Nf4 Ultra-D power issues with seasonic

It has deffinately helped having the ram in the orange slots.

After shutting down in windows, my rig will not turn on again. I have to turn the PSU switch off then on but out of 10 boots every single one has worked with the first push of the power button after switching the PSU off/on. Infact whilst typing this ive just flicked the PSU off then on after a shutdown and i have another flawless reboot.

Now my memory is in the correct slots do you think changing the jumper positions which seemed to fix so many other people's problems will now fix mine? If no, will turning my PSU off then on every time i want to boot my PC harm the PSU or any other component in the PC?

I can live with it as long as i know it wont harm my PC.

A swift answer would be greatly appreciated as i want to finally put my rig into position in my room and finish setting it up! :)

Thanks,

Penn.

*Quick edit* I must have done a further 20 reboots since then and i have 100% success rate on boot after switching my psu off then on.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angry_Games stated the problems with the S12 are solved

check: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30352

Maybe Angry_Games could give some more information about this; what revision the problem is solved, what actually the problem was (for guys owning older revisions, than we might know if the capacitor trick would work, or is it the problem that there is not enough load on the 12V rail (than you could add load to the 12V rail to solve the problem))

Alexo you are probably correct in that I have an REV A2 with NO zero in it and it works fine as regards booting on my NF4 boards. So what more is to be said? There is nothing I can say or AG can say good bad or indifferent about a problem we no longer have since Seasonic sent him two Rev A2 power supplies one of which he sent to me and it worked fine and his worked fine on his boards when using Rev A2.

DFI is not going to tell you anything about a capacitor on any lines. Load balancing is something that must be considered for many lines of power supply out for public consumption. But again all of that falls into the area of the power supply itself and DFI is not going to get into load balancing a power supply. That is for the power supply forums and gurus and discussions.

Penn makes a very intersting statement of his own experience.

I solved my problem!

I went and bought an enermax noisetaker 485W PSU which is on the DFI A list.

Everything works fine now on every boot

I think in the long run that Seasonic as a power supply manufacturer should know more about their power supply than me. If I don't like their answer to a question I ask them; then I can get something else. It is that way with any computer component. And then there are always variations; exceptions to the rule as it were.

Personally I don't have much use for any power supply that does not allow me to adjust the rails. NOTE: I said " I " do not have much use for power supplies that do not have adjustable rails. So where does that leave me when using power supplies. Yep, I use the PCPower&Cooling 510 SLi version and an OCZ PowerStream 600 and they both crank every time and I don't have to worry about weak current regulation or the like. Choosing to run that way just takes one more variable OUT of the equation and I can concentrate on my overclocks and benches and tech emails and leave the power supply wondering to others really.

So how did I come to this state? After buying from my own pocket 4 power supplies to get to ONE that could carry the load when pushing my mobile 2500 on NF2 board to 2740Mhz and having it 'stay' useable there. No more guessing at power supplies for me. Four trips to the little cheaper dealer at the time taught me a huge lesson. A lesson that I have not forgotten until today.

RGone...

Hello RGone,

Thank you for your reply.

Alexo you are probably correct in that I have an REV A2 with NO zero in it and it works fine as regards booting on my NF4 boards. So what more is to be said? There is nothing I can say or AG can say good bad or indifferent about a problem we no longer have since Seasonic sent him two Rev A2 power supplies one of which he sent to me and it worked fine and his worked fine on his boards when using Rev A2.
It is great that your PSUs work perfectly. However, there are several posts here indicating that people are still encountering problems with the A2 revision. Therefore a problem probably still exists.

DFI is not going to tell you anything about a capacitor on any lines. Load balancing is something that must be considered for many lines of power supply out for public consumption. But again all of that falls into the area of the power supply itself and DFI is not going to get into load balancing a power supply. That is for the power supply forums and gurus and discussions.
I do not represent the community but I can tell you my own point of view.

I do not expect you (the collective "you", meaning the DFI representatives) to find a solution to the problem.

I do expect you to continue working with Seasonic, to inform them that people are still having problems with the new revisions of their PSUs, to not declare the problem "solved" just because a couple of hand-picked PSUs happen to work on your machines.

