Nf4 Ultra-D power issues with seasonic

@Alexo

Here's the bottom line on the PSU recommendation.

When the nF4 boards first hit the street we quickly determined that as a general rule a 480W power supply with stable rails was necessary. Additionally, the best results were linked to a PSU that follows the strict rules of the ATX 12V 2.X specifications.

It has been proved many times that you can have a lot of trouble getting a stable rig if you don't follow the recommendation.

There are a number of forum members that have gotten a stable rig using a PSU that doesn't meet the recommendation. This is the exception not the norm.

The recommendation is far from meaningless. It has shown its self useful many times over the past 9 months.

The link you included is so full of caveats that it brings it down to the level of noise. The first sentence of the conclusion is priceless... "In terms of absolute numbers, the data in this article is not reliable."

How about this test. Does the rig run stable? Yes or No?

You've been given the advice of hundreds if not thousands of forum members. If you choose not to take the advice it's up to you.

If you are so sure of your opinion I suggest you build several thousand stable rigs with 300W power supplies and put them on display for all to see.

The recommendation is meaningless.

1) It does not take into account the power distribution.

2) It does not take into account sustained vs. peak ratings.

3) It does not take into account the PSU efficiency.

4) It is way too high for most users.

See article.

Basically, DFI covered their collective behinds by choosing a number that should be safe when you select from the crappiest PSUs on the market.

If you disagree, you are welcome to prove me wrong by measuring a higher than 400W draw from a non-SLI system that could use a DFI board (8-way SMP Xeons do not count). Hell, I'd be surprised if you could draw 300W.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree that having an 'A' list is a good idea, HOWEVER...

When such a thing is not posted on the outside of the box, how is one that does not visit this forum know that there are PSU's out there that do not work properly with this mobo? I can understand the wattage issue, but specific _good_ brands like Seasonic? I would have definitely bought (or thought about buying) a different psu had I known about compatibility problems with seasonic and this board.

I know you guys (both DFI and Seasonic) are working on this issue and trying to solve it, but what does that mean for us people in this situation NOW? For me atleast, I can do nothing because it has been too long since I bought this PSU and I can no longer return it. I _could_ buy a new psu (with the money I dont have---poor college student), but this should not be a solution to the problem, especially when the problem was not caused by me! If Seasoft or DFI wants to buy me a new PSU for this problem, I'll gladly take it, but for some reason I seriously doubt that happening.

Luckily my problem is relatively small. I can't use WOL and when I use WOK I have to press a key twice to start my computer. I feel sorry for the people that have spent countless hours trying to get their computer to boot the first time to find out in the end that it was a problem with their PSU choice.

Patiently awating a solution to the problem

--Richard

I feel very sorry for everyone affected by these problems, too.

It is of course impossible to put this on the mobo boxes,

as updating them in real time would be difficult.

The Seasonic S-12's came out after the first DFI N4's,

so no one knew about this issue until recently.

Hopefully most people thinking of buying any mobo, PSU, etc.,

will research it on the web prior to their purchase.

Dave

Tomorrow, I will be disassembeling my rig and testing my hardware for max overclock. Durring that time, I will be using my digital multimeter and ocilloscope to try and isolate the problem seasonic has with the DFI boards. Ideally, the power supply is at fault though overcurrent protection, I.E drawing 3A from +5VSB for whatever reason.

Tomorrow will come the detailed parts list, voltage readings from where ever they need to be taken from, and ocilloscope traces durring boot for current/voltage flucuations.

Probably due to manufacturing problems. It could be due to different production lines or component sources.

Antec was hit by a change in source for PSU capacitors that brought about the True Blue 480 debacle.

My question would be, why do some S12's work without a problem while others don't. I'd expect a clear cut experience either way, but the mixed result confuses me.

My question would be, why do some S12's work without a problem while others don't. I'd expect a clear cut experience either way, but the mixed result confuses me.
Generally speaking the more powerful a PSU is, the more finicky it can be.

So an "under-powered" S-12 430W may work well (given low power demands) & a S-12 600W may not.

I still believe the problem is the +5VSB, I believe that more +5VSB current is the answer.

Hopefully we shall soon know. :nod:

Well if the 5vsb rail is the main culprit in question, could someone try and power the 5vsb rail using a different PSU than Sveasoft's? As in, take the 5vsb wire out of the 24 pin on the Sveasoft, and replace it with a different PSU's 5vsb (you would also have to add one of the grounds from this additional psu to one of the grounds on the Sveasoft PSU). You wouldn't even need to 'trick' this extra psu to turn on because we are testing the 5vsb line (which is when the psu is NOT on) so just plugging the extra psu in the wall and then turning on the mobo should give us an answer.

I'm not sure if this could even be done, but its an idea.

Did you get them yet? My s12-600 was working fine then it gradually started to get the symptoms that everyone else has ex: push the power button twice to turn it on, amber light next to dram, amber led next to the last pci slot flashes when ac is turned on, now it wont even boot. I just got this Psu should I RMA it or hold out to see if there is a solution?

Jackson

Yesterday I started building my system (specs in sig) using a brand new Seasonic S12 500W. While installing some MS updates and other software that required rebooting, my system started exhibiting the same symptoms as others here have reported.

I remembered seeing Angry Games mention that he recommends setting the hard drive delay to 2 seconds and I decided to try that. Set the delay in bios and then proceeded to install several more programs that required a reboot. It has restarted properly since then. May not solve the problem for everyone, but so far it has worked for me.

Yesterday I started building my system (specs in sig) using a brand new Seasonic S12 500W. While installing some MS updates and other software that required rebooting, my system started exhibiting the same symptoms as others here have reported.

I remembered seeing Angry Games mention that he recommends setting the hard drive delay to 2 seconds and I decided to try that. Set the delay in bios and then proceeded to install several more programs that required a reboot. It has restarted properly since then. May not solve the problem for everyone, but so far it has worked for me.

GREAT INPUT !

THANK YOU!

This is the kind of input we need to resolve this & many other PSU, RAM, etc issues! :nod: