Nf4 Ultra-D power issues with seasonic

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have an S12 psu that has a problem, please contact Seasonic and they will rma the psu for you and return a unit that works on our motherboards. (my S12-600 has been flawless since replacement)

any ideas if this applies to us Brits? :angel:

This is just a WAG but consolidating the power delivery to a single connector saves money in the long run.

If you look at the DFI nF4 boards they used a 24pin ATX, 4pin CPU, 4pin Molex and Floppy power connector.

Now you would be down to a 24pin ATX and 8pin power connector. You just halved your production and parts required.

Additionally, you can get a cleaner setup with only two power connections to the motherboard.

What benefits does an 8 pin connector have over a 4 pin one anyway?

I have the same issue that the original posts on page one of this thread describe now that I have my 3800+ in the DFI board. I have a Super Silencer 460W. I don't remember exactly but I think I tried the 3200+ in the DFI with the Seasonic and it worked. I tried with no harddrives or optical drives, so the startup delay won't solve it. I'll try fiddling with the fans and the 5V RAM jumper (don't use it right now) when I have a chance.

Is there a specific person at Seasonic that I should contact? Any email or phone for this issue in particular?

I am a bit surprised about all this, as the same PSU powers my dual Opteron with 4 GB of ECC reg and a gazillion of fans on the MB headers just fine. Why would the DFI draw more power? With the DFI it doesn't reliably start with stock settings for everything (no overclocking) and my powermeter says the 3800+ draws a lot less than the Opterons.

I dunno, it seems that all these boot problems all have one thing in common, DFI nF4. It shouldn't be too hard for a engineer at DFI to grab the schematic of the board, see what is powered off +5VSB, and take some current measurements of the circuits powered off +5VSB during bootup. That is how to find the root cause, if it is in fact related to +5VSB. Just trying different powersupplies solves nothing, since you are just avoiding the problem. I'm kinda skeptic of the forthcoming result of DFI and Seasonic working together on the issue, if we ever get a techical reason at all... other then they don't play nice together.

PS, i hope i'm not coming off asa negative forum troll, i'm just curious on the techincal side of things. i'd like to know the real issues about the products i own, or might someday own :P

I have the Seasonic S12 600watt PSU right now, its the A2 revision. I am thinking about getting a DFI motherboard, so I have two questions.

First, as I understand it the A1 or first revision is more likely to have this problem. Is that correct?

Second, does this problem affect the SLI-D board in the same manner as the Ultra-D? I would assume not since it seems everyone is only having this problem with the Ultra.

Please let me know. I don't really want to have more problems, I'd actually be switching to a DFI board to alleviate problems I already have, and don't necessarily want to replace the problems I have with different ones.