2yr. boxer chews on things when we're gone

Nerm

Nerm, out of curiosity, why didn't crating work?

Well, obviously it does work while she is locked up in it, but as soon as she is left out to roam the house while we are gone for more than an hour or two and she chews again. We are trying to break her of this habit and not keep her locked up because of it. In other words it works fine while she is locked up but it hasn't broke her of the habit so that she stops so we can leave her out of her cage. I mean if she is locked up she isn't doing a very good job of protecting the house while we are gone lol.

The weird thing is he NEVER chews on anything while we are home. It is only when we are away. The problem that this presents is that we want to leave her out so that she can have the freedom to roam the house and protect the house if necessary.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I see what you mean. My GF's dog does the same exact thing...never chews at all when we are home. Lucky for my GF, she just leaves for long periods of time for work and class and locks the dog in the bathroom with a baby gate so it doesn't feel too locked up. Nothing to chew in there...but you're right, it doesn't teach her not to chew. Well, good luck with it.

bosco, yes I wear bra's every chance I get. I like going to walmart in nothing but women's underwear and run around the store. haha

I have a new sig quote :lol:

The wife and I had a boxer. Her name was Molly. When she was little she would chew everything. The tv remote was her favorite and we replaced 4 of them. Pig ears got her out of the habbit. I kept giving her pig ears and after a week she took to chewing only the pig ears. After nine years we lost her to cancer. Though good memories remain. She was a very protective and loyal dog. Boxers are great dogs.

My cousin and his wife have a 1 1/2 yeard old great dane that did the same thing. It would destroy anything when left alone. And not just little stuff or leaving teeth marks on big stuff. I mean turning a chair into splinters. :O The solution was another dog (an Italian mastiff). Yeah, they like big dogs. They used to have an English mastiff before the dane, but it decided it liked my aunt better. :lol:

The wife and I had a boxer. Her name was Molly. When she was little she would chew everything. The tv remote was her favorite and we replaced 4 of them. Pig ears got her out of the habbit. I kept giving her pig ears and after a week she took to chewing only the pig ears. After nine years we lost her to cancer. Though good memories remain. She was a very protective and loyal dog. Boxers are great dogs.

I have given her toys to chew on but not pig ears. I guess I could try that.

btw, yes Boxers are great dogs. I will never own another bread of dog again.

My cousin and his wife have a 1 1/2 yeard old great dane that did the same thing. It would destroy anything when left alone. And not just little stuff or leaving teeth marks on big stuff. I mean turning a chair into splinters. :O The solution was another dog (an Italian mastiff). Yeah, they like big dogs. They used to have an English mastiff before the dane, but it decided it liked my aunt better. :lol:

I have had a few people telling me another dog would help, but one 80lbs(female) Boxer is expensive enough lol.

Hey Nerm.

Our dog Lily had these same issues. We were dead set against crate training, and tried keeping her area semi-confined by placing a baby gate between the kitchen and living area so she had the whole kitchen to be in... All she did was gnaw the paint off the walls for a week straight... All the way down to the sheetrock and then some...

The crate has completely changed her attitude. Its not a temporary thing dude. They learn that this is their "bed" or "den" or whatever and grow comfortable with it. It gives them a place all their own, and as long as they have been taken out to pee before you leave for work or whatever, you should be able to close the door and they will be fine for up to 10 hours, sleeping mostly.

The only caveat is that once you get home, and let them out, they will have a ton of energy, so be ready to play!

cdoggown, I know where you are coming from on the crate thing. The dog has spent the first two years of her life in one when we are not home. The only problem I have with this is: What is the point of having a large breed dog capable of protecting the home if it is locked up and not able to do anything if say a burglar broke in?

lol @ bosco! :P

What is the point of having a large breed dog capable of protecting the home if it is locked up and not able to do anything if say a burglar broke in?

If thats why you bought your dog then I understand... We bought ours simply because we wanted a friend :blush:

had to go thru this with not one but TWO bigger dogs (snots is about 140lbs and enu is about 160lbs) at the same time. not pig ears, but those gigantic rawhide bones work wonders. for them pig ears were something to swallow whole before the shitsus could get them (aussie is 7lbs and lyvie is 5lbs)