Upcoming Core2?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you should also realize that Conroe is a generation after AMD's current chips. K8L was always supposed to be the competition (65nm vs. 65nm), not AM2 as noobs seemed to claim.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. That's the same hype you were throwing around three months ago. Why should I give half a turd if Conroe vs. AM2 is "fair"? How does "fair" effect the situation at all? At the rate things are going, K8L won't show it's face until half a year after Conroe's launch. So what, we just don't compare AMD and Intel during that time? Is Conroe "off limits" until AMD puts out a 65nm chip?

Seriously, I don't get the logic at all. I mean it's bad enough saying it now, but you were saying it three months ago too, which was even worse. How is AM2 not the competition for Conroe? Until newegg has a K8L section, AM2 is it. Either you compare to that, or you forfeit. Are we just supposed to imagine the K8L benches? As far as I can see, it's just a dumb shrink, so how much performance should we realistically expect? Plus, doesn't Intel have 1066FSB chips coming too? I mean it's not like they're just laying down.

You can shout about how AM2 isn't the match for Conroe til you're winded and raspy, but until K8L comes out, it your point is moot. I can buy a Conroe TODAY (3 months ago, actually). I still have no benches or comparisons of any kind for K8L, not to mention a release date.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. That's the same hype you were throwing around three months ago. Why should I give half a turd if Conroe vs. AM2 is "fair"? How does "fair" effect the situation at all? At the rate things are going, K8L won't show it's face until half a year after Conroe's launch. So what, we just don't compare AMD and Intel during that time? Is Conroe "off limits" until AMD puts out a 65nm chip?

yeah, why don't you just take one portion of what I wrote and comment on that without reading the rest :rolleyes:.

FYI, AM2 = socket, Conroe = cpu

I'm not going to repeat myself, so why don't you go back and read the rest of my post as that sums up a reply to your post.

yeah, why don't you just take one portion of what I wrote and comment on that without reading the rest :rolleyes:.

I'm not going to repeat myself, so why don't you go back and read the rest of my post as that sums up a reply to your post.

I did read your whole post, in fact I read it twice, and I agreed with a good chunk of it, which is why I didn't question that stuff. However, I disagreed with your statement about comparison (which is why I quoted it, and then reponded to it... isn't that how quotes work?). Would you rather I quote each line I agreed with and put a "with stupid"? Would that make you feel better?

My point is to say that this whole "you have to compare Conroe to K8L" thing is getting old. How can we compare to K8L? Besides, until it's on the market, the whole point is moot. If you want to compare for purchase today, K8L is out of the question. Within the next month; almost assuredly still out. 3 months; still iffy. I don't see how the rest of your previous post responds to that point, so the whole "I'm not going to repeat myself" seems rather out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Intel fanboy. Look at my sig. Look at my profile and you'll see my last 4 CPUs have all been AMD. The last Intel I bought was still a slot-loader (PIII 500). If anything, I'm an AMD fanboy. I'd much rather buy an AMD, and when Intel took the crown, I was a bit saddened. But enough's enough. K8L is looking to be at least 6 months behind Conroe. That's not direct competition, that's called "missed the boat". Intel will have 1066s by then, and AMD's going to have an even tougher time pulling ahead. And when K8L comes out, do we have to wait six months for Intel's next release in order to compare? No. You compare whatever is available now, regardless of whether they're "meant" to be compared.

If you want to wait 3 months for better technology, then go for it, but realize that in all likelihood you're going to have the same debate then between Intel's new stuff and AMD's 65nm. I don't see anything in the near future that's earth-shattering. You can wait 3 months, and then when you get there you can wait 3 months for the 9800GTX, and then 3 months for Core3 Duo, etc. It never ends. If a big launch is a month away, I say wait. Otherwise, just buy when you want to buy. If you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll never buy anything.

FYI, AM2 = socket, Conroe = cpu

I really think we're beyond that level of nit-picking these days, don't you? Do you really think I don't know that? You know perfectly well what I'm saying.

I do know what you're saying, but you're the one that was nit-picking first, so I felt I had to do the same. You took out one sentence out of the 50 I wrote that I didn't use to justify anything else I stated. I didn't tell him to wait for K8L because AM2 isn't Conroe's competition, but rather gave him scenarios to determine whether he should or shouldn't wait.

The thing I don't understand is why people would make a decision on what cpu to get now if they don't plan on building/getting their new rig for a month or two. And that is why unless he plans on building it soon, which based on what he says, he doesn't, then there's no point to make a decision now when we should see benches/comparisons soon. It's not that I'm telling him to wait and get K8L, I'm saying wait and see which is better at the time he'd actually be getting a new cpu.

EDIT: As you can see, AMD plans on releasing their 65nm chips in Decemeber, which, if you want to be cynical, means we'll see them before the end of January. Here's another article.

Lets just make this plain and simple and less fancy for him because all it is, is a simple question.

IF YOU WANT A NEW RIG RIGHT NOW GET A CONROE, AND SCREW K8L AT THE MOMENT.

i heard Intel 45nm samples are out now... doesn't seem all that long ago that 90nm was new heh

:withstupid: I'm with verran here, by the time K8L does get on market, intels conroe refresh/45nm chips will be out.... I dunno, but i'm starting to worry for AMD here :(

Well I don't know about others, but I made sure to always state that K8L wouldn't be out until 1Q07 the earliest.

Considering how far ahead AMD was in gaming before Conroe, you have to hand to Intel for retaking the lead, but it wasn't as substantial a lead as I would have hoped and guessed, esp. looking at the increase in peformance elsewhere.

i think personally that 6 months (seeing as Conroe was available since June if I recall) is pretty significant. 6 months is half a year - a half year of intel sapping sales from AMD.

thats my $0.02 :)