NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

This thread is very important to a successful build. Please read the entire thread before starting your build.

The complete and updated instructions are located in post #49.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=49

Pay special attention to the board layout as seen below.

Make sure that all 4 power connectors are plugged into the board

# 24pin ATX connector.

# 4pin +12v P4 connector, near the ATX connector.

# Floppy power connector, under the CPU socket.

# Hard drive power connector, on top the chipset fan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2944&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2945&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2946&stc=1

Plug your GFX card in the PCIe slot

# Make sure it is inserted correctly into the slot.

# Connect any power cables to it if one is required.

Clear your CMOS for 10 minutes

# Remove the power cord from the back of the power supply.

# Move the CMOS jumper to the clear position and leave it there for 10mins.

# Make sure you move it back to the save position after.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2947&stc=1

Insert the memory into the Orange slots

attachment.php?attachmentid=2948&stc=1

Greetings everyone. Well, my parts have arrived and I am embarking on my first system build with my 12 year old son as a sort of learning experiece for the both of us. Parts on hand are in my signature. My priority is getting a stable and quiet system operating at stock speeds. OCing may come later, but for now it's not a priority.

I've read the mobo manuals a couple of times , familiarized myself with the mobo, read the stickies and the critical and non-critical threads, and most of the other related threads here for the past couple of weeks, and after freaking out that I got in over my head with this mobo, I've figured I'd make the best of it and see how it goes since some people seem to get up and running without a lot of problems. I've put together this step-by-step list of putting my computer together and, hopefully, running, to make the process as smooth as possible and I'd appreciate any input and advice from those more experienced than I, especially people who have got this board up and running recently. Anyway, here is the list and a few related questions. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Step-by-step procedure for DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D

1. Prepare mobo.

2. Install CPU and heatsink.

3. Install dual channel memory in slots 2 and 4.

4. Install mobo and I/O shield in case.

5. Connect case and CPU fans to mobo.

6. Install power supply.

7. Install video card.

8. Connect power supply to mobo.

9. Connect front panel connectors to mobo.

10. Connect monitor.

11. Connect keyboard and mouse.

12. First boot.

13. Install hard and optical drives.

14. Second boot.

15. Press DEL to enter BIOS

16. Input optimal BIOS settings from Rgone (Post 1) and Angry_Games screenshots (Post 18) from

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844

17. Third boot.

18. Run Memtest86 v3.2 (bootable CD downloaded from http://www.memtest86.com/)

19. Install OS (Windows XP Home) and format hard drive.

20. Install MB drivers from supplied CD.

21. Install video drivers from supplied CD.

22. Install monitor drivers from supplied CD.

23. Connect to internet through LAN.

24. Install Win XP updates.

25. Test speed and stability.

26. Hook up peripherals.

27. Load other software.

28. Enable Cool‘n’Quiet – download software from http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/cpucooler.EXE; enable Cool‘n’Quiet at Power Management in BIOS; set power option as “minimal power management” in control panel.

Questions – numbers below refer to the steps in the sequence from above.

1. Should I change any jumper settings or leave at defaults?

3. Should I try two sticks to begin to see if it works? Or just start with one stick in slot 2?

12. Should I make any changes in BIOS after first boot?

17. Should I anticipate the need to use different BIOS if I just want a stable system (no overclocking for now – just stable at stock speeds)? If so, how and which one, and at what point do I do this? I’m a little confused as to whether the stock BIOS will give me a stable system, or whether I need to flash to a new BIOS to get a stable system or an OC system stable.

23. Does it matter which LAN port I use – Vitesse or Marvell? I will be connecting this computer to cable internet that is routed through a Netgear WGT624 router that has one other computer connected. Should I anticipate making any changes in the BIOS in order for the LAN to work? Do I need to input any IP settings in either the BIOS or Win XP?

25. What are the best ways to test speed benchmarks and stability? At what point should I try to run Prime95? I’ve never used Prime95 before and I find the Prime95 website a bit confusing. Can I make a bootable CD (as I did with Memtest86), or do I download an executable file and then run it? If so, which one? What about OCCT? Do you download the version 0.91 .exe file from http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...:en-US:official

What about SiSoftware Sandra from http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/first_e.html?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Ed the first and foremost change I would make is to minimal install out on an insulated surface and check out mobo before ever installing all that stuff in a tight case. Experience has taught me this hard lesson over time. Then if all seems well it is still very much ready to put to the case.

RGone...

Actually Ed the first and foremost change I would make is to minimal install out on an insulated surface and check out mobo before ever installing all that stuff in a tight case. Experience has taught me this hard lesson over time. Then if all seems well it is still very much ready to put to the case.

