X2 dual core cpu's + dual Prime95 for stability testing (fixed)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JazzMang: I believe you :)

As it kept crashing at random points i ran both prime95 instances with minimum FFT sizes in place (i.e. fits mostly into cache and little memory used)...

and guess what? 3+ hours of continual priming so far without either prime95 crashing.

So im figuring i still have to work on my memory timings/voltages.

Someone suggested i run my corsair XMS3200 LL (2-2-2-6) ram at 2.85v... seems a tad high for my liking?

Can somone try running SP2004 and running the Blend test and start both at exactly the same time. Has anyone else noticed this can cause an error even at stock speeds(and lower)? Right at 6 seconds whatever one was started 2nd will fail.

Yes, happened to me, installed in different folders. any solution?

Must say I don't like the idea of phantom errors!

I think I might just live with Prime 95....

• 4 weeks later...

hey awsome guide was looking around for something like this i knew it was here a while back but took me a bit to find it still. this should be added to one of the stickies :) anyway just got my x2 3800 today started it running on 250X10 earlier at 2.5 4 4 8 and everyting else on auto but the second prime errored out after 3 mins. changed it to 250X9 and so far so good for around 2 hours now. are there any specific settings that are critical to the x2? the exact setup running with on my 3500 venice at 260X11 okey so i dont think its my ram. i hope im not one of the un lucky one whos x2 wont go past 2.5 :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, one question...when i am running prime, only one, why is my cpu use 100%?

Should i still run two primes at the same time?

And second question...should i shut down all the other programs like virusprotection when running prime?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
since this has been asked a zillion times to me, I thought I'd make a short easy little guide for those of you running dual core X2's and Pentium4's with two logical cores.

install prime95

then right click the exe and send a shortcut to your desktop. rename this Prime95-1. Right click the shortcut and put a space after the last character in the Target box, and then -A0 (thats an A and a zero)

then right click the original exe for prime and send another shortcut to the desktop. Rename this Prime95-2. Right click on this shortcut, and at the end of the target line, put a space and -A1.

so it should look like this:

dual-prime.jpg

double click each shortcut and you should get both prime95 boxes up.

Next you have to go to Advanced - Affinity. This tells Prime to only use 1 instance per specific cpu!

(thx for all of you that found my error in the original!)

dagf_x2-4a.jpg

dagf_x2-4b.jpg

Now go to Options - Torture Test...then down to Custom. You will see in the circled box how much memory Prime95 wants to use (this rig has 1GB of memory).

dagf_x2-4c.jpg

what you have to do is remember that you have TWO instances of this running, so divide this number in half. I always like to give a little leeway, so half of 927MB is 414...so I only use 400MB per cpu (this assures that the system wont over-use the physical RAM and end up accessing the pagefile...keep in mind both cores @ 400MB of memory each is VERY stressful!!!)

dagf_x2-4d.jpg

open your Task Manager (crtl+alt+del) and you'll see two physical cores in the cpu box...click OK on one of the primes, and you will see 1 core go up to 100% use.

click OK on the second prime and you will see the second core go up to 100% use.

dagf_x2-4e.jpg

Could this damage your system running prime95? I'm a newbie and I would like to know if my system is stable or not, but I dont wnat to take any chances of damaging my system. Plus it's new and I just got it.