X2 dual core cpu's + dual Prime95 for stability testing (fixed)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another option is get SP2004, Stress Prime 2004. http://sp2004.fre3.com

Basicaly its the Prime stress module by it self. And there you can simply specify wich core you want.

Just uncheck the No Affinity box and there you go. A worth update to Prime Torture test. As basicaly its is just that. Just different shell. Easier to setup.

Enjoy.

Well I did dl this program. And unchecked the affinity box, whatever affinity suppose to mean. Will this program test both cores for my stock opty175? I'm running it right now and will let it run untill i get an error.

i did this on my single core 4000+ so i can't show you the task manager running both cores @ 100%...but it works lol. I've used this method since i got my first Pentium4 with Hyperthreading.

if you can get BOTH cores to run @ 8h without failing, then it is OC Database worthy (or just stable as hell if you are not overclocking!)

in my X2 overclock database entry, I could get 2750Mhz to run easily (250x11).

but

one core would fail within 23 minutes (the longest i could get it to run). the second core would run for 16+ hours.

backed down to 2650Mhz, and both cores would run for 12+ hours each...so i considered 2650Mhz my max stable clock on the cpu because if one core fails and the other goes and goes and goes...well thats not really stable right? ;)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...497&postcount=9

[bimg]http://www.angrygames.com/ocdb/angry/x2_2640/x2_2640-1.jpg[/bimg]

So since I have a 2gig memory I would run both instances for memory use at 800mb???? And for the affinity set up I would set one of the instances "spicific cpu to run on: 1" and the second one at 0? I just want to make sure this is correct. And What happens if one fails? Do I let the other one still run for the next 24 hrs or so that is I don't any error's?

And What happens if one fails? Do I let the other one still run for the next 24 hrs or so that is I don't any error's?

Angry_Games wrote

so i considered 2650Mhz my max stable clock on the cpu because if one core fails and the other goes and goes and goes...well thats not really stable right? ;)

Not sure if that's a wink, wink, nudge nudge, but that what it seems A_G is saying. If one core fails, then no real point in continuing the test, other than for reasons of curiosity.

RLM

Nice test , at first i thought it was the ram stopping me from overclocking

but after priming as with the instructions here i found out that my core 1

could happly go at 2.8GHZ but core 0 would crash out in prime within 20mins

at 2.65 ghz or higher.. But stable with both cores at 2.61 damn :sad: :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Still no answer what is the proper settings when running 2 instances of prime and using 2GB memory. I set to 800MB, and prime still using PF, shows like 1.36Gb. HOw to fix this, how to tell prime not to use PF. Thanks

Still no answer what is the proper settings when running 2 instances of prime and using 2GB memory. I set to 800MB, and prime still using PF, shows like 1.36Gb. HOw to fix this, how to tell prime not to use PF. Thanks

I use custom torture test and set it to 800mb per prime95. ends up u sing just over 1.6gb of 2.0gb ram and I don't page at all.

• 1 month later...
Guest burningrave101
I tried that also, from the moment I Run dual prime, PF immeditely jumps to 1.6Gb. How to fix this? I putted as said 700MB per prime

You can't fix this because that is what its suppost to be doing. PF usage in Task Manager is how much of the page file thats being allocated in case the RAM has to release all that data.

you have to separate the terms "virtual memory" and "pagefile".

"virtual memory" cannot be turned off. virtual memory is (in part) the movement of unused segments (pages) of memory, the destination of that paged memory *can* (but is not always) a "pagefile" on a hard drive; it can also be paged to *physical ram* that has been allocated by windows to store paged memory. this allocation (and release) of physical ram and the movement of pages is all done automatically by windows. *physical ram* is used first to store paged memory, and the pagefile on the hard drive does *not* get used unless windows is low on physical ram. disk space used by a "pagefile" can be set to zero. even if you set that disk space to zero for all partitions, "virtual memory" is still on and windows can still allocate *physical ram* to hold paged memory segments.

"PF Usage" <> "HD space used by pagefile"

"PF Usage" in task manager is not an accurate representation of physical disk space used by a "pagefile". it is a measure of paged memory, either used or potentially used (see below snippets from aumha.org). use of a "pagefile" on the hard drive doesn't happen unless windows runs low on *physical ram* (see "Physical Memory:Available" in task manager) and has to resort to disk storage of paged memory segments.

this is easily confirmed by using "WinXP-2K_Pagefile" a simple vbs script that reports actual disk space used by the "pagefile". it is available at

http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks

just unzip the archive and run the vbs. if you get a blank dialog with 'ok', then there is no disk space being used; otherwise you'll get a report identifying the file being used, the current disk space used, and the maximum used so far during the current session.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21607758.html

For testing RAM alone i would recommend Windows Memtest and setting it up two iterations with 800MB+ RAM if you have 2 gigs. Windows Memtest is the most efficient memory test i have found. If you can pass over 1,000-2,000% then your RAM should be in good shape.