DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

Sorry for the n00b question (first time builder), but I was wondering if I could get away with something like http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16817153023 as the PSU for the setup you see below. I realize this is a little on the low side, but the price is right (though I know the PSU is not a place to cut corners!). Would it be better to spend the extra money for something like an Antec SmartPower 500W or something along those lines? Of course, I'm not planning to run SLI, Crossfire or anything like that; I'd just like to get some moderately good overclocking out of the Conroe and the RAM.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the n00b question (first time builder), but I was wondering if I could get away with something like http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16817153023 as the PSU for the setup you see below. I realize this is a little on the low side, but the price is right (though I know the PSU is not a place to cut corners!). Would it be better to spend the extra money for something like an Antec SmartPower 500W or something along those lines? Of course, I'm not planning to run SLI, Crossfire or anything like that; I'd just like to get some moderately good overclocking out of the Conroe and the RAM.

Ouch. No. Absolutely not. When I first bought my rig I bought a Thermaltake 600W and everyone told me to send it back, so I can only imagine. Yours isn't even the minimum 480W. There are some budget PSUs on the reccomended list, check them out.

And welcome to the street :D

Ouch. No. Absolutely not. When I first bought my rig I bought a Thermaltake 600W and everyone told me to send it back, so I can only imagine. Yours isn't even the minimum 480W. There are some budget PSUs on the reccomended list, check them out.

And welcome to the street :D

Thanks for the quick reply! I'd like to get away with the Xclio Goodpower 500W since it's such a great deal on Newegg ($50), but if that's not quite enough either, the Fortron FSP550-60PLN 550W looks like a good buy too at $95.

I know that overclocking demands a lot out of a PSU, but I guess I don't know how much to anticipate considering I'm running only 1 GPU with a Conroe processor and not a lot of other goodies. I may add a second SATA HDD and perhaps a 2nd optical drive, but I can't see adding much else.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'd like to get away with the Xclio Goodpower 500W since it's such a great deal on Newegg ($50), but if that's not quite enough either, the Fortron FSP550-60PLN 550W looks like a good buy too at $95.

I know that overclocking demands a lot out of a PSU, but I guess I don't know how much to anticipate considering I'm running only 1 GPU with a Conroe processor and not a lot of other goodies. I may add a second SATA HDD and perhaps a 2nd optical drive, but I can't see adding much else.

Personally, I'd just stick to the reccomended list. I'm not familiar with other DFI boards, but I know my LanParty needs good power, OC or not. You might be alright with a PSU not on the list, but I wouldn't take the chance. Last I checked there were PSUs on the list for like 40 bucks.

Personally, I'd just stick to the reccomended list. I'm not familiar with other DFI boards, but I know my LanParty needs good power, OC or not. You might be alright with a PSU not on the list, but I wouldn't take the chance. Last I checked there were PSUs on the list for like 40 bucks.

Yeah, I found the Xclio and the Fortron on the recommended list; unfortuantely prices seem to have gone up (at least on Newegg) from the estimates on the list. :sad:

I guess my standing question remains to those who have experience with the Infinity 975X board if this should be sufficient.

In a tad of an dilema. Liberty 500w was my top choice, not too many choices for me, but it seems that DFI has issues with this psu. I personally thought it was just the 939 matx boards but seems it might not be. I'm not sure becasue I did search liberty 500 and not too many things appeared but the 620w is accepted...

Case is a Qpack for now but will get microfly.

XClio Goodpower tou loud

Antec modular 500w is whisper quiet but does tend to get hot.

Xfinity is fine but those stupid cables are too long and too many.

Choices:

Enermax Liberty 500w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817194003

SILVERSTONE SST-ST50EF ATX12V 500W (Cords seem a bit long)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256001

X-Clio Greatpower seems pretty decent too. 80% efficiency.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817189006

Corsair 520w lil pricey and it seems that it's a tad loud... :(

Guest Halvis

http://www.seasonic.com/co/index.jsp makes good quiet psu. But they are pricey. QWITCHERWHINING and get a psu off of the recommended list, or take your chances. (and when you come back saying your getting the BSOD, don't be suprised when we point you to the RECOMMENDED POWER SUPPLY thread)

was that too mean?

I saw some forums with the DFI ATI socket 939 ppl had issues.

I didn't see the Liberty 500w on the list saw I was a bit concerned on not getting it.

Thanks david.

BTW the X-Clio is the Greatpower, not goodpower, 550w. It has 18a on each twelve and 16a on another. If I'm not mistaken it has a decent amount of watts on those lines... but you would know more. :)

Halvis:

I know seasonics make good psu that is why I put one up. However I read a review that stated that the Corsair 520w got loud after certain amount of load. I want a quiet PC. I know the higher watt one is quiet but for some reason the little brother is noisier. The review was from jonny guru, a guy that is very trusted.

It's also to fit in a microfly or qpack and I need high efficiency, hence my first pick the Enermax Liberty.