RGone...

amen brotha

this is the first thing I do also...make sure once you got a vid card, cpu, stick of RAM in it, it will power up before going through and installing anything in a case lol.

Greetings everyone. Well, my parts have arrived and I am embarking on my first system build with my 12 year old son as a sort of learning experiece for the both of us. Parts on hand are in my signature. My priority is getting a stable and quiet system operating at stock speeds. OCing may come later, but for now it's not a priority.

I've read the mobo manuals a couple of times , familiarized myself with the mobo, read the stickies and the critical and non-critical threads, and most of the other related threads here for the past couple of weeks, and after freaking out that I got in over my head with this mobo, I've figured I'd make the best of it and see how it goes since some people seem to get up and running without a lot of problems. I've put together this step-by-step list of putting my computer together and, hopefully, running, to make the process as smooth as possible and I'd appreciate any input and advice from those more experienced than I, especially people who have got this board up and running recently. Anyway, here is the list and a few related questions. Thanks for any help you can provide.

1. Prepare mobo.

2. Install CPU and heatsink.

3. Install dual channel memory in slots 2 and 4.

4. Install mobo and I/O shield in case.

5. Connect case and CPU fans to mobo.

6. Install power supply.

7. Install video card.

8. Connect power supply to mobo.

9. Connect front panel connectors to mobo.

10. Connect monitor.

11. Connect keyboard and mouse.

12. First boot.

13. Install hard and optical drives.

14. Second boot.

15. Press DEL to enter BIOS

16. Input optimal BIOS settings from Rgone (Post 1) and Angry_Games screenshots (Post 18) from

17. Third boot.

18. Run Memtest86 v3.2 (bootable CD downloaded from http://www.memtest86.com/)

19. Install OS (Windows XP Home) and format hard drive.

20. Install MB drivers from supplied CD.

21. Install video drivers from supplied CD.

22. Install monitor drivers from supplied CD.

23. Connect to internet through LAN.

24. Install Win XP updates.

25. Test speed and stability.

26. Hook up peripherals.

27. Load other software.

28. Enable Cool‘n’Quiet – download software from http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/cpucooler.EXE; enable Cool‘n’Quiet at Power Management in BIOS; set power option as “minimal power management” in control panel.

Questions – numbers below refer to the steps in the sequence from above.

1. Should I change any jumper settings or leave at defaults?

3. Should I try two sticks to begin to see if it works? Or just start with one stick in slot 2?

12. Should I make any changes in BIOS after first boot?

17. Should I anticipate the need to use different BIOS if I just want a stable system (no overclocking for now – just stable at stock speeds)? If so, how and which one, and at what point do I do this? I’m a little confused as to whether the stock BIOS will give me a stable system, or whether I need to flash to a new BIOS to get a stable system or an OC system stable.

23. Does it matter which LAN port I use – Vitesse or Marvell? I will be connecting this computer to cable internet that is routed through a Netgear WGT624 router that has one other computer connected. Should I anticipate making any changes in the BIOS in order for the LAN to work? Do I need to input any IP settings in either the BIOS or Win XP?

25. What are the best ways to test speed benchmarks and stability? At what point should I try to run Prime95? I’ve never used Prime95 before and I find the Prime95 website a bit confusing. Can I make a bootable CD (as I did with Memtest86), or do I download an executable file and then run it? If so, which one? What about OCCT? Do you download the version 0.91 .exe file from http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...:en-US:official

What about SiSoftware Sandra from http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/first_e.html?

Answers:

1. Unless you are going to be using ram that requires more than 3.2Vdimm then I would say no.

3. Yes try with too (make sure you load optimized defaults and bump vdimm up a little 2.7 or 2.8)

12. If you load optimized defaults then you should not need to.. I think it goes, floppy.cd,hdd by default (i may be wrong)

17. I would suggest flashing to a newer bios, only because of the improvements that have been made. There are some that have had stables systems using the stock bios, but it is recommended by all to update. I would say update to at least 2/09 but 2/17 has been great to me (check out the Bios sticky at the top of the forum)..

23. I didnt, and I am using the Nvida lan (not the marvell) and it works fine, I have my connection going to my Dlink router and no probs at all... just make sure you load optimized defaults..

25. I would say that prime is the ultimate test of stability, although superpi 8M and over can give you a good indication of stability.. I would suggest that when you overclock, you test your system with superpi 8M and if there are no errors then keep going up or begin prime.. but if there is an error in the SuperPi 8M run then you have to change some settings.. I have read that prime should be run for 8 - 15 hours to really test stability, so leaving it overnight is the best way to do it.. Just make sure that you check your temps at full load and make sure they are not too high (they should stabalize after 15 - 30 mins of prime).. Prime blend runs the processor and ram at 100% for hours and finds errors, but after 8 - 15 hours of running prime if no errors then your system can be branded stalbe (the longer the better though)..

