and this was the case as of up to a week ago when Seasonic and DFI were last in contact)

Am i having the same problem as others here?

I have a revision a.2 s12 600 watt seasonic psu

DFi NF4 Ultra-d

1 gig of gskill ddr

a64 4000

x800xl

wd 10 k 74gig raptor

maxtor 300 gig

The pc boots and goes past the first bootup screen (detects all drives)

It gets past the screen with all the irq information and at the bottom says bios backup ok!

Then on the first windows screen it freezes and reboots.. all my usb devices shut off just before it reboots.

If i let it cycle a few times it will finally get into windows where the pc is 100% stable passes all tests (prime 3dmark gaming pi windows memtest ).

The pc ran for 3 days with zero problems ran every type of stress test you could imagine and it was stable 100%.

but as soon as i reboot i have these problems getting into windows

There's no bsod no errors it just freezes and reboots about 3 seconds later

All voltages tempretures are perfect.

Ive never changed any jumpers on my board since i bought it about a year or so ago and i noticed the memory jumpers were set to 3.3v (to the left) which im told is fine..

Im only running 2.7v through ram

Ive run disc check's and checked windows files.

Master boot record is fine

Read through most of the thread while at work and my problem seems related to this but maybe your right and it's not will start a new thread.

I will read and understand the forum rules regarding my sig.

Hello all, and sorry for my english coz i'm french :)

I've bought last week a totally new config (below)

I've burned two PSUs past three days.

The first was the enermax 485W.

After i have assembled my sytem and install windows xp. All works good. But suddenly, there was a big flash in the tower (open near me) and the PSUs was dead (i have testing with another mb). All settings were stock, no overclocking.

So i thought it was unluncky.

I have rebought a 2nd PSUs friday, the Seasonic S12 500W rev A2. All works fine saturday. Just some boot problem like this topic, i'd to switch the power more than one times for my system boot, when the system starded, it was all ok.

So i've doing some 3D bench.

Saturday evening i've trying to overclock the opteron. I've reach for the first try a 2550 Mhz with 1,5vcore. So ive decided to let prime95 running all the night.

The sunday morning, the PSUs started to making an odd noise, like clic clicclic clic.

I've shuting down the system ... And i could never restart. I heard the hdd which initializing, i shut down the PSUs one more time and when i switch power one more time, the circuit breaker of my flat have ..heu ... dont know in english, i think you 've understand.

First, i ve phone this morning to nanopoint. It's the official resceller of seasonic product in France. They have confirmed to me (like i'd can read on some french forum) there was problem with new rev A2 500W (not 600 but i'm not sure) Most of Rev a2 product before september 2005 could have some problem.

If the serial number start by S/N:0508 like mine. It was produce in august and there is a possibility of some problem.

Any others ideas about my first alim burned ?

And so sorry for my english :(

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased an S12-600 watt from ewiz about 7 months ago for my DFI Ultra D,

it was revision A2 and always made an electrical screech noise when first turned on.

After 7 months of use, it would suddenly take 2-3 pushes of the power button for the computer to turn on. Then, it wouldn't power it up at all. I rma'd the unit and received another A2. This one won't even power the board long enough for me to get into the bios screen.

I swapped out the Seasonic for my trusty Fortron Blue Storm, and the DFI fires up EVERY TIME.

I hooked up the replacement S12-600 to my other NForce4 board (eVGA) and it too refuses to boot with the Seasonic. It sometimes will get into the bios screen and then it just shuts itself off. I moved my Blue Storm over to the eVGA; and wallah, it boots up first push every time.

I'm extremely angry at Seasonic. I paid $30 bucks to ship it 3 day to the rma center where it was sent back ups ground, a total of 3 weeks without a power supply for my main pc and the replacement is worse than the unit I sent them.

I've sent several emails to support about my replacement being bad, I have yet to receive ANY answer.