Poor Overclocking Newer (ie:0503) Winchester Owners - Check This Out!

AndyOCZ

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.72V? Wow, how high is safe on these CPU's?

It seems I am Prime good for the last 9 hours at 250x9 at 1.50V in BIOS(1.472V in Smartguardian and cpuz). Woohoo!

Maybe more juice will get me to my target of 266x9. Maybe.... :)

Something is just not right there.

Check your timings against Angry's in the stickies. You should be doing much better even with a voltage issue.

Maybe your PSU is not up to the task. I recommend at 500w PSU with at least 22A on the 12v rails (combined if split rail design) to keep you out of trouble when overclocking. Raise this to 28A minimum if you have SLI. With 2 X 6800 Ultra in SLI and overclocking, 33A seems to do the trick.

Im really sick with this problem..... :drool:

I'm not having any luck whatsoever. On my MSI K8N Platinum SLI board, I could post and run at 219 fsb all day long.

On this board, I crash after a few hours in WoW even though prime and memtest work great. Last night I crashed at 215. I've gone down to 210 and will probably wind up all the way back at default 200, which is stable.

I've tried 2x, 3x, 4x, HTT and 9.0 FSB with no luck. I've tried all sorts of voltage mods. I can actually post - the MSi board would not post above 219 and required a CMOS clear. At least the DFI board will post. But it will not boot into windows past 220 and is not stable in WoW which eventually blue screens as I noted above.

I realize that I've been reading about compatibility issues with Kingston HyperX that is in my signature. I also tried this Mushkin PC3200 "Basic DDR" that I bought recently and it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

I am considering investing in the Geil TCCD stuff but am skeptical it will make a difference. I have also tried a 20 pin Seasonic that provides rock-solid voltage output, and due to the much hype and "peer pressure" and technical advice invested in the Antec PSU and it behaves absolutely no differently whatsoever.

I think I have an unlucky CPU that will not overclock period.

My settings in the board are on Andy's Post #15 in the "critical" thread.

hi andy.

i noticed some other wierd behavior. before with just using VID (special on auto) max i could go was 1.52 bios selectable in order to load win. i could prime 5 1/2 hours (1 1/2 passes of large fft w./ 767 custom (always failing at around the same FFT on the 2nd pass)) on a maxed out chipset V and vldt to 1.4. i dropped the VID and upped percentage to 123% to get 1.56 VID (after undervolt). after doing this, i had to drop chipset to 1.5-1.6 and vldt to 1.2. any more and it would not like it, with just using the percentage. i needed now 1.56 to prime just using percentage. unsure of how long i could prime, but i have a feeling it would be either 2 1/2 - 5 1/2 hours. the memory is fine at the mark i am trying to stabilize (memtest tested).

to add more to the wierdness.. a notch back on fsb/htt, and i cant prime. probly some divider wierdness.

im on 0447 cbbhd tpbw.

man this oc has been taking forever! hehe.

hi andy.

i noticed some other wierd behavior. before with just using VID (special on auto) max i could go was 1.52 bios selectable in order to load win. i could prime 5 1/2 hours (1 1/2 passes of large fft w./ 767 custom (always failing at around the same FFT on the 2nd pass)) on a maxed out chipset V and vldt to 1.4. i dropped the VID and upped percentage to 123% to get 1.56 VID (after undervolt). after doing this, i had to drop chipset to 1.5-1.6 and vldt to 1.2. any more and it would not like it, with just using the percentage. i needed now 1.56 to prime just using percentage. unsure of how long i could prime, but i have a feeling it would be either 2 1/2 - 5 1/2 hours. the memory is fine at the mark i am trying to stabilize (memtest tested).

to add more to the wierdness.. a notch back on fsb/htt, and i cant prime. probly some divider wierdness.

im on 0447 cbbhd tpbw.

man this oc has been taking forever! hehe.

Try disabling "Dynamic Counter" as we have had issues with that.

Well I tried 1.475Vx110%(1.584V in Smartguardian) and I still cant Prime for more than 1 minute :( HTT x3 and RAM running the 150 divider.

CPU loves to run at 250x9, 1.50 in BIOS, 1.472V(Smart Guardian), HTTx4, RAM divider 166. 12+ hours of prime no errors.

Maybe I just got a poor OC chip. Ah well, 2.25Gig is still Ok for a 1.8 price(too bad I just checked the prices where I bought, 13 days later, $45 cheaper for the stuff I got, dang St Patricks weeks sale!!) :)

Try disabling "Dynamic Counter" as we have had issues with that.

thx Andy will try that. At one point I had it disabled (before my settings were close to perfect) and it led to a bit more instability. I will try again though once I get home.

...but I do have OCZ 4200EL that I know does 310 (DDR620) and some customer's GEIL Ultra-X that is having a time doing 250 (DDR500)

My Geil Ultra-X rocks! check my sig. Running at DDR600 @ 2.5-4-4-8 1:1 @ 2.8volts.