I also expect you, as people that have a more direct channel to Seasonic than us mortals, to facilitate the communications between them and the people who need their PSU replaced. There are communication barriers (language?) and you can request that Seasonic set up an email account (that would be read by a person with a relatively good grasp of English) specifically to deal with this problem.

I think in the long run that Seasonic as a power supply manufacturer should know more about their power supply than me. If I don't like their answer to a question I ask them; then I can get something else. It is that way with any computer component. And then there are always variations; exceptions to the rule as it were.
The manufacturer knows about their products, but the interaction of their products with yours is a grey area. If you tell them that, in your opinion as a DFI representative, revision A2 solves the problem, they will stop working on it and will attribute all further issues to either "user errors" or statistically insignificant flukes. If, on the other hand, the official DFI position was that the Seasonic PSUs are UNRELIABLE with the world's most known enthusiasts' board, I'm sure that Seasonic will do their best to fix it.

Personally I don't have much use for any power supply that does not allow me to adjust the rails. NOTE: I said " I " do not have much use for power supplies that do not have adjustable rails.
But you are not just a private person, you are an official representative of DFI (at least on this forum) and, as such, you should also represent the users of your products.

Some of your users look for the fastest overclock (like yourself) while others prefer to have a quiet system.

As an analogue: I am a software developer and sometimes our products have incompatibilities with other applications that they interact with.

If I were to tell the users that complain about problems "well, if it works fine on my machine then the problem must be solved so stop bothering me with trifles", I'd be looking for a job faster than you can say C++.

Thank you for your consideration,

Alex.

Funny how the Seasonics work fine on all other motherboards, but not the DFI. :rolleyes: I have a Seasonic that works fine on my ASUS a8n sli Premium, but doesn't get past the 4 LEDs of death on my Ultra-D. I have posted my experiences elsewhere so I won't repeat myself. :mad:

Funny how the Seasonics work fine on all other motherboards, but not the DFI. :rolleyes: I have a Seasonic that works fine on my ASUS a8n sli Premium, but doesn't get past the 4 LEDs of death on my Ultra-D. I have posted my experiences elsewhere so I won't repeat myself. :mad:

SeaSonic works on all boards except DFI's.

DFI works with all PSUs except SeaSonic's.

And we, the users, are stuck in the middle.

Fact is my Seasonic is overall still my best PSU.

The only problem I ever had is that it doesn't work with the DFI. But all factors considered I like it better than my OCZ 520W and my Zalman 400B. And it works fine with all other boards I have and had, including my dual opteron.

As long as DFI actively refuses to name what exactly Seasonic is supposed to do wrong I have no choice but attribute the failure of this combo to the DFI board, and that means publically, on forums when I'm asked.

i think it has to do with the one particular type of dfi board (LP Nf4). i've had no problems with mine on both the rdx200 and nf4 eXpert - they have different layouts and circuits i suppose. But then again, i never tried mine with a LP Nf4 type.. so who knows, maybe mine is just lucky (but i had i long before anyone looked into the incompatibility).

How can you logically blame DFI for a problem caused by Seasonic? You can't!!

This is not a DFI problem and it never has been a DFI problem.

All Seasonic has to do is build a PSU that meets the ATX 12V 2.X spec.

Some manufacturers have no problem building PSUs that work just fine. To blame DFI or try to hold DFI responsible for Seasonic's actions just doesn't make sense.

I guess it never occurred to you that Seasonic might not be all that worried that their product doesn't play nice with DFI?

BTW There are several other motherboards that Seasonic has problems with.

Fact is my Seasonic is overall still my best PSU.

The only problem I ever had is that it doesn't work with the DFI. But all factors considered I like it better than my OCZ 520W and my Zalman 400B. And it works fine with all other boards I have and had, including my dual opteron.

As long as DFI actively refuses to name what exactly Seasonic is supposed to do wrong I have no choice but attribute the failure of this combo to the DFI board, and that means publically, on forums when I'm asked.

But you see, all I see is nebulous hints that Seasonic fails to implement the spec. That has been going on for months.

Which part of the spec do they fail to implement, exactly? Surely that must be known somewhere inside DFI.

What other motherboards fail with Seasonic?