Poor Overclocking Newer (ie:0503) Winchester Owners - Check This Out!

AndyOCZ

Hey guys,

I started this same topic over at Xtreme Systems and it seems to help quite a few get some decent overclocks. Maybe it's been covered here or it's buried in a read me post. Anyway heres what it's all about:

I bought an 0503 CBBHD Winnie and put it in my DFI NF4 Ultra-D only to be dissapointed by a low overclock (as I expected). Seems it would run memtest86 up 2650mhz, but no way would Windows load. I checked my voltage in MBM and Sandra and they were not following what I had set. I rebooted and changed the basic CPU VID value to 1.55v and I still had 1.42 volts (probably 1.45 which is default).

Frustrated by now, I decided to try lower the voltage to see if that would track. I tried 1.35v and it read fine in Windows. Hmmm..... so I set the voltage to 1.40v and the CPU VID Special Control to 123%. This read fine in Windows and i was able to hit 2610mhz stable in Prime95.

To sum up: I had a craptacular <2400mhz top overclock using the standard voltage adjustment in BIOS. By lower the voltage to 1.4v and using the overide at 123% I achieved 2610 P95 stable. Nothing ground breaking, but it turned a dissapointing CPU into the best one I have bought so far.

Let us know if this helps you.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good info Andy...I think I might try this myself since my 3200+ Winchester is very limited...seems to only run really stable @ 2475Mhz...it will bench @ 2520Mhz but it is definitely NOT stable and half the time freezes during a bench...

i use the ITE Smartguardian to measure the voltage...can you verify the same thing happens using it? (before i go bust out all the testing gear on it haha...but I do have OCZ 4200EL that I know does 310 (DDR620) and some customer's GEIL Ultra-X that is having a time doing 250 (DDR500)

btw, did you look in the bios to see if the BIOS was reporting the voltage correctly? PC Health?

i run 1.55v x 104% which is 1.612v

ive been tryin some other combinations yesterday and below 1.6v my cpu didnt like...

it did work when using 1.425v x 113%, which is about 1.61025 (a very lil less then 1.55v x 104%)

but when occt'ing i noticed that this last setting gave a variable voltage...

when idling smart guardian said it was 1.56v, but after occt'ing awhile it started quickly switching between 1.56v and 1.58v in smartguardian

1.55v x 104% gave me a stable 1.56v in smartguardian

so while 1.425v x 113% should normally be a lil less then 1.55v x 104%, it wasnt... it was actually more and variable...

so i switched back to the original 1.55v x 104%, since more cpu vid = more heat

good info Andy...I think I might try this myself since my 3200+ Winchester is very limited...seems to only run really stable @ 2475Mhz...it will bench @ 2520Mhz but it is definitely NOT stable and half the time freezes during a bench...

i use the ITE Smartguardian to measure the voltage...can you verify the same thing happens using it? (before i go bust out all the testing gear on it haha...but I do have OCZ 4200EL that I know does 310 (DDR620) and some customer's GEIL Ultra-X that is having a time doing 250 (DDR500)

btw, did you look in the bios to see if the BIOS was reporting the voltage correctly? PC Health?

Howdy there Angry,

It seems to me that in BIOS all looked cool, but in Windows, things got wierd. I didn't have Smart Guardian on the drive, but I know I was hella confused by the whole thing and hearly gave up.

Give it a shot. I believe this has something to do with Cool n Quiet on the CPU, but would need Oscar to verify that. I a running 1.35 VID and 123% on top of that right now and 2600mhz aint bad for a new winnie.

You dissapointed???? hehehehehe

I installed my system in saturday and I cant up 1 mhz with all default.....Clockgen crash if I up 1 mhz in HTT..... :confused:

Hey guys,

I started this same topic over at Xtreme Systems and it seems to help quite a few get some decent overclocks. Maybe it's been covered here or it's buried in a read me post. Anyway heres what it's all about:

I bought an 0503 CBBHD Winnie and put it in my DFI NF4 Ultra-D only to be dissapointed by a low overclock (as I expected). Seems it would run memtest86 up 2650mhz, but no way would Windows load. I checked my voltage in MBM and Sandra and they were not following what I had set. I rebooted and changed the basic CPU VID value to 1.55v and I still had 1.42 volts (probably 1.45 which is default).

Frustrated by now, I decided to try lower the voltage to see if that would track. I tried 1.35v and it read fine in Windows. Hmmm..... so I set the voltage to 1.40v and the CPU VID Special Control to 123%. This read fine in Windows and i was able to hit 2610mhz stable in Prime95.

To sum up: I had a craptacular <2400mhz top overclock using the standard voltage adjustment in BIOS. By lower the voltage to 1.4v and using the overide at 123% I achieved 2610 P95 stable. Nothing ground breaking, but it turned a dissapointing CPU into the best one I have bought so far.

Let us know if this helps you.

I tried to lower my volts so I could keep my fans super low speed funny it passed prime but was memtest unstable after lowering the volts to 2.55 per CPUZ that for me gives the same readings as smart gaurdian.

I will have to check some of the Voltage settings out to see if I can lower it again.

Hot DAMN!! I have something else to try now!!

My 3000 Winnie will boot 266x9 which was my goal, 2.4 Gig but fails prime immediately. I will try the special V adjustment you susggest and see if I can get 266x9 to prime for a few hours.

BTW, my 3000 is a 0451.

I have the same problem. My 0451 3200 winnie is rock solid at 2475 but at 2511 or higher it won't run SuperPI for more that minute at 1.55v with Special up to 110%. I tried a 0503 3200 winnie last night with the same results.

I will definitely experiment with this tonight. :nod:

I installed my system in saturday and I cant up 1 mhz with all default.....Clockgen crash if I up 1 mhz in HTT..... :confused:

Something is just not right there.

Check your timings against Angry's in the stickies. You should be doing much better even with a voltage issue.

Maybe your PSU is not up to the task. I recommend at 500w PSU with at least 22A on the 12v rails (combined if split rail design) to keep you out of trouble when overclocking. Raise this to 28A minimum if you have SLI. With 2 X 6800 Ultra in SLI and overclocking, 33A seems to do the trick.

Dont trust clockgen mine would crash if I lowered the FSB aometimes.