• Cooler Master
    • Lian Li
    • Antec

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kronos

I think the storal of the mory is that everyone is going to have theirs opinions on what the best case is. It will be up to you to make the final choice.

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case:

Took those ridiculous green pci-card "snap" retainers out of the case first day. The black "orange-peel" paint job is pathetic. The razor-blade thin case sides are a joke. The highly-touted "mirror" finish is nothing but a poly clear coat that only somewhat fills-in the orange-peel black paint. The power supply bracket/rail assembly is skewed so that my supply would not fit squarely within it, without bending/relocating both the "L" bracket, and the rail running from the rear of the case to the front.

The only redeeming quality this pile-of-junk case has is the heavy front aluminum panel.

I expect ANY case I pay a century bill or more for to be a work-of-art; not something I have to leave at the curb for the trash gurus to dispatch.

If anyone wants to know how I really feel about this case, PM me. ;-}

Charles

My personal choice of case have always been chieftec or coolermaster.

I did a build for my brother and used an enermax case, and that was not a bad case.

I also did a build for my son and after careful thought, it was between the antec lanboy, or the P160 w/window.....i went with the P160....very nice case!

hehe conflict of interest here, everyone has there likes and dislikes. one persons crap is another persons treasure as they say (or something like that).

as i made this thread to each there own and by all means say your likes and dislikes. that's why we all are free thinking and can make our own choices, not all cases are perfect for everyone. hopefully though this thread will help people in the market for a new one..

keep up the good work guys, love the feedback to each case and this thread.

Guest Blooz1

Hmmm - I went a completely different route than most of you guys!

I like the Compucase LX-6A19 (aka the D8000, SC-135/165 at other sites), which is the basic chassis used by Antec on the SLK-3700 and BQE with minor changes. This is a heavy steel mid-tower case with a ton of room and great cooling.

The standard fan layout has a 120MM intake and 120MM exhaust. I have one case modded with an 80MM side intake, and another case which has a 120MM side intake. There are two removable drive racks, and the HD rack has rubber grommets and special screws to cut down on vibration and noise. It's located directly behind the intake fan, so drives are nice and cool. There's also an integrated filter on the front intake.

You can get a bare case w/o PSU for only $40 at Directron. My second one I got from MNPCTech.com, and was considerably more, but it's had a lot of performance mods done to it.

They don't look fancy, kinda plain, but they work extremely well and will last through many different builds!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Supermicro 750 for a long time now. Many many years. Its had a lot of different innards but I feel no urge to replace it. Finally replaced its 420W supply - which was pretty good at the time. It has been copied many times by many different manufacturers but its still as good as most around. The quality of the build, the size of the beast and the complete absence of sharp edges makes working in it a pleasure.

There's no doubt that buying the best case you can afford leads to savings in the long term.

After much delibration and thought, I very recently opted for the Thermaltake Kandalf. It is large, is it steel, it has a side window, fans all around, and finally, space for those 4 pesky SATA drives I'll be installing soon.

Also, it is bulky... and not too much of a flat surface on the top. Should I have to buy a full tower case again, I would do another Kandalf or Armor.