NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello to everyone. I finally put up together my system yesterday. It is my first time to build one from scratch. I usually just buy dell or abs. Anyway thanks for ed for the helpful list.

It took me 3-9pm yesterday slowly reading the forum and checking out angrygames windows install raid 0 screen shots. So far no problem and the system is running with windows home xp upgrade sp2 slipstreamed. No need to buy the full version it will ask you to put in a full version of any microsoft os you have. I followed ed's list but skipped some of them, i put them all together in my pc65. I'm just using one ocz rev 2 stick right now and i havent

memtest it yet. How do i use the memtest included on the bios 3.10.05? I was searching for it but i don't know where to look. I wan't to test the memory first before a slap in the other one and try to OC it.

I also noticed that my fan on the xp90 HSF sometimes stop and turns on, is this on the bios where it tells it to stop when its too cold? I check the bios and it's temp is 34-37 deg.

And one problem, not a big one, i have with this lian li case is the HD-led and Power-led light in front panel doesnt light up. I know i have installed it right on the mother board. All the writing on the connectors is facing up right. The speakers, power switch and reset switch are working. Anyone has this problem?

I installed 77.7 and 66.6 nvidia drivers, flashed to 3.10 with first boot up, installed raid drives included with the motherboard with no problems.

Today i will connect the NEC dvd burner or should i do memtest first?

Last thing i forgot to get on my list, that dvd audio in connector. I don't have them included because all my stuff or oem from the egg. I will just buy them later.

When i was in the OS i have checked what drivers i was missing in the hardware list, only missing one was for the marvel so put in the new drivers from dfi and now i got the marvel and vitesse Lan working.

Question on the karajan module. Do i have to install the realtek drivers to make it work or is the drivers in the 66.6 will work?

Again thanks for this awesome forum, thanks to angrygames and Ed. You made my install so easy and fun. I'm excited now to build another one. I should really get that A+ exam and pass it. I've been reading the book for a long time but to lazy to take it.

Keep up the good work guys!

joey

Hello,

Well done :)

The front CASE LEDs, Rotate your connectors by 180 degrees, writing facing down.

Leds only light up if you connect them the right way.

Yes you can use the nvidia 6.66 AUDIO drivers, they are a bit better.

The DVD audio cable is only required if the program/drive is used as a CD player, and reads the sound directly from the track.

Most programs use high speed audio extraction and send all the data down the IDE cable.

So Audio will work.

If your drive has a play button on it and you put an Audio CD in and press the play button, you will need the audio cable.

And memtest is in the BIOS, GENIE SETTTINGS

Then look for, Run Memtest86+

And enable it.

To change the CPU FAN RPM settings, go to PC health.

And play around with FAN/TEMP RPM settings.

Set them to <25 and >25. (this will make sense when you see it)

themadgaffler, thanks i will try that.

Sharp, thanks. I will try to rotate the connectors for the HD-led and Power-led 180 deg.

I did connect it with the writting facing up following the specs on the dfi manual where the positive (2) on the right and negative (6) on the left, the connectors in the case has it that way with the writting facing up. Why will the other connectors for the Power switch, reset switch, speaker work and hd-led and pwr-led won't? Won't i short the motherboard if i do it the other way? (180 deg)

Regarding the audio drivers, that's what i have thought. I will try the audio later. I just want to connect the dvd to the karajan module so i can watch video with my headset.

I will try the memtest tonight and test the memory. How long should i test them?

I will also go to the bios to lower the temp settings so the fan won't stop at all.

Thanks guys for the help i really appreciate it.

@juysocal

The LEDs are diodes that only work with current flowing in one direction. You can no burn them up or short them out. Normally the colored wire is positive and the white or black wire is negative.

The switches are momentary types. They only make contact when pushed. There is no right or wrong direction to hook them up.

