NF3 Ultra-D 939/AGP

If speculation begins to run rampant> we will have to close the thread for a while since speculation does nothing but up the bill for the website with useless posting.

NOW that done and said. I am this minute trying a beta bios for the last 8 hours on the NF3 Ultra-D 939 AGP and it is NOT ready for release by no means. Am in contact, as is AG, with those that can translate our findings into Mandarin Chinese as I type this.

RGone... :cool:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......Please let's not start a whole series of speculation posts...........I beg you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new BIOS will be out 'Tuesday'

AG will confirm that :shake:

OldGuy - Thanks, I didn't even check that Hammer FID because I had never even heard of that term before so I didn't know that that was the CPU multi option lol....crazy....downloading acrobat reader now as I forgot I hadn't installed it.

Also on my DFI box....as I don't know why but with anything new I like to read every little detail on the boxes even if I know what it consists....but anywho I noticed it says in the genie bios outlining section on the back

"Ultra fine tune for CPU clcok/multiplier/voltage"

We all know things with mistakes become collectors items :P

EDIT:

Silver Fox - (pretty sure it was you) Setting my Twr to 2 didn't help in windows liking 1T timing...same thing happens, gets to the Windows blue 'WELCOME' screen then BSOD's =/

I'm pretty much giving up on 1T until a new BIOS arrives, but that's aright...I'm at 2.5GHz for now 250x10 1:1 which is decent enough to suffice over stock until a BIOS comes and this CPU is burned in a little more anyway

The new BIOS will be out 'Tuesday'

AG will confirm that :shake:

OldGuy - Thanks, I didn't even check that Hammer FID because I had never even heard of that term before so I didn't know that that was the CPU multi option lol....crazy....downloading acrobat reader now as I forgot I hadn't installed it.

Also on my DFI box....as I don't know why but with anything new I like to read every little detail on the boxes even if I know what it consists....but anywho I noticed it says in the genie bios outlining section on the back

"Ultra fine tune for CPU clcok/multiplier/voltage"

We all know things with mistakes become collectors items :P

Yuppers!!!! ding ding ding !!!Let's tell the young man what he's won for finding the super secret collectible box..........Oh never mind. Yeah I got a chuckle out of that when I saw it the other day. Sorry bro but mine has the misprint as well so I don't think our boxes will have any value down the road ;)

Sorry bro but mine has the misprint as well so I don't think our boxes will have any value down the road
nah you misunderstand me, I wasn't claiming mine to be the only one...it's an exclamation for all the 'beta' testers out there....we all got the uber special collectors item box :P

Did yours have the pot of leprechauns gold in it? Mine did :D

sorry, didn't know you're all so tense. Didn't want to upset anyone, reading your posts and the large disturbing capital letters I get the message. I won't say anything about bios-releases anymore.

I just don't really understand the fuzz about it, it was an answer from DFI on the question when a new bios will be released.

Give me some credit please I was the first person to have mine hands on a NFII ultra rev. B posted about it and was very enthusiastic about it, AG can confirm this if he remembers.

well back up and running... at stock speeds.

unfortunately, it only likes 2t on my mushkin pc3500 LVLII, but i get futher than the welcome screen... probably since i have it turned off :shake: sat on the desktop just fine but as soon as i fired up 2k1se, bsod.

other than that its been smooth running so far.. os install hung w/ 1t, dont know why i even tried it.

other than that, it went fine. think im going to hold off on playing till a new bios comes out, especially since im on the stock amd hs.. time to order a xp-120 tomorrow. plus i want to play bf2 :D

with the amount of posts on this one its hard backtracked a few pages but didnt see it mentioned yet

for those who still want to buy the board and havent the egg now has em

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136161

and theres a mention of a possible new bios soon, but Rgone says its not ready yet so once they have determined it is, its all good, just another option for purchase folks, personally they are the only online site I trust so I was kinda waiting for a new bios and the egg before I made my decision

I just don't really understand the fuzz about it, it was an answer from DFI on the question when a new bios will be released
If there was a new BIOS you'd be hearing a lot of buzz about it....using the search function would aid in that process.......they are simply stopping a land slide before it happens because before long people will make multiple pages of WHENS THE NEW BIOS OUT!? IS IT OUT YET!?! I HEAR IT"S OUT TOMORROW!?! blah blah blah

Jeremy - I was going to wait for newegg too, but I got good recommendations from not online people online but a friend of mine in town who has ordered tons from mwave who I think was one of the first here in the US that I know of to get the board so I ordered it from them..

