DFI Recommended Power Supplies (UPDATED October 20th, 2006!)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the money there aren't any better power supplies out there than the following;

FSP FX600W

FSP FX700W

OCZ GameXSteam 600W

OCZ GameXStream 700W

I agree, those are EXCELLENT PSU's! :)
Oww,,,,twist my arm.

O.K. I'll buy one. :)

Excellent Decision! :D

Well, I ordered a OCZ GameXtream 700watt today.

I hope they like lots of power because down here in Australia, the entire country is wired up with a 240volt grid. (You do NOT want to stick a fork in a toaster down here :eek: )

I guess I will find out how well the voltage autoswitch works when it arrives.

Seriously though, a few of them have been tested in these parts and they seem to like things just fine. Wish me luck.

No, it isn't impossible. This is a reply I recieved from an OCZ Tech:

Tim,

The PowerStream originally shipped with an adaptor for the 24 to 20 Pin

converter and we later switched over to a modular design where the

additional four pins could slide on and off the end of the 20-Pin

connection. If the additional connector you speak of says +P4 it is not to

be used in conjunction with your 20-Pin ATX connector, but it is rather to

be added with the other 4-Pin 12V connector in the event you use the system

with a system that requires an 8-Pin connector.

Can you take a picture of your PowerStream so I can see what generation it

is? With this picture I will be able to give you a better idea of how you

can get it to work with a 24-Pin motherboard. Running the 24-Pin connector

will provide additional power and aid in stability.

Sean Kumar Sinha

Senior Technical Support Representative

Seeing as my OCZ 520watt Powerstream does have the two +P4 connectors and it did come with a 20 to 24-pin adapter, it seems I was one of the first ones on the boat to purchase these PSU's when they were released. I purchased this one in March of 2005. And I paid a premium for it also, $140. This was before the 600watt Powerstream made its' debut.

I have responded to OCZ and asked if they could help me out of this predicament by allowing me to trade up to one of the newer ones. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that I get an email back asking for my mailing addy to do just that. Although I have never had to deal with OCZ's Customer Service as of yet, I have read some great things in the way they have handled and treated some of their customers.

As far as the sig goes lowboy, I have completed my signature yet I don't know how long it will take to show up. But the BIG BOLD RED LETTERS advising me about my sig pisses me off. For a first time DFI customer and a first time poster on these boards, I have gotten the impression that I am unwelcomed & unwanted here. I may be a stranger here, but I can guarantee if you were to make a first post on the boards I moderate, all five of them, you would never be singled out made to feel this way. (I think you can pretty much tell what I am thinking for the next line) There were other ways to advise me about my sig. And at the time of my original post, I was just in a quandry on how to proceed and pushed for time due to family issues. I had every intention of getting my sig straightened out later on that day or today.

For the rest of you that attempted to help, thanks so much. I think we all learned something today. That there are some of the older early releases of the OCZ 520watt Powerstream that only came out with a 20 to 24-pin adapter and do not sport the 20+4-pin connector. Hopefully, this will help the next person posting with an older OCZ 520watt Powerstream in the same dilema I find myself in. If OCZ decides to help a m8 out, I will definately post back and let you guys know. It will be just one more reason to make OCZ the PSU of your personal choice. Thanks again!

Now it is my fault you can not read the rules as you agreed to and broke. I should have deleted your post banned you right then for 7days and did not just put the reminder in there for you to abide by the rules. The forum rules are to be followed here. As you saw fit to post your comments instead of PM I replyed the same way. You are not a special snowflake here so follow the rules as all members do. As the rules are posted very clearly in big red bold print that you agreed to before posting.

THIS IS STRAIGHT FROM THE RULES:

4A. Signatures - Updated 8/6/2005

As of today, August 6th, 2005, EVERYONE that signs up at this forum and posts here MUST put together a signature with detailed system specifications. There is to be no argument about this anymore.

If you sign up here and wish to post a question for support, you MUST have a signature, or your posts WILL BE DELETED without question.

If you fail to make a sig and continue creating new threads asking support questions, you WILL be given a 7 day vacation (ban) and warned that if you come back, you MUST FOLLOW THE RULES OF THIS FORUM.

THIS IS STRAIGHT FROM THE RULES:

4A. Signatures - Updated 8/6/2005

As of today, August 6th, 2005, EVERYONE that signs up at this forum and posts here MUST put together a signature with detailed system specifications. There is to be no argument about this anymore.

If you sign up here and wish to post a question for support, you MUST have a signature, or your posts WILL BE DELETED without question.

If you fail to make a sig and continue creating new threads asking support questions, you WILL be given a 7 day vacation (ban) and warned that if you come back, you MUST FOLLOW THE RULES OF THIS FORUM.

Lowboy is 100% correct, those are the rules.

Now the reason we MUST have these rules is that as the primary support forum for DFI,

it is IMPOSSIBLE for any of us to trouble-shoot a system if we don't know what is in it! :eek:

Thanks to all for following these 100% necessary rules,

Dave ;)

hey guys - have a quick question about fortron 600 or 700w psu. Are 4x15A rails causing any problems on new vid cards? Dont they need more amps in an sli system? Here are some quotes from newegg - i tried to select some mix reviews:

Is a bit underpowered where the amperage is concerned over the 12v rails. Has issues powering 7900 GTXs when overclocking is involed.

Good power supply, however I overlooked at certain things that I needed to look even deeper when I was going into SLI world. I needed at least 18A within each of the +12 v rails. this thing only had 15A going through each rail. I tottaly overlooked at this. I called evga and they told me NEVER go by the wattage rating on the PSU, always look at the amperage going through the +12v rails, especially in SLI Enviroment.

BUT...I upgraded my video cards through EVGA's step-up program (which was an easy process--I highly recommend EVGA). Right after I built the system NVIDIA released the 7900 cards, so I upgraded to 2X 7900GT COs. I could only get the cards to run with SLI disabled--which, according to EVGA's tech support is due to the power supply (makes sense, since each card seem to be run OK by itself). The problem is that the cards require 18-20amps on the rail that powers the video cards, and this power supply has four rails that max at 15 amps. I can't blame the power supply, but I recommend double-checking your cards--wattage isn't everything.

This PSU can handle all 8 hard drives, seven cooling fans, two 7800GT's in SLI, and has never skipped a beat.

Even though four +12V rails are listed in this supply's specs, internally they are all on the same circuit and are NOT separate. So you can pull well over 15A (even over 20 or 30 or 40A!) on ONE of these rails, and as long as you don't go over the total for all of them, it'll be no problem. One other note, these are the supplies (along with the FX700) on which OCZ's GameXStream 600/700's are based.

Mine powers 2 7800 GTX in SLI oc'd, an oc'd A64 3800+ venice, dfi lanparty expert, 2gb mushkin ddr500, 2 hdd's, dvd burner, water cooling, fans, and it still keeps goin. I noticed a few days ago the power in my apartment was fading in and out but not totaly and I was busy gaming, and my computer never flinched. It didnt hang, lag or freeze, it just plowed right on through until the power stabalized. I am very happy with this sucker.

Mine powers 2 7800 GTX in SLI oc'd, an oc'd A64 3800+ venice, dfi lanparty expert, 2gb mushkin ddr500, 2 hdd's, dvd burner, water cooling, fans, and it still keeps goin. I noticed a few days ago the power in my apartment was fading in and out but not totaly and I was busy gaming, and my computer never flinched. It didnt hang, lag or freeze, it just plowed right on through until the power stabalized. I am very happy with this sucker.
Best of the group, as it is a "real life" experience.

I have never personally used this PSU, but I can tell you from experience that Fortron under-rates their PSU's.