Nf4 Ultra-D power issues with seasonic

Well, I just finished testing my rig, works great, it boots every time.

I will post my board and PSU revision here later.

I had my HD with 2 second delay, my OCZ platium EL rev 2 only runs at 2-3-3-6 at 2.6v thats about its only short fall.

I will OC once I feel my system is "burn-in"

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mikec

Thanks for stopping by and clearing that up. It's always nice to see someone stand behind their work and make sure things are set right.

Good job!

Being the editor of this article, I have to say that this line is misleading should have been rephrased. In fact, I will be replacing it with something like the following:

"The measured data in this article is subject to the accuracy tolerances of the equipment used.

Be assured that if you do have an S12 psu that does not boot our board, Seasonic will take care of you, so please contact them.
Well I would say they will try to take care of you, but may not be able to help (as in my case). After 3 motherboard and 3 Seasonic PSU attempts my system would never boot.

Maybe just luck, but one Enermax was all it took :)

Hi Mike, nice of you to drop by.

It sounds like the high 5VSB draw of the DFI board + and low 5VSB current available on the S12s is the main culprit. Not using any of the MB fan headers could be the simple solution. Or that 5V jumper someone mentioned in detail here.

What is the difference between using the MB fan headers and connecting the fans directly to the PSU?

Also, can any of the MB fan headers control the fan speed?

neither of these is the cause, and neither is the solution.

the replacement S12-600 works just fine, but Seasonic and DFI are still trying to resolve the original issue of the psu not being able to boot the board after the first time (assuming it did boot at least once lol).

Be assured that if you do have an S12 psu that does not boot our board, Seasonic will take care of you, so please contact them.

Was there anything different with the latest powersupply you recieved from Seasonic? For example, did they beef up the +5VSB max current some, or was a normal unit, where nothing changed and it is just the S12's are on the edge of working or not working with the DFI nF4's?

I'm just currious about this issue, since i might someday run into it if i upgrade my MB. Currently, my PSU works with no issues, but that is with a nF3. I plan on going s939 soon, possibly the DFI crossfire boards if they ever come out :P

i have a little 1F 5.5V (yes 1 farad) cap i got out of something a long time ago (i forget what). It's nice and small too, like the size of a 4 US nickels stacked up, unlike my 1F car stereo cap i have from back in the day. But, i don't ahve any issues with my PSU and the nF3 board i have :/

It might be a little overkill too, since it would be a nice load on the PSU or take a while to charge if using a resister in series with it.

i have a little 1F 5.5V (yes 1 farad) cap i got out of something a long time ago (i forget what). It's nice and small too, like the size of a 4 US nickels stacked up, unlike my 1F car stereo cap i have from back in the day. But, i don't ahve any issues with my PSU and the nF3 board i have :/

It might be a little overkill too, since it would be a nice load on the PSU or take a while to charge if using a resister in series with it.

Way too big! Although the +5VSB is always on, it is still usually only 2A's! :sweat:

That was suggested by someone else and I put some thought into it.

It _should_ work BUT...if your psu is hooked to the mobo (in the off state) it is already pulling 5vsb+. If you then hook a cap to it, it may pull too much current (to charge the cap) and trip the psu like many people are having when they turn on their computers.

Solution to this would be to install the cap when the computer is running (slightly dangerous, but there wouldn't be the load on the 5vsb+ line and it would be able to charge the cap).

It's such an easy fix, and very plausible, that it is worth a shot.

Idea!

A good size cap, say 1000uf across the +5VSB!

Would someone like to try this?

It must be KISS!

A 1000uf cap isn't going to pull very much & will charge when the PC is off,

but should still stablize the rail at start up.

If I had a Seasonic S-12 here I would try it.

Also, in another thread (non-Seasonic) reboot problems were solved

when the fan were removed from the mobo fan headers & powered directly from the PSU,

so I believe that is about to become universal advice.

we are still working with Seasonic to resolve this issue.

if you have an S12 psu that has a problem, please contact Seasonic and they will rma the psu for you and return a unit that works on our motherboards. (my S12-600 has been flawless since replacement)