A good insulated surface? Any suggestions? Burbur carpet not so good? hehe

On a wooden table on the pad the MB shipped in is what I work on.

Another note. With dual channel memory it is much easier to get everything installed and running with one stick on the mem instead of both. Once you have it working nicely with one put in the second and pray. :)

On a wooden table on the pad the MB shipped in is what I work on.

Another note. With dual channel memory it is much easier to get everything installed and running with one stick on the mem instead of both. Once you have it working nicely with one put in the second and pray. :)

With dual channel memory it is much easier to get everything installed and running with one stick on the mem instead of both. AMEN... :nod:

Orange slot #2 closest to outer edge of mobo.

RGone...

Thank you for the suggestions and responses. I've revised the procedure and posted it below with a couple of additional questions. I know these are newbie questions, but that's what I am and I'm just trying to cover the bases. Any other tips or suggestions to make this build go as smooth as possible?

1. Place mobo on insulated surface (on wood table and pad shipped with mobo)

2. Inspect mobo, adjust jumpers as necessary.

3. Install CPU and heatsink.

4. Install 1 stick RAM in slot 2 (orange, closest to edge) (optional but not advisable: install dual channel memory in slots 2 and 4)

5. Install video card.

6. Connect power supply to mobo. EDIT:Input all four power connectors

7. Connect monitor.

8. Connect keyboard and mouse.

9. First boot. EDIT: Load Optimized Defaults/save and exit

10. Install mobo and I/O shield in case.

11. Connect case and CPU fans to mobo.

12. Install power supply.

13. Connect power supply to mobo. EDIT:Again ensure input all 4 power connectors

14. Connect front panel connectors to mobo.

15. Connect monitor.

16. Connect keyboard and mouse.

17. Second boot. EDIT:Set Update ESCD/will update DMI pool.

18. Install hard and optical drives.

19. Third boot. EDIT:Can turn off Update ESCD.

20. Press DEL to enter BIOS

21. Input optimal BIOS settings from Rgone (Post 1) and Angry_Games screenshots (Post 18) from

22. Third boot. EDIT: Is now fourth boot up.

23. Run Memtest86 v3.2 (bootable CD downloaded from http://www.memtest86.com/)

24. Install OS (Windows XP Home) and format hard drive. EDIT: For clarity this procedure is in this order. During install of WinO/s drives will be partitioned and then formatted to be able to use them and then Install of O/s continues. One additional note at this point. I would strongly urge using an install CD that has had WinXP SP2 slipstreamed into it; as it has updated drivers and DirectX9.0C in that SP2.

25. Install MB drivers from supplied CD.

26. Install video drivers from supplied CD.

27. Install monitor drivers from supplied CD.

28. Connect to internet through LAN.

29. Install Win XP updates. EDIT: Move to position ahead of #25 if not using Slipstreamed SP2 into/onto the install cd of Windows O/s.

30. Test speed and stability.

31. Hook up peripherals.

32. Load other software.

29. Enable Cool‘n’Quiet – download software from http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/cpucooler.EXE; enable Cool‘n’Quiet at Power Management in BIOS; set power option as “minimal power management” in control panel.

33. Install second stick RAM in Slot 4.

34. Reboot and run Memtest86 v3.2.

New Questions.

9. Is it advisable to connect the monitor, mouse, and keyboard at this minimal install? Or, at this first boot, am I just checking to see if everything powers up and monitoring the diagnostic LEDs? At what point am I good to go to migrate the parts to the case? Should I make any changes to BIOS, such as inputting optimal BIOS settings, or should I just wait until Step 20 to do that?

17. I’m still not clear on how to when to flash to a new BIOS. I’ve never done it before. I’ve read the stickies but I still don’t know exactly what I’m doing. I won’t have a floppy drive in this computer, and most directions seem to indicate the need to download a file to a floppy drive. Is there a different way to do this and, if so, a link to a good explanation? If I update to a new BIOS, at what step in my process should I do this?

33. Should I wait until Step 33 to install the second stick of RAM, or should I do this earlier? If earlier, at what step in the process is it “safe” to add the second stick?

9. Is it advisable to connect the monitor, mouse, and keyboard at this minimal install? Or, at this first boot, am I just checking to see if everything powers up and monitoring the diagnostic LEDs? At what point am I good to go to migrate the parts to the case? Should I make any changes to BIOS, such as inputting optimal BIOS settings, or should I just wait until Step 20 to do that?

