NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the guide. I just got my final part (CPU) in today and I'm starting my build later this evening.

I'm nervous as hell as I've NEVER bought a $500 processor, but the x2 4400+ was SCREAMING my name... I mean... two cores at 3x my current single core's clock speed... absolutely insane. I can't wait and yet it's still in the box it shipped in, lol.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Haven't bought my PC parts yet though my finalized plan (ordering it this weekend most likely) does include a Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D so I'll be following this guide (though I should do that with any PC put together).

But I have some AS5 and the part that says install heatsink. Should I just go ahead and put it on then or do all the intial testing to make sure everything is ok then apply the AS5 to it.

Edit: Guess I'll do it when the Heatsink is first put on. Reason why I asked is because just in case the processor is screwy :P. Can't wait to put my system together./

• 2 weeks later...

Suppose for a moment that a noob is running into issues with XP install... because he had installed things on a single SATA drive on a different mobo, but then went to DFI nF4 SLI-D board and SATA raid. :D

Suppose that this noob found this thread just now, and is debating what to do. He has done a successful memtest on his RAM at least, fixed his heatsink issues, and so forth, but not a whole lot else.

Should he:

(a) just wipe his HD's clean, reset CMOS, and start over, following this guide

or

(B) just try to reinstall XP (which is what he's been giving him problems)?

If the correct answer is (a), what steps would you recommend to reset everything in order to start clean?

Thanks,

-r

Either way because your switching motherboards you'd have to redo Windows. I've never had any luck moving Windows from motherboard to motherboard. If you've tested both sticks of RAM separately and they're both stable. As well as making sure the parts don't have any obvious problems with the motherboard As well as the other parts I'd think B would be just fine. Unless you want to reflash to the latest BIOS.

Though not so sure about your Power Supply. 430 Watts for the motherboard, two hard drives, and 2 DVD burners as well as other fans. Might cause some trouble.

Either way because your switching motherboards you'd have to redo Windows. I've never had any luck moving Windows from motherboard to motherboard. If you've tested both sticks of RAM separately and they're both stable. As well as making sure the parts don't have any obvious problems with the motherboard As well as the other parts I'd think B would be just fine. Unless you want to reflash to the latest BIOS.

Though not so sure about your Power Supply. 430 Watts for the motherboard, two hard drives, and 2 DVD burners as well as other fans. Might cause some trouble.

Thanks Laughing.

Is there a guide on these forums that explains how to best reset everything (like, for example, wiping the HD's for a fresh install?). I did a search, but... perhaps my search skillz suck too. :P

The PSU is being upgraded to a OCZ 520 Powerstream in a couple of days (as soon as it arrives from Newegg); I will be disconnecting everything I don't need to get the rig up and running until then (i.e, cpu, video, memory, floppy, 1 CD-ROM, 2 HD's). I'll probably install a XP-90 heatsink as well as soon as that arrives.

-r

If you're using a single drive there's no need to "wipe" it clean. Just follow the build guide and have fun...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6615

I'm running (or trying to run) a bootable RAID-1 array actually. Because I've installed Windows on one of the two HD's when it was on eVGA mobo, I'm thinking that I'm running into errors while trying to create the RAID array.

That's why I'm thinking maybe I have to wipe both HD's clean first, and reset anything else (CMOS? BIOS settings?) I might need to reset.

Thoughts?

-r

Always best with clean hdds eliminate as many problems as possible.

What tool/utility would you use for this? Killdisk? Something else? It has to be something that doesn't require an OS to run....

-r