Upcoming Core2?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That article does say Brisbane expected in December, but one has to wonder how realistic that is given that December is what... a day away? I mean fine, they've got the whole month to still make a "december deadline", but given that we've seen basically nothing on these chips yet, I have to doubt it. Paper launch maybe. And even still, the clock speeds don't seem to be any different than their current offerings, and from a seemingly dumb shrink, can we really expect big non-mhz related improvements like what we saw from Conroe? Core2 was a totally new design, these new AMD chips are just a shrink. I'd love to see AMD take the crown back, but I'm not expecting it.

Those articles also indicated that the K8L chips are slated for Q3 of 07. For those of you screaming about matching Conroe with K8L, please not that that is a full year late. That argument's shot so full of holes it's down to shreds. And what, you might ask, has AMD slated for the debut of K8L? A Quad-Core. Good lord, I gonna need a vise to put my hands in to keep from typing that rant again.

It's nice to see AMD moving to 65nm soon, and would be even nicer if they'd offer it on 939 for folks like me (though that possibility seems to dwindle daily), but I'm really having a hard time believing that AMD will be on top again in the near future.

sorry for asking this but does anyone know where to find the socket K8l will be using anywere. cause if it going to use ddr2 i was going to start buying a nice set of ram.

we really don't know... we don't if there going to stick with am2 (there's talk of them switching to am3 <_< ) or even ddr2 (once again, talk of going ddr3) (sorta like the 754 to 939 deal)

We literally don't know ANYTHING about it :(

Edited by The Unforgivin

Here's what we have:

3032_large_AMD_Nov2006_Roadmap.png

Agena, Kuma, Rana, and Spica cores are all K8L. K8L will switch the nomenclature of the cores from cities to stars.

You'll notice that all of the sockets for these chips are the same as before, but with a '+' on them. One could reasonably assume that this means that it'll be the same physical socket, but will support more features (specifically the HTT 3.0 technology). It has been said that the HTT 3.0 chips will be backwards compatible (though in a crippled sense) with old HTT 1.0 sockets. So it's fair to assume that the physical socket will remain the same. It also appears that none of them will be moving away from DDR2.

Sorry, I should have said December would bring the 65nm chips and not K8L, but I always refer to every 65nm chip as K8L. It's a habit since when AMD first announced their 65nm chips, they only mentioned K8L and not the "fillers." Only the last few months did all these code names get released and the distinctions between RevG and RevH/K8L become clearer. So I should have said to wait and compare Brisbane to Conroe as that's 65nm vs. 65nm and that's what I meant. I hope you didn't think I meant to wait 'til September...I thought I was pretty clear in saying a couple of months and not a year from now :P

Hehe, thanks for all the posts guys :) and sry for the little arguement that started.

I am now quite confident that a conroe would be the way to go atm. The main reason i am happy about waiting is a) christmas usually brings money b) i haven;t actually decided wether to build my own comp yet, i am just reseaching it incase i do decide (and also it is interesting hehe)

Again, ty for all the responses