It's kinda hard to press the DEL key without a keyboard.

17. I’m still not clear on how to when to flash to a new BIOS. I’ve never done it before. I’ve read the stickies but I still don’t know exactly what I’m doing. I won’t have a floppy drive in this computer, and most directions seem to indicate the need to download a file to a floppy drive. Is there a different way to do this and, if so, a link to a good explanation? If I update to a new BIOS, at what step in my process should I do this?

You should only update your BIOS if it fixes a particular problem you're having. Wait until you have a good reason to flash the BIOS>

33. Should I wait until Step 33 to install the second stick of RAM, or should I do this earlier? If earlier, at what step in the process is it “safe” to add the second stick?

The reason you run memtest is to qualify your RAM is functioning properly. There's no sense trying to install the OS if the system isn't stable.

To be honest, just don't be nervous, I went in this order for my first build.

1. Put PSU in case.

2. Put Mobo in case

3. Put ram in mobo

4. Put video card in mobo

5. Put dvd drive in

6. Put Hard Drive in

7. Put floppy in.

8. plug everything in

9. plug in mouse, keyboard, monitor.

10. boot up, check bios.

11. Install windows

I think I missed a step if I didn't thats what I did, my system was up and running all good. It did take 3 hours to build, damn screws and other minor problems, mostly with screws falling out, I should really buy a magnetic screwdriver next time. Good Luck.

17. I would suggest flashing to a newer bios, only because of the improvements that have been made. There are some that have had stables systems using the stock bios, but it is recommended by all to update. I would say update to at least 2/09 but 2/17 has been great to me (check out the Bios sticky at the top of the forum)..

flashing a bios is not a trivial issue to be taken lightly. I only recommend flashing to a later bios if it fixes a specific issue that you are having.

Thank you for the suggestions and responses. I've revised the procedure and posted it below with a couple of additional questions. I know these are newbie questions, but that's what I am and I'm just trying to cover the bases. Any other tips or suggestions to make this build go as smooth as possible?

1. Place mobo on insulated surface (on wood table and pad shipped with mobo)

2. Inspect mobo, adjust jumpers as necessary.

3. Install CPU and heatsink.

4. Install 1 stick RAM in slot 2 (orange, closest to edge) (optional but not advisable: install dual channel memory in slots 2 and 4)

5. Install video card.

6. Connect power supply to mobo. EDIT:Input all four power connectors

7. Connect monitor.

8. Connect keyboard and mouse.

9. First boot. EDIT: Load Optimized Defaults/save and exit

10. Install mobo and I/O shield in case.

11. Connect case and CPU fans to mobo.

12. Install power supply.

13. Connect power supply to mobo. EDIT:Again ensure input all 4 power connectors

14. Connect front panel connectors to mobo.

15. Connect monitor.

16. Connect keyboard and mouse.

17. Second boot. EDIT:Set Update ESCD/will update DMI pool.

18. Install hard and optical drives.

19. Third boot. EDIT:Can turn off Update ESCD.

20. Press DEL to enter BIOS

21. Input optimal BIOS settings from Rgone (Post 1) and Angry_Games screenshots (Post 18) from

22. Third boot. EDIT: Is now fourth boot up.

23. Run Memtest86 v3.2 (bootable CD downloaded from http://www.memtest86.com/)

24. Install OS (Windows XP Home) and format hard drive. EDIT: For clarity this procedure is in this order. During install of WinO/s drives will be partitioned and then formatted to be able to use them and then Install of O/s continues. One additional note at this point. I would strongly urge using an install CD that has had WinXP SP2 slipstreamed into it; as it has updated drivers and DirectX9.0C in that SP2.

25. Install MB drivers from supplied CD.

26. Install video drivers from supplied CD.

27. Install monitor drivers from supplied CD.

28. Connect to internet through LAN.

29. Install Win XP updates. EDIT: Move to position ahead of #25 if not using Slipstreamed SP2 into/onto the install cd of Windows O/s.

30. Test speed and stability.

31. Hook up peripherals.

32. Load other software.

29. Enable Cool‘n’Quiet – download software from http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Driver/cpucooler.EXE; enable Cool‘n’Quiet at Power Management in BIOS; set power option as “minimal power management” in control panel.

33. Install second stick RAM in Slot 4.

34. Reboot and run Memtest86 v3.2.

New Questions.

Ed you see my edits? I do those things and recommend them as well. Now here is the point of me putting the edits in place. When you finish modifying it to reflect the procedure as you intend to follow it> will use it as a "how to" for new users and that will be a great help. They can print it out and know the overall basics and skip steps at their own wish. Thank you for your efforts.

RGone... :cool: