Folding Using The Linux SMP Client Under Windows

Nemo

Okie Doke, I'm running it. How much ram did you guys assign it?

I'm tempted on just dual booting with a 64bit linux distro, forgot how much more fun linux was :D

Edit: Wow this is fast! :thumbs-up: *Wonder's what kind of PPD I'll get with a 3.5ghz Core 2. I already see that I'm about 5 minutes faster than injs :D

On one machine it was 896 I think it was, all I had left, the other I gave 1740mb

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where i show how much i truly don't know. Just some questions

Are you running ubuntu as the only os or is it a dual boot?

It says on the guide you wont screw up your windows install so is this going to another partition? Do i need to set one up?

Is this running ubuntu and windows at the same time and the vmware allowing you to monitor or switch back and forth?

Just a bit confused.

This is where i show how much i truly don't know. Just some questions

Are you running ubuntu as the only os or is it a dual boot?

It says on the guide you wont screw up your windows install so is this going to another partition? Do i need to set one up?

Is this running ubuntu and windows at the same time and the vmware allowing you to monitor or switch back and forth?

Just a bit confused.

VMware Server sets up it's own little virtual machine, this is where you install ubuntu. It creates a virtual partition in your C drive which is why it says that when you format it in the virtual machine, it won't screw with anything because it's in it's own little mini partiton. It's basically making a virtual environment for another OS within an OS

BUT you can skip all this by dual booting or using it as a main OS

but it really isn't that hard to setup. Take a look at my screenshot above, as you can see, I'm running Ubuntu in VMware which is running in windows

Edited by The Unforgivin

Here's what the folder VMware makes loosk like on your HDD (8GB Ubuntu Partition here, though for folding you can use less than 3GB)

ubuntu64vm.gif

Note the 8GB file, that's where Ubuntu think it "formatted" and then installed not touching XP.

hahah looks like nrg needs to set it to update the guest OS clock to keep it with the system :lol:

so your clock is perfectly synched in ubuntu under vmware server?

nm... i figured out how to install vmware tools and enabled time sync...

slowly but surely, i'm becomin less of a linux noob lol

and... now i've added f@h to the startup programs... getting there... heh

Edited by hardnrg

I have the same problem. im getting all excited because i was doing a 500 point wu at 2 minutes a frame, and then i check like 15 minutes later and was only 2 frames more along :foldon:

I have about 6 minutes a frame at 3.2GHz. Laptops are to gonna submit sometimes today/tomorrow (dang this Celeron crap is slow!!), GPU client should be in for another WU sometimes today/tomorrow...

I noticed something weird about the SMP client, I load at about 5C less running that, with the GPU client taking the other 25% of the CPU load. Me likeys!

VMware Server sets up it's own little virtual machine, this is where you install ubuntu. It creates a virtual partition in your C drive which is why it says that when you format it in the virtual machine, it won't screw with anything because it's in it's own little mini partiton. It's basically making a virtual environment for another OS within an OS

BUT you can skip all this by dual booting or using it as a main OS

but it really isn't that hard to setup. Take a look at my screenshot above, as you can see, I'm running Ubuntu in VMware which is running in windows

Thanks both of you. I will have to try this now.