The mono speaker is alternating current so it doesn't matter which way you hook it up. It's different with stereo speakers but that's another matter.

exrodie, i guess i got them the other way. I will try to reverse the connections tonight thanks.

themadgafler, i'm using the platinum rev 2 tcc5. I'm doing the memtest86 right now with one stick on 2. It's doing Pass 38% now test 90%, test 7. So far so good. How many test will this program do? Maybe i will test them for 3 hrs each. Then i will slap them both and run memtest86 again.

I noticed that you have leadtek 6800gt, how do you OC this vc? I only have the leadtek 6600gt. Does it include any softwares for OCing this card?

hey guys change of subject :D. I have a couple questions i want to post before i actually get all my parts(only waiting on case and psu) so i have some time to review before initial setup. i plan on using ed's setup guide. awesome job. i am installing my hd's (wd 250gb 16mb) as raid 0 and i went through angry's setup but still have some ?'s.

1. y ntfs over fat?

2. is it wise to partition a drive for windows setup files only and if so how big should i make it?

3. when (according to ed's guide) should i install these raid drives/ers?(i am guessing on 4th boot i think it is, after initial install of ide/sata drives....).

4. should i input settings (memory and such) as angry's post for my setup in bios(this is on second boot). also, my mem is "advertized" at 2-2-2-5. i sort of understand what that means. read through all the mem posts but it seems overwhelming still. does it matter if i just want to get it up and running?(i want to OC it later but im a total n00b still have alot of reading to do).

thats it for now... thanks

hey guys change of subject :D. I have a couple questions i want to post before i actually get all my parts(only waiting on case and psu) so i have some time to review before initial setup. i plan on using ed's setup guide. awesome job. i am installing my hd's (wd 250gb 16mb) as raid 0 and i went through angry's setup but still have some ?'s.

1. y ntfs over fat?

2. is it wise to partition a drive for windows setup files only and if so how big should i make it?

3. when (according to ed's guide) should i install these raid drives/ers?(i am guessing on 4th boot i think it is, after initial install of ide/sata drives....).

4. should i input settings (memory and such) as angry's post for my setup in bios(this is on second boot). also, my mem is "advertized" at 2-2-2-5. i sort of understand what that means. read through all the mem posts but it seems overwhelming still. does it matter if i just want to get it up and running?(i want to OC it later but im a total n00b still have alot of reading to do).

thats it for now... thanks

Hey ho, chief!

1. y ntfs over fat?

NTFS every time

Probably most peeps will say yes. That way if windoze skrews up, you only need to reinstall it. In reality I only every have a single partition, unless I'm setting up multi-OS's

Err, you need to install these right at the start of the windows install, right where it says "Press F6 To Install Third Party Disk Controller"

Ok, no need to run before you can walk! (casts mind back dreamily to first exploits at OC'ing!!! :nod: Firstly, make up a bios flash disk with bios 623-3 (or 1 or 2 depending on memory). Do this now on any available PC, saves time later! Flash your bios BEFORE installing windows! Loads of fixes in this bios, save yourself a lot of grief by updating the bios with this! I could'nt actually do much until I got the CD with all the bios versions on it and updated. Then it was a breeze! Well apart from my WinXp+Sp2 on Raid0 on SATA2 drives on SATA2 ports, but that's another story!! :rolleyes:

Addendum: Once you've got a basic stable platform, that's when to start the tinkering! But just mind there can be a lot of reconfig'ing rebooting and shifting bits around! I've already rebuilt me PC acouple of times with twiddling with the insides! Gonna be doing that again later in the week once my Iceberg4 Pro comes in! Bye bye current northbridge fan/hs! :shake:

I have tried both rams on 2 & 4 last night no go. memtest froze everything on auto. I should have known i won't run in auto. I was running fine on memtest on one stick with auto settings, i guess it doesn't work on dual.

Anyway, i tried to change it to 2-2-5-2 in dram settings and everything auto. Still froze memtest. I guess i should try the settings by ryderocz tonight.

I wonder why the 3.10.05 bios doesn't see the ram (ocz el plat. rev 2) in auto settings.

It thinks it is 2-3-2-5 instead of 2-2-2-5.