It's been a pretty damn good board honestly considering it was just released and the BIOS is a bit buggy.

250x10 with 1.55 + .3

1:1 PDP Sys PC3200 2.5-3-3-7-2T 2.9b

I think I'll be sticking here until the new BIOS comes in at which time my CPU will have had ample time to burn in.

hey nubius, at that speed it should be speedy enough for whatever programs you launch on it, once its tweaked out to perfection then go for the ultimate but for now looking good dude, small increments is probably the best approach

good luck once a newer bios arrives

depending if i can swing it or not im either getting this board and a 3200 venice or trying to find a secondhand nf2 lpb so maybe either hopefully this weekend

bork is cool man, don't hassle him :tooth:

we all get a bit wild and RG and I are waiting on bios patiently. This is why I made such a big deal about 'why don't you just hold off and wait a bit and continue using the rig you are on now until we get a good handle on these boards and then getting all set up at stock to begin racing will be a cinch instead of fighting with them like we do for 2 or more weeks figuring them out' ?

it took us about 4-6 weeks to really get a handle on the NF4 boards. It took about 6-8 weeks on the original NF3 754 simply because of a move to an entirely new cpu platform (AthlonXP to Athlon64 was a pretty significant change with the integrated memory controller).

It takes anyone that takes their time and really learns all about the thing about 3-6 weeks to really 'know their board' and/or what their board + their hardware will do together. 1 week is not even enough time for me to have a clue about it other than it needs a bios update to correct some initial things before we can even get around to learning what the board can do.

"Got to have it now!" combined with "Brand new board!" = usually not the greatest results.

Not sure if this affects this motherboard:

There's a bug in the current revisions of X2 CPUs wherein either

the thermal safety throttling may be unexpectedly forced off, or wherein

its use could cause the CPU core voltage to spike, possibly frying the CPU.

If the thermal throttling is forced off e.g. in the BIOS as is suggested

as a "work-around" for this bug, it's possible that some BIOSs would permit

the CPU to continue to run continually even if it has reached temperatures

beyond which the CPU could be damaged; normally thermal

STPCLK speed throttling would reduce the CPU clock to prevent this

damage from being so likely.

If thermal throttling is NOT disabled as AMD suggests the BIOS does, *OR*

if user selected ACPI ower saving / utility functions triggers STPCLK

mode while the CPU clock is running at normal speeds, the voltage spikes

caused by the instantaneous 100 Watt <--> 0 Watt Vcore load change could

cause the system to spike or undervolt Vcore leading to either a crash

or very possibly a fried CPU!

Everyone should confirm with their BIOS vendor and settings for their

ACPI / thermal monitoring options in the BIOS that they're running the core

at safe temperatures and in a way that will not trigger STPCLK throttling /

power saving!

Here's the info from AMD:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/con..._docs/25759.pdf

Revision Guide for AMD Athlon™ 64 and AMD Opteron™ Processors 25759 3.51 06/16/05

124 STPCLK Throttling Causes Violation of VDD_ac Specification

on Some Dual-Core Processors

Description

STPCLK throttling during maximum power consumption operation generates large load steps and voltage transients that can violate the transient

voltage specification (VDD_ac). This problem is exposed on 4-layer

motherboards with single power and ground planes when the

core frequency is >2000 MHz.

Potential Effect on System

Violation of the VDD_ac specification leading to unpredictable operation.

Suggested Workaround

Do not enable STPCLK throttling on affected dual-core processors above 2000 MHz.

Description

This problem is exposed on 4-layer

motherboards with single power and ground planes when the

core frequency is >2000 MHz.

Potential Effect on System

Violation of the VDD_ac specification leading to unpredictable operation.

Suggested Workaround

Do not enable STPCLK throttling on affected dual-core processors above 2000 MHz.

now who knows if the nf3 ultra-d is a 4 or 6 layer board? not that im running an X2 but...

and does the same issue occur on 6 layer pcb's????