10044779ch.th.jpg

Yes I know blurry pics lol but my hands just shake constantly

must be the caffeine

Id love some constructive criticism :nod:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did any of you guys running the Antec Super LanBoy change the low speed 120mm fans or somehow got them to flow at 12v? Great setup for both of you. Very very nice, great job.

Note: The reason i'm asking is that i'm lacking the knowledge of how to change fan speed. I know it's easy to hook them up to a fan controller and blah blah, but these 120mm (two) are not doing a good job and was wondering if i can get them both to speed up to 2000 or just go and buy two new fans and junk these. Any ideas...

Guest caffeinejunkie

Well the biggest wire issue is the molex/floppy for my board

Im in the process of making another one so im able to hide it because my current one isn't long enough to reach my cd and be hidden from sight lol

and I could easily hide the wires form my xp90 but im just lazy lol

it's really alot cleaner in r/l then it looks

just my bad camera skillz

You can pick up a molex pin remover then move the pins to the appropriate position.

I changed my 120mm exhaust fans to intake fans on the Antec P160 and SuperLanAlterBoy. There are more than enough holes in the chassis to vent the air.

Changing the rear fan to intake dumps room air right onto the RAM and CPU. It did wonders for my temp without changing the fan speed.

Did any of you guys running the Antec Super LanBoy change the low speed 120mm fans or somehow got them to flow at 12v? Great setup for both of you. Very very nice, great job.

Note: The reason i'm asking is that i'm lacking the knowledge of how to change fan speed. I know it's easy to hook them up to a fan controller and blah blah, but these 120mm (two) are not doing a good job and was wondering if i can get them both to speed up to 2000 or just go and buy two new fans and junk these. Any ideas...

You can pick up a molex pin remover then move the pins to the appropriate position.

I changed my 120mm exhaust fans to intake fans on the Antec P160 and SuperLanAlterBoy. There are more than enough holes in the chassis to vent the air.

Changing the rear fan to intake dumps room air right onto the RAM and CPU. It did wonders for my temp without changing the fan speed.

-=UPDATE-=

Yes, i'm putting a 120mm intake fan on the side case window because i know the difference it will make. I have to use my dremel and mount the fan on the window. Thank you for your suggestions. Specially the guy that has picks of the mods, thank you. So it's just the black and yellow/red 12v/5v wires i'll need eh? The 120mm fan has thin red/black wires and it's like this..

from 120mm fan to 12v PSU

1- red (thin wires) to yellow (thick wires)

2- black(thin wires) to black (thick wires)

3-empty

4-empty

So it's going to the 12v, but the fan seems low speed. It's because of the current that the wire can produce? Thick 12v yellow wire going to thin 5v wire doesn't make any sense. Color doesn't matter anyway, but the reason must be the thickness of the PSU yellow wire that can't produce enough current to go through the thin red wire to the 120mm fan. What can i do, i'm curious now...

heres some pics of wire mods for your fans if i read your thread right

Okay i'm sort of confused about the difference of 5v, 7v, and 12v. 5v is red, 7v, you got the red wire to yellow and the black to red? 12v seems the same how i have it hooked up, but the molex cable that i'm using from the 520 Modstream has only one wire of each, yellow, black, black, red. The picture that has the connection for 12v, has two wires of each, wtf?

So it's going to the 12v, but the fan seems low speed. It's because of the current that the wire can produce? Thick 12v yellow wire going to thin 5v wire doesn't make any sense. Color doesn't matter anyway, but the reason must be the thickness of the PSU yellow wire that can't produce enough current to go through the thin red wire to the 120mm fan. What can i do, i'm curious now...

Wire gauge has nothing to do with volts; it has to do with the amps. Smaller wire gauges don't require more current to "push it through"; what happens is smaller gauge wires can't tolerate as much current (amps) because there isn't enough conductive mass to distribute the current evenly, and the wire begins to dissipate excess current as heat. This is called resistance. If the wire's not getting hot then there isn't enough resistance to cause a problem. I doubt that tiny motor could ever draw enough current to cause a problem. In fact it's almost impossible. But just to make sure, is the wire getting hot?

Okay i'm sort of confused about the difference of 5v, 7v, and 12v. 5v is red, 7v, you got the red wire to yellow and the black to red? 12v seems the same how i have it hooked up, but the molex cable that i'm using from the 520 Modstream has only one wire of each, yellow, black, black, red. The picture that has the connection for 12v, has two wires of each, wtf?

Red is 5v, yellow is 12v, and black is ground.

5v: red to red and black to black. This is the standard configuration.

7v: red to yellow and black to red. Connecting the fan's ground to a hot wire seems counterintuitive to me, but apparently it works.

12v: same as 5v, except you change the supply from the 5v red wire to the 12v yellow.

The reason there are two wires going into each pin on the molex is because the other wire is going to another molex; it's still the same thing though.