Sign in to follow this  
Nerm

2yr. boxer chews on things when we're gone

Ok, bigred posted a dog question earlier and so I figured I could post my dog question haha. :P

I have a two year old boxer that has a bad habit of chewing on things while Kim and I are gone for more than a couple hours. She especially likes shoes, bra's, tv remotes, and stereo speakers.

Anybody have any idea's on how to break her of this? I have tried rolled up newspapers, discipline with items chewed and nothing seems to work.

Crating. I know it sounds horrible, but thats what we had to do with my dog. Everytime you leave the house for an hour+, into the cage they go. After a couple of weeks, dogs will get the hint...

There is this really sour dog spray (doesn't have a smell), you can spray it on your furniture area he is chewing. That's what we did to my dog, he also learned that the bathroom is outside this way -.-

You just gotta associate that when he chews on the furniture, he'll be punished. Won't take long for him to understand it's time to stop.

Really the only way to do it is to catch it in the act, however there is a way. When you find shoe that the dog has chewed on take the dog by the collar and hold the shoe an inch from its nose. Give the dog very firm negative comments to show that you are very displeased. Some dogs you may have to swat with the shoe, no not hit don't mutilate the dog that is just cruel, but just give it a quick swat not to hurt but again to show you are displeased. When the dog is acting good give it some kind of treat and positive comments. This builds up an order with the dog so that it will understand when you are angry so as not to do the act and when you are happy.

First off I didn't know you wore bra's :blink: But what you do in your own time is your business :lol:

Try some pepper spray or Cayenne pepper, it sounds mean but it doesn't have any long lasting effects.

dogs have an incredibly sensitive nose. if the dog needs punishing, esp when young, either rub their nose (remember the saying?) in the damaged goods with the negative comments, or when not possible, bring them to said item and a firm but NOT vicious swat across the nose (no other body parts) and it will definitely learn.

the animal may well be lonely. have you tried leaving the tv or radio on for company?

I do not want to be anywhere near your house when your fiance finds out you doused all her underwear with Cayenne pepper.....

or put the dog into a room that it cannot get out of and has minimal chewing ability. Some people put their dogs outside in the dog house too...but if the dog likes to bark, neighbours may get pissed off.

Crating is probably best. Not only does it not bother dogs after they get used to it but it acts as a "den." Be careful with punishment because you may turn the dog into a submissive peeing dog. Some dogs will pee when threatened to show that you are the master. My girlfriend's dog has this problem. Silverfox, rubbing the dog's nose in its waste is a terrible idea and all it does is make the dog scared of you. You have to teach the dog the right place to go to the bathroom by congratulating it when it goes outside. All rubbing its nose in the waste will do is make the dog scared to go to the bathroom in front of you and you may prevent the dog from ever learning to go to the bathroom on walks. There is tons of information about this online and in books written by professional trainers... I know because my girlfriend and I had serious issues with her new dog at first. Now the dog knows hand signals for sit and lay down...I don't even have to be looking at the dog, just make the hand sign and it will sit or lay down when we want her to.

Thanks for the idea's guys. I have actually tried all of these already except for that "spray" Arkady mentioned and the Cayenne pepper idea.

I have been told by other dog owners that she may be doing it because she is lonely. So, today I am tried leaving the radio on when I left. I will find out tonight when I get home if it helped any.

btw, Nemo I wouldn't wanna be home when Kim finds that out either. lol :lol:

bosco, yes I wear bra's every chance I get. I like going to walmart in nothing but women's underwear and run around the store. haha