Nf4 Ultra-D power issues with seasonic

Yesterday I started building my system (specs in sig) using a brand new Seasonic S12 500W. While installing some MS updates and other software that required rebooting, my system started exhibiting the same symptoms as others here have reported.

I remembered seeing Angry Games mention that he recommends setting the hard drive delay to 2 seconds and I decided to try that. Set the delay in bios and then proceeded to install several more programs that required a reboot. It has restarted properly since then. May not solve the problem for everyone, but so far it has worked for me.

Thanks I will give it a try and let you know if it works.

Jackson

Edit: Ok my comp got to the point that it would not post at all but then I let it sit for about a 1/2 hour with the ac off then it turned on(by pushing the power button twice). I made the adjustments like corgi1 recomended and shut it down. I then tried to turn it on and it powered up on the second try, not the first. would that indacate the problem is still exists? I am scared to turn it off again. Now does delaying the HD 2 seconds take effect during boot? How will that help if it wont even post? I am a noob so correct me if I am wrong but this does not seem like it would help me. Thanks tho.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By adding the delay for the hard drive(s) you are postponing the current drain of the drive(s). Just a few seconds may be all the rig needs to allow the rails to stabilize or keep them from dropping below spec.

Thanks I will give it a try and let you know if it works.

Jackson

Edit: Ok my comp got to the point that it would not post at all but then I let it sit for about a 1/2 hour with the ac off then it turned on(by pushing the power button twice). I made the adjustments like corgi1 recomended and shut it down. I then tried to turn it on and it powered up on the second try, not the first. would that indacate the problem is still exists? I am scared to turn it off again. Now does delaying the HD 2 seconds take effect during boot? How will that help if it wont even post? I am a noob so correct me if I am wrong but this does not seem like it would help me. Thanks tho.

By adding the delay for the hard drive(s) you are postponing the current drain of the drive(s). Just a few seconds may be all the rig needs to allow the rails to stabilize or keep them from dropping below spec.

Yes I urderstand but does the delay take place when you first hit the power swtich or latter in the boot sequence? If it takes place later then how will that help when getting it to boot (instant you hit the power button) is the issue?

Rember I am a noob so if I sound like a dumb a** let me know.

Jackson

Tomorrow, I will be disassembeling my rig and testing my hardware for max overclock. Durring that time, I will be using my digital multimeter and ocilloscope to try and isolate the problem seasonic has with the DFI boards. Ideally, the power supply is at fault though overcurrent protection, I.E drawing 3A from +5VSB for whatever reason.

Tomorrow will come the detailed parts list, voltage readings from where ever they need to be taken from, and ocilloscope traces durring boot for current/voltage flucuations.

Anything to report?

I made the assumption that the BIOS delay will keep the drives from spinning.

Adding the delay keeps the BIOS from trying to access the drives for the set time period. This allows the PSU to keep from having to deliver a large current load at one time.

It also gives the drive a chance to settle down before having to do their job.

This feature is most often used on massive drive arrays. It keeps the drives from all trying to spin up at once placing a huge current drain on the PSU.

Yes I urderstand but does the delay take place when you first hit the power swtich or latter in the boot sequence? If it takes place later then how will that help when getting it to boot (instant you hit the power button) is the issue?

Rember I am a noob so if I sound like a dumb a** let me know.

Jackson

Tomorrow, I will be disassembeling my rig and testing my hardware for max overclock. Durring that time, I will be using my digital multimeter and ocilloscope to try and isolate the problem seasonic has with the DFI boards. Ideally, the power supply is at fault though overcurrent protection, I.E drawing 3A from +5VSB for whatever reason.

Tomorrow will come the detailed parts list, voltage readings from where ever they need to be taken from, and ocilloscope traces durring boot for current/voltage flucuations.

Bump for any results?

How do you add the bios delay for the hard drives. I can't seem to locate the setting in the bios, maybe I am just overlooking it.

Go to "Advanced Bios Features" menu

Scroll down to the end

2nd from the bottom: "Delay for HDD (Secs)"

Bump for any results?

This is turning out to be a huge pain in my butt. I can't get the board to NOT work. Perhaps I'm just absurdly lucky?

I'm going to do a total teardown and rebuild once I get my wire-gami kit finished.

Does anyone know where I can get a circuit topology for the motherboard? Doing traces by hand is a MAJOR pain in the butt.